2021 Roster Discussion

So we get a % of any sell on for Harrison right?
At this point, is it more likely he’s playing for City next season than sold? He can play for City. Having a fantastic year. What’s ironic is that he’s probably more of a Klopp player

So we get a % of any sell on for Harrison right?
At this point, is it more likely he’s playing for City next season than sold? He can play for City. Having a fantastic year. What’s ironic is that he’s probably more of a Klopp player
I'm pretty sure there is an obligation to buy for around $11M. He will almost certainly be at Leeds next season.

Reactions: Kjbert

I said this at the end of last season.. this year is going to be rough. I felt that the club was moving players to lower expenses rather than making room for incoming transfers. With COVID lowering revenues and minimizing likelihood of Euro players transferring it just felt like they would take the year off.

I said this at the end of last season.. this year is going to be rough. I felt that the club was moving players to lower expenses rather than making room for incoming transfers. With COVID lowering revenues and minimizing likelihood of Euro players transferring it just felt like they would take the year off.
Is there any mention of this being a season long loan? This is starting to happen across the league with the later start date and a potential lockout coming up. Daryl Dike just went out on loan, Brian Fernandez, and a few others.

If this is just sending Taty down there on a short term basis to get him some playing time when there is none to be had here, then great.

Is there any mention of this being a season long loan? This is starting to happen across the league with the later start date and a potential lockout coming up. Daryl Dike just went out on loan, Brian Fernandez, and a few others.

If this is just sending Taty down there on a short term basis to get him some playing time when there is none to be had here, then great.

I mean, loan "with option to buy" is telling enough for me.

The report says full year so all of 2021. of course the report says its very close and negotiations are still being done so we dont know for sure. I wonder if he will play in the club world cup.

I mean, loan "with option to buy" is telling enough for me.

all loans say this but i think its case by case with the MLS players. i dont think a championship team will pay 20M for Dike even if they get promoted to the premier league, same with Brian Rodriguez, Almeria does not have the means to pay over $15M for a player either even if they are promoted. With Taty depends what his clause is since im not even sure how many more years are in his contract. He may actually get bought if he is good in this loan spell.

Last edited:
The thing is, even if you are right (and you might be) they have to bring in several players just to fill out the roster. We can't go through a season with 20 players, which is what I think they have now.

I believe it would have been a lot easier to stand pat and minimize costs by keeping the players we have, and I have to offer the periodic reminder that almost none of the player salaries cost NYCFC or CFG anything because almost all salaries with very limited exceptions are paid by the league. The only exceptions are DP costs above the DP max budget charge, and the very mysterious Optional Discretionary TAM, which we don't even know if NYCFC ever used (and I don't think we ever assumed they did) and if so how much, and it's pretty limited anyway. If a club does not spend it's full regular roster budget, I'm pretty sure it does not get a refund from the league. And if you don't spend non-Discretionary GAM or TAM those amounts either roll over or expire, depending on various factors. There is no rebate.

So getting rid of a lot of non-DP players -- even if they are expensive by MLS standards -- and replacing them with lower compensated players, does not save the club or the mothership anything, except again maybe an undisclosed amount of Discretionary TAM (which again we never thought they spent). If they do not replace those players with a similar amount of salary costs then they're just letting money waste.

If the club goes cheap on the DPs, then that's different.

Last edited:
Breaking News:
Reports from insiders at NYCFC indicate that former Philadelphia 76ers GM Sam Hinkie has been an unofficial consultant working with David Lee since the end of the 2020 season. NYCFC brass have been referring to the clubs direction as “P2” or “Process Two”. “The Process” is the name for the 76er method during the Hinkie era that happily allowed losses to pile up in order to amass high draft picks. “The Process” earned the organization the dubious record for the longest losing streak in American sports history (27 games) while winning a mere 9 out of 82 games.
Sources say that some NYCFC staff have been referring to “P2” as “PU” and the likeness of cartoon character Pepe Le Pew has been appearing around the office. NYCFC supporters may find the pigeon replaced with a skunk as the unofficial mascot this 2021 season.

David Lee’s office did not respond to questions in regards to this reporting.

The thing is, even if you are right (and you might be) they have to bring in several players just to fill out the roster. We can't go through a season with 20 players, which is what I think they have now.

I believe it would have been a lot easier to stand pat and minimize costs by keeping the players we have, and I have to offer the periodic reminder that almost none of the player salaries cost NYCFC or CFG anything because almost all salaries with very limited exceptions are paid by the league. The only exceptions are DP costs above the DP max budget charge, and the very mysterious Optional TAM, which we don't even know if NYCFC ever used (and I don't think we ever assumed they did) and if so how much, and it's pretty limited anyway. If a club does not spend it's full regular roster budget, I'm pretty sure it does not get a refund from the league. And if you don't spend non-Optional GAM or TAM those amounts either roll over or expire, depending on various factors. There is no rebate.

So getting rid of a lot of non-DP players -- even if they are expensive by MLS standards -- and replacing them with lower compensated players, does not save the club or the mothership anything, except again maybe an undisclosed amount of optional TAM (which again we never thought they spent). If they do not replace those players with a similar amount of salary costs then they're just letting money waste.

If the club goes cheap on the DPs, then that's different.
Oh those MLS rules very few of us know about. You’re right then, still begs the question why they would get rid of two of our best forwards. Could be they expect a lockout or they have a replacement in mind. We’re left with Jasson, Heber and ISI.

To be honest, I'm kind of OK with letting go of Taty. Always a player with lots of potential, but his inconsistency was maddening. I don't think he was part of the answer. I wrote here earlier in the winter that they needed to make wholesale changes to the forwards group, and it sure looks like that's the route they are taking.

To be honest, I'm kind of OK with letting go of Taty. Always a player with lots of potential, but his inconsistency was maddening. I don't think he was part of the answer. I wrote here earlier in the winter that they needed to make wholesale changes to the forwards group, and it sure looks like that's the route they are taking.

the problem is that now i feel like the pickings are slim since the transfer window closed and other teams are not willing to let go of players.

Taty's "inconsistency and potential" results in enough production for me to keep around especially as our forward depth is actually rather shallow.
He's also only 22 and has time to grow into a better player. My biggest complaint is the dramatic flopping.

Just for comparison:
Taty 11G 7A
Maxi 7G 20A

Taty 6G 3A
Maxi 1G 4A

Taty's "inconsistency and potential" results in enough production for me to keep around especially as our forward depth is actually rather shallow.
He's also only 22 and has time to grow into a better player. My biggest complaint is the dramatic flopping.

Just for comparison:
Taty 11G 7A
Maxi 7G 20A

Taty 6G 3A
Maxi 1G 4A

Letting go of Taty, for me, is further example of what this organization is trying to do this winter. We've had great regular season success, but have collapsed every year in the playoffs. David Lee could have kept everyone together, relied on the playoffs as being a crapshoot, and tried to give the group another kick at the can. But letting go of Ring, Matarrita, and perhaps Taty, Lee is making it very clear that the recent results aren't good enough and something needs to change.

Will it work? Who knows. But the wholesale changes say to me that this is a team that wants more than just regular season success. Taty is part of the group that has continued to no-show in the biggest games. If you're no good to me in October, then why are you good enough for me in April?

Letting go of Taty, for me, is further example of what this organization is trying to do this winter. We've had great regular season success, but have collapsed every year in the playoffs. David Lee could have kept everyone together, relied on the playoffs as being a crapshoot, and tried to give the group another kick at the can. But letting go of Ring, Matarrita, and perhaps Taty, Lee is making it very clear that the recent results aren't good enough and something needs to change.

Will it work? Who knows. But the wholesale changes say to me that this is a team that wants more than just regular season success. Taty is part of the group that has continued to no-show in the biggest games. If you're no good to me in October, then why are you good enough for me in April?
It could mean that or it could mean "the results are good but we can't / don't want to hold onto them bc of higher powers making decisions about it"

So then who do you keep? Seems like everyone should go except for Gudi and Cacha? Taty been on the team for three seasons and is still fairly young.

Hi everyone, welcome to the first day of training camp, please settle in. First, let's go around the room and have everyone introduce himself to the rest of the group. Please also tell us a fun fact about yourself so that we can get to know you better.

So then who do you keep? Seems like everyone should go except for Gudi and Cacha? Taty been on the team for three seasons and is still fairly young.

I think the entire attacking group needs to be revamped. They can keep Heber, everyone else is expendable.