2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
he was hugely productive last year with a proper #9 creating space for him.
And Talles Magno creating space for the nine. He has the ability to drag defenders around and get them out of position and open things up for the center-forward. We just need the guy who can get into dangerous places and shoot.

i doubt we'll find someone that will fill his shoes right away, but yes. we need someone who can be strong and develop into a true callens replacement with a natural left foot.

Chanot and Martins is worse than Callens and Chanot three years ago and Callens and Martins last season.

So we’re worse at GK, LCB, RB, #10 and CF right now.

I’m hopeful on Barazza. I think Santi can give us everything Maxi did, but we have no depth there. And Gray absolutely kills this team going forward.

We need a true differentiator like Vela or Cucho in this team I’m afraid. Need one guy that allows you to paper over the other flaws.

The other issue with Talles, and why I don’t think they go out and get a 9, is that they’ve sunk probably $12 million into him already. They have 15 months to sell him on. They can’t let him age out of the Youth DP spot on the roster.

The front office absolutely has to make him a CF if they want to recoup what they spent on him. They need him to go for $20 million and he won’t be that guy from the LW

Reactions: Gene
The other issue with Talles, and why I don’t think they go out and get a 9, is that they’ve sunk probably $12 million into him already. They have 15 months to sell him on. They can’t let him age out of the Youth DP spot on the roster.

The front office absolutely has to make him a CF if they want to recoup what they spent on him. They need him to go for $20 million and he won’t be that guy from the LW
They're not getting $20 million for an ineffective striker. So, if it's a question of asset value (and to be honest, I don't think it is) it makes no sense to move him into a position of failure.

Plus, as a Gooner, I can assure you dynamic young left wingers can command a pretty penny (*cough cough* Gabriel Martinelli *cough cough*).

They're not getting $20 million for an ineffective striker. So, if it's a question of asset value (and to be honest, I don't think it is) it makes no sense to move him into a position of failure.

Plus, as a Gooner, I can assure you dynamic young left wingers can command a pretty penny (*cough cough* Gabriel Martinelli *cough cough*).

the only negative talles has is he doesn't have a lot of pace. all the top european wingers have a lot of pace. he's got the dribbling skills for sure but his pace is lacking and that is holding him back a bit. but something he can improve a bit.

but i agree. they will get more money with a highly productive, MLS best XI winger than an average striker.. if that.

the only negative talles has is he doesn't have a lot of pace. all the top european wingers have a lot of pace. he's got the dribbling skills for sure but his pace is lacking and that is holding him back a bit. but something he can improve a bit.

but i agree. they will get more money with a highly productive, MLS best XI winger than an average striker.. if that.
His ball skills and relative lack of pace are what led to the striker experiment to begin with, I think. He profiles as a guy who could maybe work his way through traffic and put a shot on frame. But it's just not his bag, man. When we go forward his instincts are always to go wide.

Anyway, maybe he could get a little faster. But he's never going to be fast enough to get to the level of Martinelli (who was kind of a steal by the way), let alone the really elite guys like Vini Jr. or Neymar. Where that puts the ceiling on his transfer value, I have no idea. I do have trouble seeing him at the €20 million range.

His ball skills and relative lack of pace are what led to the striker experiment to begin with, I think. He profiles as a guy who could maybe work his way through traffic and put a shot on frame. But it's just not his bag, man. When we go forward his instincts are always to go wide.

Anyway, maybe he could get a little faster. But he's never going to be fast enough to get to the level of Martinelli (who was kind of a steal by the way), let alone the really elite guys like Vini Jr. or Neymar. Where that puts the ceiling on his transfer value, I have no idea. I do have trouble seeing him at the €20 million range.
Grealish is the role model IMHO. Not pacy but such a good dribbler and so difficult to dispossess that he creates gravity

Taty was an ineffective Striker until he wasn’t. Then he had an historic 18 month stretch and was sold for $15 million.

What’s that?

I’m being told he wasn’t sold. Sorry. Seems like they gave him away for free, which is a reason we find ourself in this predicament.

Reactions: snugglefarts
Grealish is the role model IMHO. Not pacy but such a good dribbler and so difficult to dispossess that he creates gravity
Good comparison, but Magno also has more of a glide and long stride in line with Pogba. Grealish has great control but also a very low center of gravity with the strength of those running back legs. Like both, Magno is not going to burn you with pace.

Taty was an ineffective Striker until he wasn’t. Then he had an historic 18 month stretch and was sold for $15 million.

What’s that?

I’m being told he wasn’t sold. Sorry. Seems like they gave him away for free, which is a reason we find ourself in this predicament.
Oh, I don't know that we're in a predicament. We have a DP in our pocket and plenty of dry financial powder. If we didn't, maybe then we'd be in a predicament. Right now, we're just looking for the right guy.

As to the $15 million, that was just our ask. The market wasn't there at that level. I think the top offer I saw was a little over half that -- around $8 million. (Taty is currently at about €9.3 million in value; he peaked at €12 million on April 1 of last year.)

And since demand sets the market . . .

Anyway, we're definitely talking apples and oranges when it comes to comparing Taty with Talles Magno. Very different games. Just because we developed one into a striker, it doesn't mean we can develop another into one the same way.

Reactions: Kjbert
Sooo do we get a Santi announcement today?

I would think so. Have to think he arrived yesterday for his physical and to sign the contract. They tend to announce stuff at 11am, so we might be just a few minutes away.

The question is if they announce today whether this is now too fast a turnaround for him to feature tomorrow.

I would think so. Have to think he arrived yesterday for his physical and to sign the contract. They tend to announce stuff at 11am, so we might be just a few minutes away.

The question is if they announce today whether this is now too fast a turnaround for him to feature tomorrow.
I've def seen players feature day after announcement. I don't think we'll see Santi announcement today.

Reactions: JCMore
I've def seen players feature day after announcement. I don't think we'll see Santi announcement today.
In fact, although a little different, this reminds me of the time I showed up for a (NY) Rangers v Oilers game in 1994 with my dad, and the teams traded Doug Weight for Esa Tikkanen a few hours before the game. Because they were playing each other, they just switched teams and both immediately played for their new team against their old one. We were watching the pregame skate and were baffled when we saw them each wearing the other’s uniform, not having heard about the trade.