2024 Schedule Thread

This would do a severe number to attendance in the northern half of MLS cities.

Too many people don't want to go to games in November, December, May, and April. It's just too cold, rainy, and miserable.

From a purely competitive point of view? Sure; it would work. But this league still makes a lot of its money from gate receipts, and those would take a major hit by not playing in June and July. Come to think of it, when are you doing playoffs in this format? May? So now half the league doesn't get any home gates at all from May-July. It's just a bad idea from a ticketing perspective.
I’d rather go to a chilly game in March than a sweaty, sweltering game in July. Maybe t that’s just me.

More generally, I think you could figure it out. More home games for southern and western teams in colder months, and vice versa. More (midweek) games in mild months. Etc.

We put a man on the moon, we can figure this out. The benefits of aligning (more or less) with the rest of the world outweigh the downsides, IMO.

I’d rather go to a chilly game in March than a sweaty, sweltering game in July. Maybe t that’s just me.

More generally, I think you could figure it out. More home games for southern and western teams in colder months, and vice versa. More (midweek) games in mild months. Etc.

We put a man on the moon, we can figure this out. The benefits of aligning (more or less) with the rest of the world outweigh the downsides, IMO.

I think the majority of people would rather go to warm-weather games. Our attendance tends to bare that out; we have our worst-attended games in March and April.

I am a firm, firm believer that moving to a winter sport would do major damage to attendance for all the northern teams. They'd have to rebuild their stadiums to have domes. Minnesota, Chicago, New York, New England, Philly, DC, Toronto, Columbus, Cincy, Seattle, Portland, Colorado, Salt Lake, St. Louis, Sporting KC are all teams where the weather is just going to be too cold and miserable for too long. That's not counting Vancouver and Montreal who play in domes. It's half the league.

If it's a playoff game or a big game, obviously people will go. But a regular-season game against Vancouver in March would not do well. And at least until we get our new stadium, we can't bulk up our schedule in the warmer months due to the baseball schedule, unless you want more games at Red Bull Arena.

Lots of leagues around the world play the calendar year schedule we do. It works better for this country. We're never going to be the Premier League. Embracing this league as a developmental league gives you the freedom to do more things like the unnatural schedule.

Fully agree with that last point -- the league needs to severely increase the salary cap so teams can add depth. I would also say that the 30 contracts rule, of which probably only 24 are legit, playable players, needs to be increased. I think if you increased the salary cap and gave teams 40 players on their rosters instead of 30, you'd have enough depth to get through all the games we have to play.
I agree on 40 being about right as long as they significantly increase the number of international spots as well.

I think the majority of people would rather go to warm-weather games. Our attendance tends to bare that out; we have our worst-attended games in March and April.

I am a firm, firm believer that moving to a winter sport would do major damage to attendance for all the northern teams. They'd have to rebuild their stadiums to have domes. Minnesota, Chicago, New York, New England, Philly, DC, Toronto, Columbus, Cincy, Seattle, Portland, Colorado, Salt Lake, St. Louis, Sporting KC are all teams where the weather is just going to be too cold and miserable for too long. That's not counting Vancouver and Montreal who play in domes. It's half the league.

If it's a playoff game or a big game, obviously people will go. But a regular-season game against Vancouver in March would not do well. And at least until we get our new stadium, we can't bulk up our schedule in the warmer months due to the baseball schedule, unless you want more games at Red Bull Arena.

Lots of leagues around the world play the calendar year schedule we do. It works better for this country. We're never going to be the Premier League. Embracing this league as a developmental league gives you the freedom to do more things like the unnatural schedule.
MLS regular season 2023 started February 25 and ended October 21; playoffs ran through November until the final today, December 9, which was played outside in Columbus Ohio. No games mid to late December, January, most of February. What I'm suggesting is barely any different-- add the rest of December to the schedule and remove June and July, when World Cup/Euros/Copa America/etc are happening anyway. The main change is flipping the start and end of the season-- start in early August and have the championship right around Memorial Day.

Chiming in - some of below underscoring things that have been said.
  • The MLS calendar is not just about weather; the league benefits from a much less crowded domestic sports landscape - NHL and NBA winding up, no NFL, no college sports.
  • There are ways to deal with the weather issue: more games in south, move games indoors where possible. Also, modern stadium designs should allow for some degree of climate control in the stands for winter games.
  • MLS is not unique with this calendar, but it has costs. Those costs are becoming clearer as the league grows. It will be much more difficult to become a top global league without making the change, so I suspect we will do that at some point.

Reactions: Kenny
MLS is not unique with this calendar, but it has costs. Those costs are becoming clearer as the league grows. It will be much more difficult to become a top global league without making the change, so I suspect we will do that at some point.
This is what made me predict the switch, not soon but eventually. I've always pushed back against people who said MLS should switch. There are so many reasons to keep the current calendar and so many obstacles to playing in North American winter, plus the sports congestion issues you note.
But as MLS gets more involved in international transfers at higher levels, and has more players on various national teams, the benefits of conforming increase. But there's gonna be compromises no matter what.

Last edited:
In the wise words of Jami Tartt, “I’m doing it right, and you’re all doing it wrong.” All the other leagues should change to the MLS schedule. It feels wrong to play soccer/football in the winter. The world should change to our schedule.
Now who’s with me?!

In the wise words of Jami Tartt, “I’m doing it right, and you’re all doing it wrong.” All the other leagues should change to the MLS schedule. It feels wrong to play soccer/football in the winter. The world should change to our schedule.
Now who’s with me?!

Just Do It Yes GIF by Rocky

• Haha
Reactions: JCMore and Shwafta
Now who’s with me?!
But then we'd be denied of these types of moments!

I remember basically everyone absolutely slaughtered USSF for hosting that winter qualifier at Allianz last year.

Yet somehow it's completely different for MLS to move about a quarter of the season to winter?

Ussfe did that when they had many other choices and against a squad they didn't need to play those kind of games with. Otherwise it's just be Minnesota and during that month maybe they only have one game or none. And are away from mid Jan to mid feb

I'm guessing that our 2024 season opening match will be at Austin. Just a guess.

[As] MLS gets more involved in international transfers at higher levels, and has more players on various national teams, the benefits of conforming increase.
This, to me, is the best single argument for making the change.

But I have to be honest: I like our counter-scheduling, and for a lot of reasons, some of which others have already pointed out. I think MLS should stick with it for as long as it's sustainable.

(Now, if we're going to conform anywhere, I vote we get the damn table right. )

Gotta loft that ball, man. Gotta loft that one.
These are the types of situations.... I know by the law this can't be given as a goal.... but come on, it's a goal. I know it's not. But it is. Everyone knows it is. And I know the arguemnt is gonna be "but in other conditions it also wouldn't be a goal - like if it was windy or big puddle of rain" - and to that i say, why is soccer one of the only sports that is played in non-perfect conditions? Most other big sports rain out if the conditions aren't ideal.

Also, the liverpool beach ball goal shouldn't have counted either, imo.