American Dps For Nycfc

Pretty sure as a new team we sit at the top of that, well, us and Orlando. Coin flip I think?

He'll probably be a DP...
The thing is do the club think he's worth DP money? He may not be skill wise but he is a USMNT player, that'll help from an image standpoint. They don't have to use all their DP slots on "star" players.

Here's a collection of recent hints.

"We are using our global scouting network to find people that play the way we want to play. We plan on using all 3 DP slots."

https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/462026219786338304

"Right now we are focused on GK, 2 CBs, and a CM. Then we move ahead and plug players in all the way up to the FWDs."

https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/462030073869381632

Q: "Will there be a US DP?
A: "If the opportunity exists for a US born DP we will explore it... We honestly just don't know."

https://soundcloud.com/einwindir/qa/s-SNiL4

Q: "When can we expect the first player signing? ..."
A: "...scouting players around the world...", "...we are looking at one player right now..."

https://soundcloud.com/einwindir/qa/s-SNiL4

Working backwards up the hints, it looks like we have the first DP signing in the crosshairs, but it doesn't appear to be a US-born player. It also appears that it may be a defensive player rather than a forward or attacking midfielder, which would be surprising.

How would you feel if our big name summer signing is a center back? It would be awesome to have a stud center of the defense, but I'm hoping the highest profile signing is the CM.

Have any CB names been thrown around as possible big name DPs?

Does anyone think Jozy Altidore is a possibility ? Not specifically as first signing but as possible DP? I know he has ties to RedBull but few MLS stars that have went abroad and come back have returned to their first team and I'd imagine his value has gone down after a poor season in the Prem but would also imagine he could still do the business over here.

I think Jozy would beat up on a lot of MLS backlines but we'd have to find him the right midfielders to service him.

Does anyone think Jozy Altidore is a possibility ? Not specifically as first signing but as possible DP? I know he has ties to RedBull but few MLS stars that have went abroad and come back have returned to their first team and I'd imagine his value has gone down after a poor season in the Prem but would also imagine he could still do the business over here.

Not sure Sunderland would be ready to give up on a 13 mil investment already unless we pay a decent amount for the transfer.

Also interested to see how fringe players on EPL sides (Man City) would be up for loan since we have opposite schedules from Europe

I think Sunderland would sell him on as he was brought in under DiCanio and he's long gone now. Jozy got so little playing time with the new manager that I think they'd be happy to get some return on their investment.

I think Sunderland would sell him on as he was brought in under DiCanio and he's long gone now. Jozy got so little playing time with the new manager that I think they'd be happy to get some return on their investment.
He actually got a lot of playing time. The fact that he had 31 appearances, despite his poor scoring record this season, speaks to his quality as a footballer. He was in there killing off games at crunch time, when many thought he was done for good. I think Poyet likes him and would like to hang on to him as one the pieces they use in reshaping the squad as they shift the drunks.

They may sell him tomorrow, but I just don't think it will happen given that they will need him even if they hang on to Wickham and buying high and selling low isn't a viable option for a club like SAFC. I think Jozy might actually want to stay there as well (good for him, I guess).

Sunderland is also hemorrhaging money and players right now. Might need to dump Jozy for whatever they can get.

Imagine Mix or Beckerman getting him the ball in MLS?

I wonder how much, in a very bigger picture, Klinsmann plays into American DPs moving forward? He wants his guys playing abroad. He took 5 Germans into camp. They are all going to Brazil. Parkhurt, Donovan, Goodson, Evans - all left home.

Shea and Aguadelo were laying it on pretty heavily to the women in their box

I would take both

I think Villa is an amazing pick up (if its true). If we get Mix, would he be a DP? or could we get him under the cap?
Rumor is Mix would be the back up plan to Xavi.

It must be kind of frustrating signing players right now because in a couple months the salary cap rules will definitely be different with the new CBA coming.

I really believe Mix is the kind of guy who has enough Madison Avenue appeal to be NYCFC's Jeter.

If he puts in a goal or two this summer or even a handful of key passes, that would be a great launching pad for announcing him while he's at the forefront of our consciousness.

His visibility and interaction with fans on social media is such an asset for building a brand. I really hope we can get him on board in a cap friendly way. I'd be over the moon.

Yes, I have unrequited feelings of bromance about him. No, I'm not ashamed.

I really believe Mix is the kind of guy who has enough Madison Avenue appeal to be NYCFC's Jeter.

If he puts in a goal or two this summer or even a handful of key passes, that would be a great launching pad for announcing him while he's at the forefront of our consciousness.

His visibility and interaction with fans on social media is such an asset for building a brand. I really hope we can get him on board in a cap friendly way. I'd be over the moon.

I agree. Have him appear on a couple morning shows and all the girls will love him and will be NYCFC/Mix fans. That will only work in our favor as far as promotion.

That's a damn good point!

Who's this Mix guy? Is it Mikkel Diskerud (23 year old new to the US team?). I thought the idea of the DP was to get a seasoned international - not a "rookie".

Who's this Mix guy? Is it Mikkel Diskerud (23 year old new to the US team?). I thought the idea of the DP was to get a seasoned international - not a "rookie".

Seems like we already got two of those.. Mix is a very promising player currently playing for Rosenborg in Norway.

I'd have they thought that there was better "proven" talent in one if the top European or South American leagues to be found. If this lad was that good wouldn't you want him to prove it in one of those leagues first? When you only have 3 DP slots I'd go with more solid bets. That's not to say that all the players have to be past it. You might find a very decent player in South America who would see NYCFC as a stepping stone to Europe (rather than going to Portugal, Ukraine or Russia).

That said I've never seen him play - maybe he's sensational. :)

I'd have they thought that there was better "proven" talent in one if the top European or South American leagues to be found. If this lad was that good wouldn't you want him to prove it in one of those leagues first? When you only have 3 DP slots I'd go with more solid bets. That's not to say that all the players have to be past it. You might find a very decent player in South America who would see NYCFC as a stepping stone to Europe (rather than going to Portugal, Ukraine or Russia).

That said I've never seen him play - maybe he's sensational. :)

This is America and it's New York City. Need to sign a big American. He's on the cusp. Did you see the reaction he got yesterday at RBA? I think he had as many people propose marriage to him as he did people cheering for him.

He and Julian Green got the loudest cheers when they came on as subs. I think Americans are really starting to love him and his style of play and I could see him being a perfect fit here in NYC