2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wow, that's a much higher number than I expected, this season is really starting to look promising.
That may be a little high for the First Team. We only have so much in the budget, and we can only put 11 guys on the pitch at a time (ref: Chelsea).

But we'll see. No doubt we're getting better, fast. And personally, I don't think we were all that bad to begin with. The first half in Nashville may be the worst we play all season, and we still had a couple decent rips at goal.

Is there a restriction to how many players are allowed on the roster? If they're going to bring in 6 or 7 new players I would imagine some current guys will have to be cut loose. Yes? No?

Is there a restriction to how many players are allowed on the roster? If they're going to bring in 6 or 7 new players I would imagine some current guys will have to be cut loose. Yes? No?

Teams can carry 30 players. We're short of that right now, but I don't know how they count guys like Taty, Mitrita, and Acevedo.

Reactions: Gene
Teams can carry 30 players. We're short of that right now, but I don't know how they count guys like Taty, Mitrita, and Acevedo.
Kind of figured there was a limit, but I never realized it was that high of a #.

MLS 2023 Roster Rules and Regulations

Reactions: Kjbert
30 Players. Doesn't include players on loan or only signed to NYCFC II.
  • Top 20 are the senior team. These are the only ones that count against the salary cap.
  • Spots 21-24 are for players earning the senior minimum salary ($85K) and Generation Adidas players.
  • Spots 25-28 are for players earning the reserve minimum salary ($67K).
  • Spots 29-30 are for homegrown players earning the reserve minimum salary ($67K).
Homegrown players can fit into any of the spots 21-30 even if they earn over the senior or reserve salaries, subject to an overall cap on the aggregate amount above the limit.

It's a little hard to sort out where everyone sits on the list. Presumably, some or even all of our homegrowns are somewhere in spots 21-30 (Benalcazar, Carrizo, Grey, Haak, Jasson, Jiminez, McFarlane, Owusu). Sands is a homegrown too, but might now make to much to be in the Supplemental Spots.

The Club's roster includes notes about which roster status a player has, and it shows the following players in the Supplemental Roster.*
  1. Senior Supplemental (21-24): Barraza, Mizell
  2. Reserve Supplemental (25-28): Freese (he retains his homegrown status from Philly), Haak, Segal
  3. Reserve Homegrown (29-30): Gray, Jasson
They don't mention anything about Benalcazar, Carrizo, Jiminez, McFarlane or Owusu being in the Supplemental Roster, but I assume at least some of them are. That suggests that we are full on the Supplemental Roster, but could always move someone up to the Senior Roster if it made sense.

That would leave us occupying 15 of the 20 spots on the Senior Roster, including Sands. So, we'd have room for Santi plus 4 others.

I suppose we could also second someone to NYCFC II and free up another spot or two as well.

---
* - When I look closely at what the Club says about the status of various players, I don't think they put much effort into making sure it is accurate or keeping it current.

So no DP Striker then.

If Santi is a DP, where is the $2.0 million we saved from Johnson, Callens and Tinnerholm? Assume some went to Sands. Ilinic just replaced Acevedo on the U22.

Not gonna lie -- if we have Santi, Magno, Pereira, and a young striker the club thinks highly of up front, Sands disrupting things in the midfield, and Barraza playing competently, I don't hate the idea of shelling out good money for another dominant CB.

I know that's not the most popular opinion, but where else would big money be as impactful?

Reactions: Kenny and Kjbert
Not gonna lie -- if we have Santi, Magno, Pereira, and a young striker the club thinks highly of up front, Sands disrupting things in the midfield, and Barraza playing competently, I don't hate the idea of shelling out good money for another dominant CB.

I know that's not the most popular opinion, but where else would big money be as impactful?

You know I love to just disagree. So don’t take this personally.

I think the XI will become
Barazza
Cufre
Sands
Martins
One of the current RBs
Morales
Parks
Santi
Talles
Gabby
CF

You’re not going to get 30+ games out of Chanot.

Reactions: Kenny
Santi
Sands
Striker
CB
Ledezma

That's 5, and all obvious needs. Only 1-2 more get you to 6-7.
And we've already brought in Segal, Alfaro, Cufré and Ilenic. Count them along with Sands and (I'm assuming) Santi, leave out the wants and maybes, and that's six already. So, did Sims mean 6-7 total, or 6-7 more? The latter seems an awful lot, especially with all the depth we have at the Deuce.

Very surprised. So we still need a starting caliber CB and a CF.

LCB, yes. is alfaro left footed? i don't think so. we need a starting, experienced LCB.

CF as long as he's hungry and has an engine, he will learn and find goals with santi, parks, talles, and gabby feeding him.

LCB, yes. is alfaro left footed? i don't think so. we need a starting, experienced LCB.

CF as long as he's hungry and has an engine, he will learn and find goals with santi, parks, talles, and gabby feeding him.

I would like to see if Talles looks any better with Santi as the 10. I know it wasn't working last year necessarily, but we should give Talles a chance at that spot after we have a proper No. 10 in the lineup.

Reactions: JCMore and Kjbert
I would like to see if Talles looks any better with Santi as the 10. I know it wasn't working last year necessarily, but we should give Talles a chance at that spot after we have a proper No. 10 in the lineup.

nope. talles has too much to learn and he hasn't shown he has learned anything through preseason. leave him on the wing. he's not a #9 and he's not going to become a good #9. average at best. a HUGE waste not to leave him on the wing where he was hugely productive last year with a proper #9 creating space for him.

We need a Callens replacement.