2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Is that Lee or Cushing?

Perhaps it is early and players stlll need time to adjust, but there appears to be a disconnect between players acquired (no one can claim this team has not spent) and players playing.

I'll consider any argument, and I suspect there is enough blame to share, but one of Lee and Cushing was here for a championship so I know which way I lean.

Wolf, Risa, and Bakrar all joined the starting lineup almost immediately upon joining NYCFC, Cushing has shown that he is more than willing to integrate players into the starting lineup that are ready to contribute. Given our need for offense, I find it hard to believe Jasson is starting if Ojeda, Mijatovic or Fernandez are showing in practice that they are ready.

We threw away the first half of the season last year by not signing a striker to replace Taty. We've thrown away 3 games of this season so far because Lee spent the majority of the transfer budget on 18 year olds who are not ready to contribute.

Look at how Portland used their U-22 slot. They signed 21-year-old Antony. He already had 3 seasons and 66 appearances in Portugal’s’ top-tier league Liga Portugal when he arrived in the MLS. He's started every game this season and already has 3 goals. There are plenty of options for the U-22 slot with far more experience and a much higher chance of being ready to go than the 3 18-year-old development projects Lee signed.

Edit: also to be fair Cushing was an assistant coach on the championship team and Lee had been sporting director all of a year and we won the championship with a roster mostly built by Reyna. Not sure either of them really deserves more credit than the other for the championship if that's what we are going on.

Last edited:
Wolf, Risa, and Bakrar all joined the starting lineup almost immediately upon joining NYCFC, Cushing has shown that he is more than willing to integrate players into the starting lineup that are ready to contribute. Given our need for offense, I find it hard to believe Jasson is starting if Ojeda, Mijatovic or Fernandez are showing in practice that they are ready.

We threw away the first half of the season last year by not signing a striker to replace Taty. We've thrown away 3 games of this season so far because Lee spent the majority of the transfer budget on 18 year olds who are not ready to contribute.

Look at how Portland used their U-22 slot. They signed 21-year-old Antony. He already had 3 seasons and 66 appearances in Portugal’s’ top-tier league Liga Portugal when he arrived in the MLS. He's started every game this season and already has 3 goals. There are plenty of options for the U-22 slot with far more experience and a much higher chance of being ready to go than the 3 18-year-old development projects Lee signed.

Edit: also to be fair Cushing was an assistant coach on the championship team and Lee had been sporting director all of a year and we won the championship with a roster mostly built by Reyna. Not sure either of them really deserves more credit than the other for the championship if that's what we are going on.

which begs the question - WHERE IS MARTINEZ?

does he suck so bad that he doesn't even make it off the bench when we needed some veteran calmness?

which begs the question - WHERE IS MARTINEZ?

does he suck so bad that he doesn't even make it off the bench when we needed some veteran calmness?
It's a good question, Martinez came from another CFG club where he made over 30 appearances so his abilities should have been very well known. Things like that plus the signing of the young guys make me wonder if layers of decision makers above us within CFG consistently underestimate the quality of MLS and send us players on the assumption that any talented player can just step in to the league and succeed.

Cushing is rightfully taking a lot of heat right now but I think Lee is just as much if not more to blame for our current struggles as Cushing. Lee took over for the 20/21 season. Since his promotion to sporting director, this is the list of players we have paid transfer fees for and what we paid according to transfermarket:

2020/21
Talles Magno - $7.5M
Thiago Andrade - $1.60M
Malte Amundsen - $1.4M (transferred out for $400K GAM)
Alfredo Morales - $100K
Acevado - $2.3M

2021/22
Pereira - $5M (sold for $10M)
Thiago Martins - $3.8M

2022/23
Illenic - $1M
Freese - $400K
Fernandez - $5M
Bakrar - $2M
Risa - $1M
Santi- ?

2023/24
Mijatovic - $8.7M
Ojeda - $7M
Perea - $600K
Tanasijevic - $400K

Looking at where they all are now and accounting for incoming fees paid and outgoing fees received it breaks down as follows:

Departures (+$100K):
-$1M Malte Amundsen
-$2.3M Acevdo
-$1.6M Andrade
+$5M Pereira

Started Game 3 ($8.8M)
$3.8M Martins
$1M Illenic
$400K Freese
$2M Bakrar
$1M Risa
$600K Perea
? Santi

Not Starting Game 3 ($28.6M)
$7.5M Magno
$5M Fernandez
$7M Ojeda
$8.7M Mijatovic
$.4M Tanasijevic
I would agree, if in fact Ojeda and Mijatovic were brought on as prospects for the future and not players expected to have immediate impact, then he spend the bulk of the investments for the next season and not now which is what we need. I mean even these young talents need a seasoned player to guide them and our team is missing that. We needed someone right now not in year or two. He should have brought in a veteran in his prime + these guys.

This just again points to Lee/ management building a farm team and not a championship. His model is grow players as investments and not make money by winning games.

Reactions: gbservis
I would agree, if in fact Ojeda and Mijatovic were brought on as prospects for the future and not players expected to have immediate impact, then he spend the bulk of the investments for the next season and not now which is what we need. I mean even these young talents need a seasoned player to guide them and our team is missing that. We needed someone right now not in year or two. He should have brought in a veteran in his prime + these guys.

This just again points to Lee/ management building a farm team and not a championship. His model is grow players as investments and not make money by winning games.

8mil on a player that is for the future? yeah sure maybe in other leagues. but in MLS that's like spending 80mil on a player in europe. Pretty certain if they're spending 8mil on a player it's bc they think it'll be an immediate impact.

8mil on a player that is for the future? yeah sure maybe in other leagues. but in MLS that's like spending 80mil on a player in europe. Pretty certain if they're spending 8mil on a player it's bc they think it'll be an immediate impact.

The younger the player and the less experience they have the more you are paying for future potential as opposed to immediate impact. Jovan is 18 years old with 39 total appearances in the Serbian SuperLiga. He's never even played for a team outside his home country. 18 year olds that are ready to make an immediate impact, are extreme outliers that are signed by big European clubs for over $30M not $8M.

These 18-year-old guys are expensive because the project to be very good in a few years not because they are right now.

• Sad
Reactions: JCMore
Also, we got Jovan to sit behind Bakrar but then they both go for international duty at the same. Well balanced roster construction. How about, instead of strikers who don't score in MLS and play for their national team we get someone like Taty or Heber who do score for us and do not play for their national teams.

Survey of MLS executives about many issues and questions. We did not have a single player, coach or executive (nor the team where applicable) get 1 vote in any of the following categories:

Win MLS Cup
Win Shield
Best player move of offseason
Best team overall offseason
Most talented player x- Messi
Best keeper
Best defender
Best midfielder
Best attacker x-Messi
Most underrated player
Next MLS player big move abroad
Best value contract
Best head coach
Most underrated coach
Best offseason coaching hire
Best CSO
Next FO assistant to get a top job

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Scally went for $2M + extras + sell on fee.

I’m hoping we get at least like $5M. But given it’s an CFG transfer, who knows. Jack Harrison went for $6M.

i still don't understand why he gets no looks over otoole... i think i'd prefer an actual left back.

i know they are putting him as that now, but wasnt he a CB in NYCFC II and academy?

i know they are putting him as that now, but wasnt he a CB in NYCFC II and academy?

according to his signing interview, lee said he's versatile and can play different positions but since he's left footed, they see him as a left back. not sure where he has actually played a lot of time at for the II and academy though.

shouldn't ilenic be back?

McFarlane is a LB so I assume it would be a start in place of O'toole. Looked like OT left with a head injury, do we know if he's out of the Miami game, or are people just speculating?