Akira Fitzgerald Signed

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
Our third GK is on board.
10805582_380869792086483_7541723998672552991_n.jpg

New York City FC are pleased to announce the signing of goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald, who was acquired out of contract.

Akira comes to New York City after four years with the Carolina RailHawks of the NASL. Prior to his time in Carolina, Akira played his collegiate soccer at Wake Forest in the ACC. He is now the third stopper on the New York City FC roster, joining Josh Saunders and Ryan Meara.

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/12/11/new-york-city-fc-sign-akira-fitzgerald

That's probably the case and I guess the question is now who will be first choice between Saunders/Meara. Its been a bit unclear about the former since the beginning mainly due to age. Nobody had really been talking about a third goalkeeper (and there was no way there wouldn't be 3) might have expected someone a bit younger but anyhow its not a major position. Unless of course something happens to the first 2...

Reactions: Kjbert
That's probably the case and I guess the question is now who will be first choice between Saunders/Meara. Its been a bit unclear about the former since the beginning mainly due to age. Nobody had really been talking about a third goalkeeper (and there was no way there wouldn't be 3) might have expected someone a bit younger but anyhow its not a major position. Unless of course something happens to the first 2...
Since we were apparently willing to offer 300k in allocation money for Meara, I would assume they value him as the current starter.

He's on the roster but he will be loaned back to Carolina for the season. Just adding depth and trying to develop him.

Reactions: Kjbert
We probably want him to be playing football, but have the option to recall him if we have some goalkeeping injuries.

Reactions: Kjbert and whill4
That's bizarre how much more development does a 27 year old need?

He's a keeper. Goalkeepers have longer life-expectancy (career-wise) than outfield players and their development is slower. While an outfield player probably reaches their peak at around age 29-30 and is considered to be in decline by 32-33, a goalkeeper doesn't really hit his maximum until 32-34, and can keep playing at the top level for a few years after that. A 27-year old keeper is only about as developed as a 24-year old in another position.

Depends on the time zone I heard. If you're on Greenwich Mean Time I believe you can reach your forum poster peak as early as a toddler. :p