2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

McFarlane is a LB so I assume it would be a start in place of O'toole. Looked like OT left with a head injury, do we know if he's out of the Miami game, or are people just speculating?

oh right. for some reason i was imagining ilenic on the left....

but yes, seems like a possibility we see mcfarlane. but if he's got a contract in the works, that might kill those chances right off the bat. and instead, we'll see some interesting adjustments.

Reactions: gbservis
oh right. for some reason i was imagining ilenic on the left....

but yes, seems like a possibility we see mcfarlane. but if he's got a contract in the works, that might kill those chances right off the bat. and instead, we'll see some interesting adjustments.

Yeah, it could get very interesting especially if Risa is out as well. I assume if Risa can't go we will get CB Sands and a Parks/Perea midfield but who knows?

Reactions: moogoo
I know, streakiness and randomness etc. etc. but I simply believe Bakrar can't finish.

LAFC signed kai kamara and they are rumored to sign giroud. we have bakrar who can't hit a side of a barn. i wouldn't have minded signing kamara as a late game super sub. especially if he was cheap.

The David Lee $1M and over attacking player transfer tracker at the end of game 6:
View attachment 13250

$15M on Ojeda and Mijatovic and they have played a total of 77min through game 6.
Last year the angel twins (Pereira and Segal) combined for 8 goals and 3 assists in 1,957 minutes (0.51/90). Their six replacements: Bakrar, Fernandez, Marrtinez, Mijatovic, Ojeda and Wolf have played 2,406 minutes in 2023+2024 and scored a combined 6 goals and 1 assist (0.26/90).
The very sad 2024 G+A/90 rate is 0.14.

Reactions: LionNYC and JayH
MLS transfer window closes on April 23 given our terrible start do we make any moves to try to right to ship? We are out of roster spots and likey spent the vast majority of our TAM and GAM on Mr. "Visa Issues" and looks right at home on NYCFC II Ojeda but maybe we could do something?

MLS transfer window closes on April 23 given our terrible start do we make any moves to try to right to ship? We are out of roster spots and likey spent the vast majority of our TAM and GAM on Mr. "Visa Issues" and looks right at home on NYCFC II Ojeda but maybe we could do something?
Unfortunately I don’t think that action based upon need is a priority for this club at this point.

From: Vancouver's biggest obstacle, Seattle surge back to life & more from Matchday 8 | MLSSoccer.com

Really interesting observation there from Calen Carr on Bakrar and Santi. Not sure how we fix something like this ...

I've been saying the exact same things for weeks. He's clearly been reading my posts 🤣

It can be fixed. They just need to understand each other and play to each other's strengths. Mostly Santi needs to realize bakrar likes to run. Let him. play the short games with wolf and the other winger whoever that is.

Not finding a striker who can play with their back to goal is a failure of the front office though. From the limited minutes.. doesn't look like Jovan is that guy either

Last edited:
From: Vancouver's biggest obstacle, Seattle surge back to life & more from Matchday 8 | MLSSoccer.com

Really interesting observation there from Calen Carr on Bakrar and Santi. Not sure how we fix something like this ...

It's an interesting observation but I'm not sure what to think about it. I don't disagree that Santi wants to play to feet while Bakrar wants to get in behind. My issue is that they gave Santi half a season with a play-to-the-feet partner in Mango and it went horribly.

Bakrar's finishing has been abysmal but at least his relentless running makes some space for plays to occasionally develop. The results were bad either way but I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to having a striker drop towards Santi and the two of them trying to force the ball into the box from the top of the 18 with little flick passes that seem to always get intercepted.

From the article on the Outfield a few weeks ago it sounds like Jovan doesn't really get in behind and brings another style to the table so I guess whenever his "visa issues" get sorted we can see how that works. If Jovan and Bakrar play completely different styles it will be interesting to see how the team manages having to shift styles depending on who is playing that night.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
It can be fixed. They just need to understand each other and play to each other's strengths.
Yes, and it's one of the green shoots sticking up from the frozen wasteland. But I must be honest: I'm not convinced it will get where it needs to be without Hannes Wolf in the midfield on the other side and Keaton to serve as the central connection.

That's just armchair generalship, of course. I'm 150 miles or so away from the training pitch, and our gaffer forgets more soccer while he's drinking his morning coffee than I know. There are a couple very sharp and experienced assistants on the bench, too.

As far as Jovan is concerned, he makes me think of a guy we have on VfB, Deniz Undav. Same kind of build, anyway. Deniz is very strong in the box, very hard to move around. Fingers crossed on that one.

Last edited:
Oh geez, you're going to make me say it again, aren't you.

I think I'm OK with my 3 periods of negativity in 10 seasons. I was even Mr. Brightside defending Ronny against those calling for his head in 2021 during the 7 points in 10 games slump.
I entered this season optimistic, and told myself the lackluster preseason games were meaningless preseason games. I presumed the players for whom we spent $20 million would contribute instead of playing a combined 94 minutes through 7 games. It's one thing to miss on a player who isn't as good as you thought he was. Not getting players who could conceivably contribute right away was a choice. A depressing choice given what happened last year.
MLS does not require slow year to year rebuilds. Eleven teams missed the playoffs last year. Seven are above the playoff line right now. We're not. It doesn't have to be this way. Hell, if we just earned points at the rate we did after the break last year we'd have roughly twice as many points.
And not scoring takes a toll. A loss or draw is worth 0 or 1 point regardless, but consistently scoring 0 or 1 goals makes for very boring soccer. We're on 13 shutouts against just 9 multi-goal games over 2 seasons. I wasn't joking when I said I was hoping for either team to score in the final 10 minutes Saturday night. All these 1-1 and 0-1 games wear you down.

Last edited:
I think I'm OK with my 3 periods of negativity in 10 seasons. I was even Mr. Brightside defending Ronny against those calling for his head in 2021 during the 7 points in 10 games slump.
I entered this season optimistic, and told myself the lackluster preseason games were meaningless preseason games. I presumed the players for whom we spent $20 million would contribute instead of playing a combined 94 minutes through 7 games. It's one thing to miss on a player who isn't as good as you thought he was. Not getting players who could conceivably contribute right away was a choice. A depressing choice given what happened last year.
MLS does not require slow year to year rebuilds. Eleven teams missed the playoffs last year. Seven are above the playoff line right now. We're not. It doesn't have to be this way. Hell, if we just earned points at the rate we did after the break last year we'd have roughly twice as many points.
And not scoring takes a toll. A loss or draw is worth 0 or 1 point regardless, but consistently scoring 0 or 1 goals makes for very boring soccer. We're on 13 shutouts against just 9 multi-goal games over 2 seasons. I wasn't joking when I said I was hoping for either team to score in the final 10 minutes Saturday night. All these 1-1 and 0-1 games wear you down.

This team, even with the new guys barely playing, should still be much better than they are. We are getting results far under our capabilities. I continue to believe Cushing doesn't survive this homestand. At this point, I think the roster is good enough to be much better than this.

Reactions: Schwallacus