2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

I think the FO is building to be playoff competitive this year and next and seriously challenge for hardware in 3-6 years.
This strikes me as being about right, although I think the timeline is more like playoffs this year, then challenge for hardware for 3-6 years. I have little doubt the FO would love for us to go into our new stadium with at least one more MLS Cup under our belt, and ready and able to defend if we're holding it in 2027.

I think we're building to challenge for tournament titles, too. If it goes according to plan (always a big "if"), Nick should be able to rotate more without dropping off too much. If at all.

Reactions: JCMore
If you are referring to me, my complaint is about the rumors that we were going to drop $8M on an 18 year old with a handful of starts in the Serbian Superliga. That is the definition of unproven and given that he would be a DP that is a terrible signing that would 100% be more for CFG than us.

In case there was confusion in my post I think a 24-year-old from the Bundesliga is a great signing. I don't even have much of an objection to Ojeda either as he comes from racing and he at least has experience on a top team in one of the best leagues in SA. In a vacuum Ojeda is a great signing as well. My only issue is that the roster already has several young prospects so I'd rather see them balance things out with a few more proven veterans.

I'm sure CFG's scouting department is better than most teams in the world but scouting young players is an inexact science and they will never all work out. Leveraging so many of our roster spots on young guys puts us at risk for a lot of boom or bust scenarios. Personally, I'd rather see them hedge a bit with a few veterans just to provide some stability.
Wasn't meant to be about you

Reactions: gbservis
I am irrevocably scarred by Conte's dour and ultimately disastrous tenure at Spurs and do NOT want to see a back 3/5 system.

Sounds like Agustin Ojeda is all-but done. Reports that he's traveling to the US in the coming days to finish the transfer.

I wonder how we're going to fit these guys into the roster rules.

Our U-22 players right now are Bakrar and Julian Fernandez. Room for one more.

Our DPs are Martins, Santi, and Talles. If we don't sell Talles this window, are we buying Thiago down and making one of these kids DPs? Will Jovelic not have to be a DP/U22 because of the way CFG is acquiring him?

I think it may be possible to buy down both Talles and Thiago, but I don't know for sure.

Of course, it is also possible that some of our targets are duplicates, so if we hit on Ojeda, then we might not take someone else.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
I think it may be possible to buy down both Talles and Thiago, but I don't know for sure.

Of course, it is also possible that some of our targets are duplicates, so if we hit on Ojeda, then we might not take someone else.

Considering Ojeda is a winger and the other guy is a striker, I feel like it's probably not an either-or scenario. Sounds like Lee and CFG saw our scoring troubles last year and are trying to ensure that won't happen again in 2024.

24 years old with a considerable number of appearances in the Bundesliga is awesome. Fantastic signing. Interestingly, the end of the NYCFC.com article lists his position as "midfielder" I assume that's just a typo as all other sources say that Wolf is a forward.
Why is it fantastic? Hasn’t exactly been tearing it up anywhere has he? If dude only scored twice for Swansea in 19 games I’m going to have low expectations of doing much different here unless there were extenuating circumstances.

Reactions: Gene
Why is it fantastic? Hasn’t exactly been tearing it up anywhere has he? If dude only scored twice for Swansea in 19 games I’m going to have low expectations of doing much different here unless there were extenuating circumstances.

I'll bite on this one:

We just acquired a 24 year-old player on a free transfer that has been playing and training at a higher level than our club for 8+ seasons. He's essentially replacing a player (Pellegrini) who provided very little to the team on a fairly expensive contract. This player was making Champions League appearances at 20 before an injury derailed his career. Recent injuries have not been kind to him, but we have an experienced professional, in a position of need, who has a fairly high ceiling if he ever gets back to 100%. It also looks like Magno could be gone and the LW could be handed over to a teenager, if that teen is not yet ready to contribute, this seems like the prototypical player you'd have on an MLS roster to fill the gap until he is.

And again, free transfer. As long as we aren't paying Pellegrini $$$, this should work out pretty well for us. Low risk, high reward type of move.

For the MLS this is a good signing. 24 years old with the talent to have gotten a look in one of the top leagues in the world. The MLS has a history of talented players who weren't quite good enough for one of the top leagues doing very well in the MLS. If he was 24 years old and scored 20 goals last season he's not coming to the MLS. In the context of the types of players available to us, I think this is a great signing.

Reactions: dark knight
For the MLS this is a good signing. 24 years old with the talent to have gotten a look in one of the top leagues in the world. The MLS has a history of talented players who weren't quite good enough for one of the top leagues doing very well in the MLS. If he was 24 years old and scored 20 goals last season he's not coming to the MLS. In the context of the types of players available to us, I think this is a great signing.
This cuts both ways, I guess: on the one hand he was recently a highly rated prospect at solid midtable or better clubs such as RB Leipzig and Gladbach, OTOH it is a free transfer, so either his on-field production or his injury history discouraged both Gladbach from retaining him and lesser Bundesliga clubs or other European clubs from getting him. It is a rehabilitation project to a certain extent, but not a bad idea.

Reactions: dark knight
This cuts both ways, I guess: on the one hand he was recently a highly rated prospect at solid midtable or better clubs such as RB Leipzig and Gladbach, OTOH it is a free transfer, so either his on-field production or his injury history discouraged both Gladbach from retaining him and lesser Bundesliga clubs or other European clubs from getting him. It is a rehabilitation project to a certain extent, but not a bad idea.
It strikes me as low-risk with high upside. If he regains his form, he could be a great asset. If not, we aren't out anything but salary.

I still wonder whether he's being considered for a left wingback position.

It strikes me as low-risk with high upside. If he regains his form, he could be a great asset. If not, we aren't out anything but salary.

I agree. I think "not a bad idea" was to timid on my part. It is definitely a good idea, especially because we're not losing a DP spot or anything else of great value to make the bet. We have been spending a few million each on Fernandez, Santi, Talles, etc. who are all too young not to be unproven too.

Reactions: Gotham Gator

And if he does regain his form, we'll sell him back to Europe for a good fee. Considering we've also brought another player on at that position and already have a DP there, this is a great move for the Club. Reminds me of the Alex Ring signing, though Ring was never as valuable a player as Wolf used to be.

And I noticed Maximo Carrizo isn't tagged for the Deuce. Talk about going young.

I wouldn't read into that. All the homegrown players are listed in that way; Carrizo is officially an NYCFC player, he signed a homegrown contract with the first team. All the guys with first-team contracts are listed without a tag.

I wouldn't read into that. All the homegrown players are listed in that way; Carrizo is officially an NYCFC player, he signed a homegrown contract with the first team. All the guys with first-team contracts are listed without a tag.
I figured it was something like that. Just cracking a little joke. Although to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see him tripping the light fantastic on the Citi Field pitch a few times.

Reactions: Schwallacus