2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Magno's a sneaky good defender when he wants to be. There have been a few plays where he lost the ball on offense, got mad about it, turned into prime Alexander Ring and just completely bodied a guy to win the ball back. To the point where I've thought to myself with his size, ball-shielding ability, and the defensive skills he occasionally flashes Magno could a nasty box-to-box CM if he wanted to be.

I don't know what happened to Magno last year, did he just lose all confidence when he wasn't scoring goals? Does he need a Maxi on the pitch to help direct him? It's hard to say but there is loads of talent there, I hope he turns it around this season.

i think last year was magno being frustrated and unsure of what he's doing. he was played out of position and unable to grow into it and perform. then he was basically benched. as a young, promising player who has generally been successful in his career, that can take a toll psychologically. we could see that when he finally scored and the emotions came rushing to the front.

if he's motivated this year, played in his best position (left wing), i think he will perform. if there was truly european interest, then it's all the more reason for him to be motivated. not to mention, he's got his whole career ahead of himself and no professional athlete wants to perform poorly. i think it will take a few games under his belt with solid 80+ minutes each and we'll see the magno we have all been waiting for.

David Lee with a good explanation (finally) of what happened last season:

“I think one of the big challenges of MLS is if you sign the wrong player or the right player but at the wrong value, it's hard to unwind some of those decisions. And so the work that we had was significant.”

I read that as saying we were just being deliberate and trying to get things right. The club obviously was intent on transitioning to a youth-oriented model, but the risks are obvious, and they didn't want to blow it.

The whole piece is really good: New York City make "huge potential" signings: Mijatović, Ojeda & Wolf | MLSSoccer.com

Reactions: Kjbert
David Lee with a good explanation (finally) of what happened last season:

“I think one of the big challenges of MLS is if you sign the wrong player or the right player but at the wrong value, it's hard to unwind some of those decisions. And so the work that we had was significant.”

I read that as saying we were just being deliberate and trying to get things right. The club obviously was intent on transitioning to a youth-oriented model, but the risks are obvious, and they didn't want to blow it.

The whole piece is really good: New York City make "huge potential" signings: Mijatović, Ojeda & Wolf | MLSSoccer.com

What's interesting about our player development model is that the vast majority of the super-young players are in the attack. Sands, Parks, Risa, Martins, and Freese are all veterans. Our fullbacks and our forwards are all young. But the defense and midfield is pretty veteran-laden.

And yes, I include Sands in the veteran-laden column. He's young, but he's starting his 7th MLS season (not including 2022).

Even Santi Rodriguez and Talles Magno, for their youth, are starting their 4th seasons with us. Yes we have youth, but we also have a lot of experienced players.

What's interesting about our player development model is that the vast majority of the super-young players are in the attack. Sands, Parks, Risa, Martins, and Freese are all veterans. Our fullbacks and our forwards are all young. But the defense and midfield is pretty veteran-laden.

And yes, I include Sands in the veteran-laden column. He's young, but he's starting his 7th MLS season (not including 2022).

Even Santi Rodriguez and Talles Magno, for their youth, are starting their 4th seasons with us. Yes we have youth, but we also have a lot of experienced players.
Right. That's the model: experienced defenders and midfielders, especially in the middle of the pitch. Young, fast forwards in the attack.

In a way, we've flipped the script. And I like it. I'd much rather catch young guns on their way up than overpay for names on their way down. You're way more likely to find awesome bargains that way, and if you're stout defensively you're always going to be competitive.

A good analogy are rock bands. Lead guitarists get the most attention, but since it's a glamor position there's no end to the supply. Just think of the millions of kids sitting on their beds just noodling away, hoping someday they're the ones in the spotlight. They're the musical equivalent of strikers.

But what really makes a band stand out is the rhythm section. You need a great one to be a great band.

Our backline and midfield are the drums and bass. The forwards are the guitarists. The strikers are the lead guitarists; the wingers are the rhythm guitarists, an extension of the rhythm section.

We have veterans to keep the beat and provide the structure, and young guys to improv and rip and fly and do that voodoo they do so well.

I'm excited. Let's rock'n'roll.

Rock And Roll Cartoon GIF

Last edited:
Reactions: FootyLovin

The defender joins the first team after having played for MLS NEXT Pro affiliate, New York City FC II last season. The Brooklyn native played in 24 matches, notching one assist during the 2023 campaign. Hope-Gund becomes the 88th player from MLS NEXT Pro to sign a first team contract.
“We are delighted to have signed Rio to a first team contract,” Sporting Director David Lee said. “We’ve been impressed with Rio’s development since he joined the second team last season. He’s consistently worked hard and demonstrated his professionalism since joining the club, and is deserving of this opportunity. Rio offers depth and quality at the center back position, as we aim to challenge in all competitions this season.”

Not complaining as we can use some depth on D but I thought we didn't have any roster spots left. Does this mean someone is getting dropped?

Not complaining as we can use some depth on D but I thought we didn't have any roster spots left. Does this mean someone is getting dropped?

Yeah I dunno -- I count 31 players on the roster via NYCFC's website. Pretty sure the limit is 30. Probably they've made a paperwork move and officially loaned one of the young guys to NYCFC II.

Yeah I dunno -- I count 31 players on the roster via NYCFC's website. Pretty sure the limit is 30. Probably they've made a paperwork move and officially loaned one of the young guys to NYCFC II.
That sounds about right. The site lists Drew Baiera as Defender-NYCFC II, while Carrizo and McFarlane are Defender-New York City FC. That tells me Baiera is likely headed for the Deuce.

Reactions: ZYanksRule
Last edited:
I've always thought they never got enough credit for their song Tanasijević.
I’ll never forget the girls in the front row singing along with Simon at the top of their lungs:

Tanasijević is a lonely child, who's waiting by the park

Tanasijević is a door to finding treasure in the dark

And watching over lucky clover, isn't that bizarre?

Every little thing Tanasijević does leaves you answered with a question mark

I’ll never forget the girls in the front row singing along with Simon at the top of their lungs:

Tanasijević is a lonely child, who's waiting by the park

Tanasijević is a door to finding treasure in the dark

And watching over lucky clover, isn't that bizarre?

Every little thing Tanasijević does leaves you answered with a question mark
Wifey is a big DD fan and laughed to the point of tears as I read this to her.

Cushing is rightfully taking a lot of heat right now but I think Lee is just as much if not more to blame for our current struggles as Cushing. Lee took over for the 20/21 season. Since his promotion to sporting director, this is the list of players we have paid transfer fees for and what we paid according to transfermarket:

2020/21
Talles Magno - $7.5M
Thiago Andrade - $1.60M
Malte Amundsen - $1.4M (transferred out for $400K GAM)
Alfredo Morales - $100K
Acevado - $2.3M

2021/22
Pereira - $5M (sold for $10M)
Thiago Martins - $3.8M

2022/23
Illenic - $1M
Freese - $400K
Fernandez - $5M
Bakrar - $2M
Risa - $1M
Santi- ?

2023/24
Mijatovic - $8.7M
Ojeda - $7M
Perea - $600K
Tanasijevic - $400K

Looking at where they all are now and accounting for incoming fees paid and outgoing fees received it breaks down as follows:

Departures (+$100K):
-$1M Malte Amundsen
-$2.3M Acevdo
-$1.6M Andrade
+$5M Pereira

Started Game 3 ($8.8M)
$3.8M Martins
$1M Illenic
$400K Freese
$2M Bakrar
$1M Risa
$600K Perea
? Santi

Not Starting Game 3 ($28.6M)
$7.5M Magno
$5M Fernandez
$7M Ojeda
$8.7M Mijatovic
$.4M Tanasijevic

Not Starting Game 3 ($28.6M)
$7.5M Magno
$5M Fernandez
$7M Ojeda
$8.7M Mijatovic
$.4M Tanasijevic
Is that Lee or Cushing?

Perhaps it is early and players stlll need time to adjust, but there appears to be a disconnect between players acquired (no one can claim this team has not spent) and players playing.

I'll consider any argument, and I suspect there is enough blame to share, but one of Lee and Cushing was here for a championship so I know which way I lean.