2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In fact, although a little different, this reminds me of the time I showed up for a (NY) Rangers v Oilers game in 1994 with my dad, and the teams traded Doug Weight for Esa Tikkanen a few hours before the game. Because they were playing each other, they just switched teams and both immediately played for their new team against their old one. We were watching the pregame skate and were baffled when we saw them each wearing the other’s uniform, not having heard about the trade.
There are numerous instance in baseball where players were traded in the middle of a 3 or 4 game series against each other and played on both sides. In 1922 the Cubs and Cardinals did it in between games of a doubleheader. In 2004 the Red Sox and Twins were involved in a 4 team trade while the Twins and Sox were in the middle of a series. Doug Mientkiewicz packed his gear and walked over from the Twins locker room to the Red Sox locker room. When he got there he saw Nomar Garciaparra packing his gear (Nomar was heading to the Cubs) and thought, "Dammit, I was looking forward to playing with him."

Oh, I don't know that we're in a predicament. We have a DP in our pocket and plenty of dry financial powder. If we didn't, maybe then we'd be in a predicament. Right now, we're just looking for the right guy.

As to the $15 million, that was just our ask. The market wasn't there at that level. I think the top offer I saw was a little over half that -- around $8 million. (Taty is currently at about €9.3 million in value; he peaked at €12 million on April 1 of last year.)

And since demand sets the market . . .

Anyway, we're definitely talking apples and oranges when it comes to comparing Taty with Talles Magno. Very different games. Just because we developed one into a striker, it doesn't mean we can develop another into one the same way.
We also didn't "give Taty away for free". We loaned him and will either sell him or get him back in the summer.

Basically, the Club took an educated gamble that it was worth waiting a year to try and maximize his sales value. We will see if it works out. Signs point to "no", but we aren't yet at the end.

And I reiterate that selling or waiting has nothing to do with what's happening in this transfer window. We are already sitting on plenty of dry powder, so whether we have an extra $750K $1.1M in GAM from a sale doesn't affect our options.

Last edited:
So Our DP's are Santi, Talles, and Martins. can we still technically get a U22 DP player? Or was that just Gabi Pereira ? I forgot what the right term was.

Reactions: Kjbert
So Our DP's are Santi, Talles, and Martins. can we still technically get a U22 DP player? Or was that just Gabi Pereira ? I forgot what the right term was.
Everyone can get 1 U-22 player. Teams that have fewer than 3 Senior DPs can have 3 U-22 Players. Both Talles Magno and Santi are Young DPs, so NYCFC qualifies.

Pereira and Andrade are U-22s. Ilenic would qualify, but it's not clear whether he is one as well. It would depend upon his transfer fee because the big advantage for a U-22 designation is that the transfer fee doesn't count when calculating the salary cap.

Last edited:
We are a good striker away from being MLS Cup contenders. This team is ready to go to war right now. Great stuff.

Santi was 6th in MLS in assists last season, with 13. At age 22. No reason he can't be a 15-20 assist player for us. Absolutely worth a DP spot.

We are a good striker away from being MLS Cup contenders. This team is ready to go to war right now. Great stuff.

Santi was 6th in MLS in assists last season, with 13. At age 22. No reason he can't be a 15-20 assist player for us. Absolutely worth a DP spot.

still need a left footed CB and a solid, first choice RB to be a true contender. ledezma would also be a necessary depth piece

still need a left footed CB and a solid, first choice RB to be a true contender. ledezma would also be a necessary depth piece
I think we have our RBs.

Agree totally on a left-footed CB.

We need a striker - if not to start, then at least as a backup to play when TM is hurt or we are chasing a goal.

We need a backup to Santi - maybe that's Pellegrino. Maybe it's Ledezma. But, it's got to be somebody.

I think we have our RBs.

We need a striker - if not to start, then at least as a backup to play when TM is hurt or we are chasing a goal.

We need a backup to Santi - maybe that's Pellegrino. Maybe it's Ledezma. But, it's got to be somebody.

our right backs are an unproven kid and gray, who gives has a good attacking game once in a blue moon?

i think we need another starter quality RB with experience. i.e., a cufre level signing for the right side.

Reactions: Kjbert
I’m guessing Ilinic is a U22.

We must be sitting on a TAM player money. The money doesn’t add up otherwise.

Don’t hate Santi as a DP. But more and more I hate Martins as a DP. Where are the goals coming from?

Reactions: SThorp
I think we have our RBs.

I think Pellegrini is indeed going to back up Santi, even though he's not a true 10. But there's a workaround now with Sands back should Santi go down or need a rest.

We're in good shape almost everywhere else. It would be nice to have a left-footed center back, but fortunately the ones we have now all have two feet so it's more of a luxury thing. Ledezma would be a nice pickup if he's healthy and it doesn't ding the budget. Most of the lingering second backup questions probably have their answer at the Deuce (when you're reaching for your second backup by definition you're already in an emergency LOL).

So, we're back to the striker issue. That's the last really essential piece. I'd give a pepperoni pizza to know who's on our target list.