2018 Roster Discussion

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
FWIW, Chanot made an instagram post saying he's looking forward to "this feeling" again. The post is a picture of him celebrating in front of the Supporters Section.
giphy.gif

If he's staying, why the F was he in the unprotected list? Have to think he would have brought LAFC a nice return in a trade.

We could only protect a certain about of international players. He was likely the least international to be selected based on salary. So he strategically left him off the list.

If he's staying, why the F was he in the unprotected list? Have to think he would have brought LAFC a nice return in a trade.

Because they knew LAFC wasn't going to take him and they wanted to protect someone else who had a better chance of being taken. Asset management.

Reactions: canchon
We could only protect a certain about of international players. He was likely the least international to be selected based on salary. So he strategically left him off the list.

The correct answer here is Maxi Moralez of course, unless he has a no trade clause.

do DP's ever not have "no trade clauses" ? i feel like all have the this clause ....or better question is has a DP ever been traded or drafted in expansion

DP's do not have to be protected unless they have a no trade clause. Many DPs have been left off protection lists over the past few expansion drafts but I'm not aware of any that have been taken. As a new team starting it seems unlikely that you would use one of your 3 DP slots on a cast off from another team. That would make for some seriously challenging marketing.

Last edited:
Question, if we get Jesus Medina is he a DP? And if he is how do we feel about that?

Reactions: Kjbert

I think the TAM status of Ring and Chanot for 2018 are an open question. They were TAM last year, but their salaries are below TAM level, which means the only way they qualified last year was due to a transfer fee. Transfer fees are charged to the salary cap in the year they are paid, except that each team is allowed to amortize over the life of a contract for one player.

My guess is that we are amortizing one of these guys - probably Ring - and the other will not be TAM.

This is all just FYI. Hopefully, we know for sure in the coming weeks.

Oh, and Matarrita is now TAM as well.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Because they knew LAFC wasn't going to take him and they wanted to protect someone else who had a better chance of being taken. Asset management.

This. For example, guys like Tommy Mac (I know folks, UUU and all that but he is a guy on a reasonable MLS salary who might be a better fit with another team) and Sweat (utility guy on reasonable salary) would potentially be taken, and you don’t want to lose them for anything. Heck, unprotecting Khiry was a subtle way of saying he’s on the market, so you take the risk of losing him, but if you don’t, then you are basically saying “give me trade offers”.

With Chanot, I am hoping that the club explained to him that he was unprotected because of his “high” salary but they had every intention of bringing him back, and if he got picked they would have looked at throwing some GAM to get him back if he was picked, plus LA had just traded for a CB, etc.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Rawls wasn't signed until 2016 :handpointup:

In my original post with the roster image I wrote he was drafted in 2015, but didn’t join us till 2016. I went with acquired, not signed; because that’s the Braintrust that chose that player.

Reactions: NYCFCfan

Chanot needs surgery as the injury wasn't healing on its own. LAFC likely did not want to select someone that will be returning from surgery and hasn't played in quite some time.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert