EPL 2022-2023

Everton get the new manager bounce and beat the league leaders possibly opening a door for Citeh.

Liverpool continue to suck but probably the only "Big " club that won't fire their manager during a season like this.
Everton had trap game written all over it. We never do well there to begin with, but I saw some training video in the lead up to the match and Dyche had really lit a fire under their asses.

Good response from Arteta, though. He knows his side knows they let themselves get pushed around. He didn't lose his cool and rub it in.

and just like that United Leeds of America is down one American.

Marsch is sacked.

a strange decision considering they just signed mckennie, which I assume was because Marsch wanted him.

and just like that United Leeds of America is down one American.

Marsch is sacked.

a strange decision considering they just signed mckennie, which I assume was because Marsch wanted him.
It's not strange at all. He's gotten absolutely nothing out of the players and hasn't shown the ability to adapt his plan to different teams. They're one spot from relegation, and realistically they could and should be higher up the table.

The American thing might be more of the 49ers connection than anything else.

It's not strange at all. He's gotten absolutely nothing out of the players and hasn't shown the ability to adapt his plan to different teams. They're one spot from relegation, and realistically they could and should be higher up the table.

The American thing might be more of the 49ers connection than anything else.

given their place in the table, yea. it's not surprising. but why sign players the coach wants if you're gonna sack him a day after? i would give him at least 2-3 games. but i guess they are antsy since they've been in freefall.

but now they have to find someone to come in and play a more practical style to get some results. tall order for anybody, especially a temp manager.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
given their place in the table, yea. it's not surprising. but why sign players the coach wants if you're gonna sack him a day after? i would give him at least 2-3 games. but i guess they are antsy since they've been in freefall.

but now they have to find someone to come in and play a more practical style to get some results. tall order for anybody, especially a temp manager.
Tyler Adams came from Leipzig
McKennie comes from Juventus

You're talking about players that lots of teams in the PL would want to sign, so I can understand maybe an argument of "well, they might have been Marsch signings, but they're just as much Leeds signings" - maybe Leeds used "hey we have an american manager! come americans!" and then once they got all their signings they let him go? ;) *takes tinfoil hat off*

Too bad Leeds waited this long for the sack, they could have gotten Dyche... that's out the window now too.

Tyler Adams came from Leipzig
McKennie comes from Juventus

You're talking about players that lots of teams in the PL would want to sign, so I can understand maybe an argument of "well, they might have been Marsch signings, but they're just as much Leeds signings" - maybe Leeds used "hey we have an american manager! come americans!" and then once they got all their signings they let him go? ;) *takes tinfoil hat off*

Too bad Leeds waited this long for the sack, they could have gotten Dyche... that's out the window now too.

dysche would have been good for them. practical manager. but we'll see if he can really turn everton around.

It wasn't just McKennie. They brought in a nice handful of players in the winter window. It's odd that they would fire the coach so soon after he had input into bringing those guys in, but it's hard to complain given the results. I do think their results have been below their actual performances under Marsch, including yesterday.

It wasn't just McKennie. They brought in a nice handful of players in the winter window. It's odd that they would fire the coach so soon after he had input into bringing those guys in, but it's hard to complain given the results. I do think their results have been below their actual performances under Marsch, including yesterday.
Yeah, I was just giving that as an example - but the players they brought in seem moreso Leeds-wanted "if we sack Marsch we'll still want these players" type of players.

They also committed to a new contract with Harrison instead of selling him.

But this is the norm in leagues with relegation and an obsession with qualifying for play in other leagues. You're not allowed patience. The flipside of no-accountability in the US pro sports model is zero rope elsewhere when results lag. It doesn't even have to involve relegation. Glasgow Rangers fired van Bronckhurst after >60 games and > 2 PPG over 3 years because they fell too far behind their rival less than halfway into the current season.

Maybe they valued Marsch’s eye as a talent evaluator more than a coach. They figured they still needed to improve and the new manager could use those talents they brought in. (Especially if Marsch has any inside info on Weston)

Maybe they valued Marsch’s eye as a talent evaluator more than a coach. They figured they still needed to improve and the new manager could use those talents they brought in. (Especially if Marsch has any inside info on Weston)
Tin foil hat: maybe marsch had little to no say on the roster. Maybe some guy in the office pulling all the roster strings like people from the US and that’s why Jesse was hired in the first place. The FO gave him pieces and he couldn’t put it together so they are getting a different manager.

Tin foil hat: maybe marsch had little to no say on the roster. Maybe some guy in the office pulling all the roster strings like people from the US and that’s why Jesse was hired in the first place. The FO gave him pieces and he couldn’t put it together so they are getting a different manager.

Pretty certain this is the case, as I alluded to above.

The FO gave him pieces and he couldn’t put it together so they are getting a different manager.
This sounds about right. I think Leeds thought they were getting another Bielsa (who they also seemed to fire with impatience) with a little more control, and instead they got a side which ran even more but didn't press anywhere near as well and couldn't seem to attack at all. It just didn't come together.

On the bright side, everyone is in great shape. Dudes can run all day now.

Scary thought is now Marsch is being talked about as USMNT coach. Please God no. Also, if Pep leaves ManCity he could be an option. Please God yes.

Scary thought is now Marsch is being talked about as USMNT coach. Please God no. Also, if Pep leaves ManCity he could be an option. Please God yes.

agree. no marsch for USMNT.

i don't think pep would ever be a national team coach. he needs/wants players to fit his system, not vice versa. and limited time with national team players makes it even harder to implement a system for the players he has. i'd see him going to MLS before being USMNT coach.