2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

I really like what we're doing this offseason. Pretty much focusing completely on the attack. I know some of these guys are very young and perhaps unproven, but I trust the CFG scouting network -- they don't have a lot of failures. Wolf is exciting, despite his injury history, especially at his age. I would imagine he's a player that will be motivated to play well and move back to Europe.

If we get Ojeda, Mijatovic, and Vela across the finish line, that has a lot of potential to return our offense back to where it was before last year.

How many players do you think we are signing with 4 year contracts with the "You'll be here when we debut the historic beautiful new stadium" pitch?

Party Cartoon GIF by Lindsey Lea

Kansas City Chiefs Dance GIF

Do Want I Need It GIF

Tex Avery Wolf GIF

Reactions: gbservis and JCMore

Full credit to mgarbowski mgarbowski but it will be disappointing if the supporters miss the layup of using Hungry Like the Wolf like the Spurs supporters did with Zombie for Son. The chorus screams supporters chant.

Reactions: mgarbowski

24 years old with a considerable number of appearances in the Bundesliga is awesome. Fantastic signing. Interestingly, the end of the NYCFC.com article lists his position as "midfielder" I assume that's just a typo as all other sources say that Wolf is a forward.

Reactions: ZYanksRule and JayH
But I was told CFG doesn't spend money for NYCFC ... How am I supposed to feel about all these signings? What's the new complaint going to be now that this one is being trashed?

Reactions: Marito
24 years old with a considerable number of appearances in the Bundesliga is awesome. Fantastic signing. Interestingly, the end of the NYCFC.com article lists his position as "midfielder" I assume that's just a typo as all other sources say that Wolf is a forward.
I saw some speculation that we might be looking at him to play wingback. He is a left-footed player who was a winger most of his time. Could slot in for Cufre if he's willing to switch.

Reactions: gbservis and JayH
But I was told CFG doesn't spend money for NYCFC ... How am I supposed to feel about all these signings? What's the new complaint going to be now that this one is being trashed?
People are already complaining the south americans are unproven developmental signings that will only benefit CFG. The haters will be just fine. 😂

I saw some speculation that we might be looking at him to play wingback. He is a left-footed player who was a winger most of his time. Could slot in for Cufre if he's willing to switch.

That's really interesting. If we do that I wonder if we would play a 5 back with both Wolf and Illenic pressing forward or does Gray play on the right mostly staying back to form a back 3 when Wolf goes forward? I'm pretty sure we have seen both of those formations at times under Cushing. We had a decent amount of success towards the end of 2022 in a back 5 if I'm remembering correctly.

Curious to note there isn’t a Dude Wipes logo on his sleeve

• Wow
Reactions: LionNYC
People are already complaining the south americans are unproven developmental signings that will only benefit CFG. The haters will be just fine. 😂

If you are referring to me, my complaint is about the rumors that we were going to drop $8M on an 18 year old with a handful of starts in the Serbian Superliga. That is the definition of unproven and given that he would be a DP that is a terrible signing that would 100% be more for CFG than us.

In case there was confusion in my post I think a 24-year-old from the Bundesliga is a great signing. I don't even have much of an objection to Ojeda either as he comes from racing and he at least has experience on a top team in one of the best leagues in SA. In a vacuum Ojeda is a great signing as well. My only issue is that the roster already has several young prospects so I'd rather see them balance things out with a few more proven veterans.

I'm sure CFG's scouting department is better than most teams in the world but scouting young players is an inexact science and they will never all work out. Leveraging so many of our roster spots on young guys puts us at risk for a lot of boom or bust scenarios. Personally, I'd rather see them hedge a bit with a few veterans just to provide some stability.

Reactions: Gene
If you are referring to me, my complaint is about the rumors that we were going to drop $8M on an 18 year old with a handful of starts in the Serbian Superliga. That is the definition of unproven and given that he would be a DP that is a terrible signing that would 100% be more for CFG than us.

In case there was confusion in my post I think a 24-year-old from the Bundesliga is a great signing. I don't even have much of an objection to Ojeda either as he comes from racing and he at least has experience on a top team in one of the best leagues in SA. In a vacuum Ojeda is a great signing as well. My only issue is that the roster already has several young prospects so I'd rather see them balance things out with a few more proven veterans.

I'm sure CFG's scouting department is better than most teams in the world but scouting young players is an inexact science and they will never all work out. Leveraging so many of our roster spots on young guys puts us at risk for a lot of boom or bust scenarios. Personally, I'd rather see them hedge a bit with a few veterans just to provide some stability.

The roster already has a lot of veterans.

Maxi, Martins, Risa, Parks, Sands, Perea are all likely starters (Maxi when he returns), and can easily be qualified as veterans at this point of their careers. Wolf, at 24 and with his Bundesliga experience, I would also qualify him as a veteran.

Our problem last year wasn't leadership, it was talent in the attack. I'll take a 20-year-old who's still improving over a 31 year old on the tail end of their careers.

The roster already has a lot of veterans.

Maxi, Martins, Risa, Parks, Sands, Perea are all likely starters (Maxi when he returns), and can easily be qualified as veterans at this point of their careers. Wolf, at 24 and with his Bundesliga experience, I would also qualify him as a veteran.

Our problem last year wasn't leadership, it was talent in the attack. I'll take a 20-year-old who's still improving over a 31 year old on the tail end of their careers.

Has there been an update on Maxi? I ask because people keep posting like he. can be counted in the plans this year. Given the severity of his injury it's going to take a lot for him to get back and get fit in time to make any significant impact this season but maybe I missed something. If you leave out Maxi all of the other players you listed do not play in the attack.

Improving 20-year-olds are exciting but very few of them have the presence to lead, most start slow and need time to adjust, some stall out and stop improving, and some that do pan out leave well before they can make an impact like Gabby. I am 100% in favor of having a few players on the roster like that but I really think we need some stability at the front. Maxi immediately made a noticeable impact in the few games he played after his return last season. I just think a player who is good enough to start in our attack with presence and experience similar to Maxi would go a long way in stabilizing our attack and helping get the most out of the very talented young players we already have on the roster.

Reactions: Marito
Has there been an update on Maxi? I ask because people keep posting like he. can be counted in the plans this year. Given the severity of his injury it's going to take a lot for him to get back and get fit in time to make any significant impact this season but maybe I missed something. If you leave out Maxi all of the other players you listed do not play in the attack.

Improving 20-year-olds are exciting but very few of them have the presence to lead, most start slow and need time to adjust, some stall out and stop improving, and some that do pan out leave well before they can make an impact like Gabby. I am 100% in favor of having a few players on the roster like that but I really think we need some stability at the front. Maxi immediately made a noticeable impact in the few games he played after his return last season. I just think a player who is good enough to start in our attack with presence and experience similar to Maxi would go a long way in stabilizing our attack and helping get the most out of the very talented young players we already have on the roster.

I think late-summer is the estimate on Maxi's return. July-September. So yeah, he's likely to miss most of the season. They need Santi to make big progress at the 10 this year.

Reactions: Revfugee

At the NYCFC City Hall last month, they said that he was working very hard and they are optimistic he will be back at some point.

Reactions: gbservis
That's really interesting. If we do that I wonder if we would play a 5 back with both Wolf and Illenic pressing forward or does Gray play on the right mostly staying back to form a back 3 when Wolf goes forward? I'm pretty sure we have seen both of those formations at times under Cushing. We had a decent amount of success towards the end of 2022 in a back 5 if I'm remembering correctly.
I agree, but the team also desperately need CB depth.
I am all in favor of 3-in-the-back, but you need more than 2 centerbacks to run it properly.

Reactions: gbservis