EPL 2022-2023

Scary thought is now Marsch is being talked about as USMNT coach. Please God no. Also, if Pep leaves ManCity he could be an option. Please God yes.
...weren't you (and me, admittedly) talking about how you think Marsch would be great on the USMNT?

Reactions: Dnigly13
...weren't you (and me, admittedly) talking about how you think Marsch would be great on the USMNT?
Was I? Were we? I think he’s probably the best American coach on the USMNT radar. But his high press shtick gets tiresome and is the same as GGG. I’m strongly of the opinion the USMNT needs to go with a foreign coach for at least this cycle. Let’s see which Americans are available in 4 years time, as I’m not opposed. But especially after the GGG/Reyna thing, it’s probably best to bring someone in from outside US Soccer.

Was I? Were we? I think he’s probably the best American coach on the USMNT radar. But his high press shtick gets tiresome and is the same as GGG. I’m strongly of the opinion the USMNT needs to go with a foreign coach for at least this cycle. Let’s see which Americans are available in 4 years time, as I’m not opposed. But especially after the GGG/Reyna thing, it’s probably best to bring someone in from outside US Soccer.
whoops, wasn't you! I just searched back in the forum. Sorry!

whoops, wasn't you! I just searched back in the forum. Sorry!
No worries. I don’t hate him as a coach. But for the reasons mentioned don’t want him as USMNT coach. Wish he got to finish out the season at Leeds after his hot start & new signings.

Agreed.

What on Earth makes you think Pep would come to USMNT next?? That’s crazy talk
IDK, if he leaves ManCity, he’s proved all he needs to prove in England, Germany & Spain. Might be a nice challenge for him to take on the youngest national team in the 2022 WC, who made it to 2nd round and is hosting 2026, as well as hosting Copa America 2024. It’s not a bad gig. And would up his marketability/notoriety in the USA by a substantial margin ($$$). It’s not that crazy.

It’s not that crazy.
Meme Reaction GIF

Also-- I agree with you that a foreign manager would be best this cycle but I don't see it happening unfortunately. Hercules Gomez tweeted something recently to that effect. Not sure if he heard something or just his opinion. But you gotta think for better or worse US Soccer wants an American coaching this team in 2026.

The Athletic had an interesting article that went through the Club histories of the best national team coaches. Short story - its exceptionally rare for a good manager in a Top 5 league to take a national team job. I think the only one at the last World Cup was Hansi Flick. Southgate, for example, was promoted from managing England's U-21 side, and prior to that had only managed Middlesborough. Scaloni, who just won the World Cup, hadn't been a top man anywhere before he took over Argentina.

In other words, we need to reset our expectations a bit.

off work and the game was on peacock which I get , enjoyed that one. City were ruthless exploiting every Arsenal mistake. Gunners still have a game in hand but have to imagine city the favorites now .

off work and the game was on peacock which I get , enjoyed that one. City were ruthless exploiting every Arsenal mistake. Gunners still have a game in hand but have to imagine city the favorites now .
A game in hand but another game against City before the season is over. They have the benefit of no CL or FA matches but things are looking pretty dire.

15 matches still to play. A lot can happen.
A lot of my fellow Gooners were doomin' and gloomin' on Big Soccer, but I think there were some good takeaways. We controlled the first half even without Partey; the last couple years we've fallen apart without him. We were often threatening even with an ice-cold Eddie Nketiah at striker. We were good defensively except for the two huge mistakes by Tomi in the first half and Gabriel in the second.

Objectively, you'd have to say Manchester City is the better team overall. But we're not far behind at all. And with the much lighter workload we have an advantage as we get to the latter stages of the campaign. It's going to be close.