2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
If we took on Medina's transfer fee all in his first year's salary (above DP threshold), does that mean his base salary for the following year (if below the DP threshold) can be paid with TAM and open a DP spot?

2018: $650,000 salary + $4mil fee = $4.65mil on the books
2019: $650,000 salary on the books -- still DP?
etc.

Possible?
Not sure and I'm not even sure MLS knows. I've spoken to a few people that have a lot more knowledge than I about the way it plays out and all of them pretty much came back with the same answer: No one knows because MLS changes the rules every year.

Apparently the way it's supposed to be is that his transfer fee is supposed to be broken down and spread throughout his contract, so each year would essentially have a $1,000,000 added to it because of this. But in the past, teams have been allowed to buy down DP contracts that were higher than the $1.65 per that he's getting, so it's a big gray area.

Also note: It's only been very recently that MLS teams have even begun to pay transfer fees on players, let alone fees this high, so this is all kinda new territory for everyone, league included.
I may be confusing this with another rule, involving TAM, but isn’t there a 1x/year contract allocation that does just what you’ve suggested (front-load the contract in year 1 regarding the transfer fee)?

If he can be bought down to a non-DP cap hit, he can stay, but if he’s still occupying one of three DP spots, he’s got to go. He’s soft, slow making decisions, and has not shown he can take over a match.

Reactions: COLINMOUTH
Added a poll, I'd like people's thoughts on the matter. Even though we see the reports that the front office is not going to do so...if that's even true at all.

Lets bring Benedetto and Pratto or Kun Agüero and Silva

If NYCFC does this... I know it cares about us

ooof benedetto would be awesome, single handily destroyed montreal in that final and killing it in the libertadores. I think Europe is his destination especially if they win the libertadores.

Added a poll, I'd like people's thoughts on the matter. Even though we see the reports that the front office is not going to do so...if that's even true at all.
I answered yes, (obviously) but I would like to add a little caveat to my answer. If the FO is going to replace Villa with a Villa-like player- big name, absolute baller, requires actually splashing some cash- then I am okay not resigning Villa as a DP. But, as it has been talked a lot about around here, if the FO is going to go cheap and get another Medina-like player, then I would rather have Villa back as a DP

Reactions: Kjbert
Bigger waste:

Medina or Berget?
Medina by far. He occupies a spot that isn’t bound by resources spent to secure the contract. He faded as the season went on and couldn’t take over a match all the while every effort was made to get him on the field. Berget was hamstrung playing the same position as the caption of the team - he had no place as long as Villa was playing, so he wasn’t put in positions to succeed.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
Medina by far. He occupies a spot that isn’t bound by resources spent to secure the contract. He faded as the season went on and couldn’t take over a match all the while every effort was made to get him on the field. Berget was hamstrung playing the same position as the caption of the team - he had no place as long as Villa was playing, so he wasn’t put in positions to succeed.

he didnt succeed because of his inability to win 50/50 balls, his awful touch, and terrible shooting. Villa had nothing to do with any of that.

EDIT: i feel like weve been disagreeing a lot lately. Would like to point out its not personal just coincidence.

he didnt succeed because of his inability to win 50/50 balls, his awful touch, and terrible shooting. Villa had nothing to do with any of that.

EDIT: i feel like weve been disagreeing a lot lately. Would like to point out its not personal just coincidence.
Must’ve been doing something right to be the leading scorer last year in Sweden. Unless of course they play last man back as keeper.

No worries- I know it’s not been personal.

Bigger waste:

Medina or Berget?
Medina. Berget did his part as a backup striker, which is what he was brought in to do, even though he sucked.

Medina occupying that DP slot makes it a no-brainer. Take that spot away, and you'd have a better argument for Berget being a bigger dud, but as it sits it's Medina.

I know people ragged on Maxi his first year (Like it on the record, I've been a Maxi guy from day 1). Don't know if Medina will have that jump in production come next season after being fully acclimated to the league/travel/style but personally, I don't see the talent. Much like Kangaroo says here, he doesn't seem to have the ability to be a quality winger in this league, or at the very least, be worthy of occupying that space. To this point, he's easily the worst DP in our history, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kangaroo Jack
This ain’t it chief - berget is garbage. Nemec was miles ahead of Berget

Reactions: Futbolkicks
Medina. Berget did his part as a backup striker, which is what he was brought in to do, even though he sucked.

Medina occupying that DP slot makes it a no-brainer. Take that spot away, and you'd have a better argument for Berget being a bigger dud, but as it sits it's Medina.

I know people ragged on Maxi his first year (Like it on the record, I've been a Maxi guy from day 1). Don't know if Medina will have that jump in production come next season after being fully acclimated to the league/travel/style but personally, I don't see the talent. Much like Kangaroo says here, he doesn't seem to have the ability to be a quality winger in this league, or at the very least, be worthy of occupying that space. To this point, he's easily the worst DP in our history, IMO.

really? i still have pirlo as our worst DP ( due to what happened in nycfc not his career obviously)

Bigger waste:

Medina or Berget?
Berget 870k cap space for barely a bench player, you really have to question the talent evaluation of Reyna on the berget signing. Let's hope he is gone we can use the 870k to find a quality player.

Medina is soft but young and he is talented not sure how good he will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
berget, medina to me showed glimpses of what he could do and was bit on a roll (plus he still young). Berget didnt ( though he was placed in bad position at times) and he just seems injury prone and not worth it. He was injured and out a month in pre season.
It's a tough question to answer. I'm waffling between the two this year as I think they've both been a bit more useful than some give them credit for, but they've also both been quite disappointing.

I will say, that if Medina can turn a corner next season, that his disappointments for this season become a bit more bearable.

Reactions: Christopher Jee