2021 Roster Discussion

I said this at the end of last season.. this year is going to be rough. I felt that the club was moving players to lower expenses rather than making room for incoming transfers. With COVID lowering revenues and minimizing likelihood of Euro players transferring it just felt like they would take the year off.
giphy.gif

Letting go of Taty, for me, is further example of what this organization is trying to do this winter. We've had great regular season success, but have collapsed every year in the playoffs. David Lee could have kept everyone together, relied on the playoffs as being a crapshoot, and tried to give the group another kick at the can. But letting go of Ring, Matarrita, and perhaps Taty, Lee is making it very clear that the recent results aren't good enough and something needs to change.

Will it work? Who knows. But the wholesale changes say to me that this is a team that wants more than just regular season success. Taty is part of the group that has continued to no-show in the biggest games. If you're no good to me in October, then why are you good enough for me in April?

I’d have an easier time believing it if the FO hadn’t spent much of the last few offseasons telling us how important roster continuity was to our strategy. Suddenly we’re pivoting to “score against Orlando or GTFO”?

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
I’d have an easier time believing it if the FO hadn’t spent much of the last few offseasons telling us how important roster continuity was to our strategy. Suddenly we’re pivoting to “score against Orlando or GTFO”?

Chanot
Callens
Johnson
Medina
Sands
Ibeagha
Maxi
Shradi
Tinnerholm

All players that have been here for at least 3 seasons, that's a huge part of the core. Currently the only two we got rid of from that core are Ring and Matarrita. That screams consistency to me... That's almost an entire XI worth of players. Getting rid of three players doesn't scream the same thing to me as it does to everyone else. As well, it seems quite roster continuity-ous to me

...At the same time, I'm not defending the FO in the lack of signings. I'm starting to get a bit worried, but i'm still hopeful. https://www.nycfc.com/2021-transaction-tracker still exists, and it's weird they'd put it up if they werent' expecting anything....

-edit-

Would like to add I didn't include taty in there for obvious reasons, but if he does end up staying that would be 10 players with 3+ seasons, though it seems unlikely he's staying

Last edited:
Chanot
Callens
Johnson
Medina
Sands
Ibeagha
Maxi
Shradi
Tinnerholm

All players that have been here for at least 3 seasons, that's a huge part of the core. Currently the only two we got rid of from that core are Ring and Matarrita. That screams consistency to me... That's almost an entire XI worth of players. Getting rid of three players doesn't scream the same thing to me as it does to everyone else. As well, it seems quite roster continuity-ous to me

...At the same time, I'm not defending the FO in the lack of signings. I'm starting to get a bit worried, but i'm still hopeful. https://www.nycfc.com/2021-transaction-tracker still exists, and it's weird they'd put it up if they werent' expecting anything....

-edit-

Would like to add I didn't include taty in there for obvious reasons, but if he does end up staying that would be 10 players with 3+ seasons, though it seems unlikely he's staying

So why get rid of Taty? Is he somehow more responsible for our playoff failures than any of the guys you’ve listed? He doesn’t earn more than most of them, he’s played more minutes than most of them, he’s contributed more counting stats than most of them.

If our strategy is suddenly to get rid of the expendable guys who consistently choke in the playoffs (while still keeping the core of the squad intact), why sell our young, promising top scorer? Why sell our only healthy striker as opposed to say, the two center halves who make twice as much money and shit the bed with individual errors when it matters most?

There’s a simpler explanation to me. If you’re going to draw a Venn diagram around all the players we’ve sold, in hope of trying to find a strategy, the only thing I see they have in common is that they’re in demand and can get us some kind of value in return. Taty’s a good young player, on a favorable contract and ample potential. There’s no compelling reason to move him along other than the fact that someone might pay us to do so, and the money is (for some reason) more attractive to us right now. I’m not panicking about this team yet, but right now this looks more like a fire sale than a strategic rebuild. No need to pretend there’s some masterplan at work.

So why get rid of Taty? Is he somehow more responsible for our playoff failures than any of the guys you’ve listed? He doesn’t earn more than most of them, he’s played more minutes than most of them, he’s contributed more counting stats than most of them.

If our strategy is suddenly to get rid of the expendable guys who consistently choke in the playoffs (while still keeping the core of the squad intact), why sell our young, promising top scorer? Why sell our only healthy striker as opposed to say, the two center halves who make twice as much money and shit the bed with individual errors when it matters most?
They did. They got rid of Ring and Matarrita, who are exactly what you mention when it comes to playoffs choke. Taty is a side character in that.

I'm pretty sure there is an obligation to buy for around $11M. He will almost certainly be at Leeds next season.

did not know this. Thank you. So more GAM.
He’s good enough to play for City. He’s been fantastic this season.

I think the entire attacking group needs to be revamped. They can keep Heber, everyone else is expendable.

THIS.
I’m ok with this move. Should have moved him last season.
I also share the concern about a thin front line.

I’m surprised that people are so confident about Heber this season. Isn’t he coming back from and ACL tear? Mitrita gone. Taty gone.
Who are we relying on to score?

Reactions: Kjbert
I’m surprised that people are so confident about Heber this season. Isn’t he coming back from and ACL tear? Mitrita gone. Taty gone.

It's not that I'm confident in Heber -- it might be summer before he's back. I am, however, confident that they will be bringing in some new attackers. Look at what they've done this offseason -- Ring was excess at that position, Taty was an underachieving attacker, Matarrita was a guy who collapsed in big games and who we were begging to be layered over -- the team is taking a look at its weaknesses and trying to address them.

With the hope that they finalize some signings, I'm relatively optimistic about the way this offseason has gone. They're making tough, but necessary decisions. Hopefully their recruitment is successful. If it is, I think we'll be happy.

It's not that I'm confident in Heber -- it might be summer before he's back. I am, however, confident that they will be bringing in some new attackers. Look at what they've done this offseason -- Ring was excess at that position, Taty was an underachieving attacker, Matarrita was a guy who collapsed in big games and who we were begging to be layered over -- the team is taking a look at its weaknesses and trying to address them.

With the hope that they finalize some signings, I'm relatively optimistic about the way this offseason has gone. They're making tough, but necessary decisions. Hopefully their recruitment is successful. If it is, I think we'll be happy.
Always appreciate your optimism and I hope you are right.
Personally, I liked what I saw from Taty from the beginning as I thought he showed some nice skills and power to his shot. It was great to see him elevate his game in 2019 and I figured there was room for more to come. Seems like I’m in the minority on Taty.
As far as the team we have left;
I’m not feeling as good about Keaton as I did at one point, Maxi is on the wrong side of his career, I don’t have that much confidence in Medina, Ibehaga doesn’t get the juices flowing, Gudi is Meh, Rocha gives me nothing to be excited about, Cachca is a ?... Love Sands but, bound for europe?
Anton, Chanot, Callens (Chanot has had some Matarita type moments)
We will see...

Reactions: Revfugee
Personally, I liked what I saw from Taty from the beginning as I thought he showed some nice skills and power to his shot. It was great to see him elevate his game in 2019 and I figured there was room for more to come. Seems like I’m in the minority on Taty.
I’m not feeling as good about Keaton as I did at one point, Maxi is on the wrong side of his career, I don’t have that much confidence in Medina, Ibehaga doesn’t get the juices flowing, Gudi is Meh, Rocha gives me nothing to be excited about, Cachca is a ?... Love Sands but, bound for europe?
We will see...

with ample playing time, isi could give us consistent scoring. but he is an injury concern. we also have jasson, who could become a breakout star for us. i'm still upset that we didn't lock down derosario. that is a big mistake by the club if they didn't even try.

We will see...

All fair criticisms. I think they're going to sign 3-4 attackers, one of them a DP, and hopefully a DP No. 10/winger who can deputize for Maxi this year and take over for him next year. In his interview at the start of the offseason, David Lee was pretty specific in saying it was going to be a busy offseason. We haven't seen the fruits of that yet, but I can't imagine they're getting rid of all these guys without a pretty good idea who they're replacing them with. Just because we haven't heard rumors doesn't mean we don't have oars in the water.

with ample playing time, isi could give us consistent scoring. but he is an injury concern. we also have jasson, who could become a breakout star for us. i'm still upset that we didn't lock down derosario. that is a big mistake by the club if they didn't even try.
I do like ISI and feel bad for leaving him out of my equation. Sometimes he can shine. Without a whole lot to base this on I do wonder about his conditioning and there are injury concerns.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
I do like ISI and feel bad for leaving him out of my equation. Sometimes he can shine. Without a whole lot to base this on I do wonder about his conditioning and there are injury concerns.

His frequent muscle injuries are a concern for me as well. It's almost the same as Heber. Both are frequently injured and never truly get to top form. If both were consistently playing, I think we'd score a lot more. Especially Isi. His left foot is killer for shooting and service, works well with Tinny, and gives us 1v1 ability to throw off defensive shape and create space. We practically had zero 1v1 dribblers in 2020.

they needed new attackers. That’s why I’m ok with these moves

Reactions: ZYanksRule
I guess it would be tough for him to resist The Copa Libertadores champs. Though at the same time it sort of says something about the quality of South American club football if their current champs want Taty?

I'd honestly be happy with a whole new front line though I know that brings up issues of Gelling . Heber's healthy season seems like a real long time ago now. I hope he proves me wrong like Harry Kane constantly does his detractors but I still think he's as likely a one season wonder as an MLS superstar in the making.

I guess it would be tough for him to resist The Copa Libertadores champs. Though at the same time it sort of says something about the quality of South American club football if their current champs want Taty?

I'd honestly be happy with a whole new front line though I know that brings up issues of Gelling . Heber's healthy season seems like a real long time ago now. I hope he proves me wrong like Harry Kane constantly does his detractors but I still think he's as likely a one season wonder as an MLS superstar in the making.

It might cause us to get off to a slow start this season or to even struggle completely. We've been in the playoffs every year except for our first year. If the team needs to take a step back in order to go forwards, I'm OK with that. Unlike many of you, I do think CFG wants this team to be successful, so I have a higher level of trust than most do about the plan.

Reactions: FootyLovin