2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Seems like a net positive to me - good players are willing to play for us because they know we will take care of them and have multiple avenues for getting them abroad.

This isn’t unique to our club. Sell these guys. All I ask.

Reactions: adam
if reports are true, we should be getting some money from Taty.
Apparently, the current striker at BHA is a major headache. A real attitude problem. Which means if they're going after Taty (who they rate, especially De Zerbi -- he really wants our guy) they're likely serious about locking him in. We could be in for a haul.

Reactions: Kjbert
Or

“Dear NYCFC Fan,

Thank you for being a fan. This winter, you may have noticed most of our top players left the club. We thought it was important to lay out our strategy and in what direction we are moving.

Youth is important to our mission. Players that have left are aging out yada yada and our scouting network is looking to build on prior successes. We have a DP spot, lots of AM, a U22 spot and so on. Yada yada.

Best,

David Lee”

Prior folks did this
I now finally understand what you want and can't imagine why you want it.

"Dear Fan,
Here is some corporate speak offering no insight beyond what you already know."

I think if he did that he'd be skewered by someone(s) on here for not saying anything of substance.

That also goes for the complaints about specific player moves. I know in some ways that's the point of the forums, to nitpick shit to death. What else are we going to do with our time? But it also feels like the worst of micro-management. You've got a worker producing great results year in and year out and you're complaining that a technique here or there not just could be better, but is absolute shit. I give the guy producing great results more credit.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
The vast majority of teams in other American sports always shy away from "rebuilding year" comments, even when it is blatantly obvious what they are doing.
It demoralizes the players, who are publicly undersold by the team management, and discourages the fan base even more.

Last edited:

"Dear Fan,

I think if he did that he'd be skewered by someone(s) on here for not saying anything of substance.

That also goes for the complaints about specific player moves. I know in some ways that's the point of the forums, to nitpick shit to death. What else are we going to do with our time? But it also feels like the worst of micro-management. You've got a worker producing great results year in and year out and you're complaining that a technique here or there not just could be better, but is absolute shit. I give the guy producing great results more credit.
That being said, sometimes when there's not much but you still want to perfect something, so there's always something to comment on and try to improve. That show I see myself in any hobby, so why shouldn't we hold them to the same standards?

Reactions: Kjbert
I've lost count of how many times I've logged onto Twitter hoping to see one of those foreign reports where a journalist butchers our name in a report that reads something like: "the young striker couldn't find hole in first team, expected to sign contract with NYFC in the MLS."

I understand the lack of signings thus far. But to not even have a nugget of information coming from anywhere is concerning.

if reports are true, we should be getting some money from Taty.

And that’s great. Didn’t help us last season but so be it. But if he goes now, can we spend the money? More likely, any money we recoup will be spent on the summer.

And if he goes for less than the demanded $18 million from last year, it’s a failure for the 2022 season.

Reactions: Gene

"Dear Fan,

Not all corporate speak. This feels like Lampard bullshit all over again

I've lost count of how many times I've logged onto Twitter hoping to see one of those foreign reports where a journalist butchers our name in a report that reads something like: "the young striker couldn't find hole in first team, expected to sign contract with NYFC in the MLS."

I understand the lack of signings thus far. But to not even have a nugget of information coming from anywhere is concerning.

Our first game is in 35 days. Realistically, we should expect that any new signing needs 3 weeks to acclimate. We have 4 weeks before we panic. But I would like to see stability.

Reactions: Gene
I wish we would get a decision about Sean, he’s been pretty quiet since the Raptors game
I'm also wondering if the club is waiting on other moves until it knows whether it's paying SJ + Barrazza + the third, or Barrazza and 2 relative nobodies. You would think they could figure some moves out regardless, and yet...

Perhaps the club should have sold them last summer when we were near the top of the East fighting for playoff position and a trophy match on the way
I think they point is they should have sold them last winter/summer and *replaced* them with the long-term pieces. They had a one-year plan and then let everyone walk, and are now looking for replacements with fewer resources like the GAM they could have gotten.

I think they point is they should have sold them last winter/summer and *replaced* them with the long-term pieces. They had a one-year plan and then let everyone walk, and are now looking for replacements with fewer resources like the GAM they could have gotten.
... Yeah sure, let's sell them right after winning MLS Cup. Seriously?

The guys we’ve moved abroad didn’t start here.

Haak was the first U12 kid. I think he has a good future, but man is it bad behind him right now.
Benalcazar, Owusu, McFarlane, Carrizo?

I feel like there’s talent coming up. There’s probably kids at 11-14 right now that will shock us when they are 14-18.

Perhaps the club should have sold them last summer when we were near the top of the East fighting for playoff position and a trophy match on the way

You mean like when we loaned our best player out in July?

GTFOH.