EPL 2022-2023

They don't even get the benefit of being there for the funeral spectacle which is late next week. Still, I understand the decision. I used to be completely against canceling sports and performances for stuff like this. My personal instinct runs that way still. I think the NFL was right to play games right after JFK was killed, and wrong to postpone games after 9/11. But that's not how most people are wired.
That American soccer fan is screwed, but if the games went on millions of people would call the PL heartless and cruel. Canceling is easy by comparison.
Several years ago (and when I was much younger and had more energy), I traveled to Thailand to see the sites there but also for the night life. After I booked that trip, their king died and they had a month long period of mourning which restricted tourist access to many of the things I wanted to see and also had a curfew on bars at midnight. Definitely impacted my trip and the plans I had, but I still had a great time and it kind of made some of the other experiences I had there a bit more unique.

it was solely EPL's decision to postpone. was it the best decision? that's debatable. given the schedule congestion already, probably not. security situation next weekend for the funeral will be much worse so it'll likely be 2 weeks of games postponed unless they can somehow squeeze in this weekend's games into the middle of next week on short notice.

Govt didn't tell them to postpone. Royal family didn't request it. There is no set tradition that they needed to postpone. The whole decision seems rather strange to me. but it is what it is. guess everyone in the UK and around the world can focus more on MLS :)

Reactions: mgarbowski
Spurs beating Leicester 6-2 late. Son who's been having a poor season 13 minute hat trick. Leicester bottom of the table, no wins, terrible goal difference. From Champions to relegation in 6 years? Or can they turn it around ?

Barring injury Haaland is going to smash EPL records both for this singular season and all time . Putting Someone that overall physically gifted and clinical with city’s elite passers of the ball is almost unfair .

Barring injury Haaland is going to smash EPL records both for this singular season and all time . Putting Someone that overall physically gifted and clinical with city’s elite passers of the ball is almost unfair .
They said on the broadcast that both he and Foden are only 22. By doing some complex calculations with the help of some statistical analysis by mgarbowski mgarbowski I'm pretty sure that combo could score close to a billion goals for City over the next decade.

Sometimes records just happen like that. Like the time Lewandowski scored 5 goals in 9 minutes and I don't think we're ever going to see something like that again.

Will Haaland score 3 more hattricks? Maybe... hopefully not....

With the players surrounding him I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

Reactions: JCMore
Wasn't sure to post this here or in the streaming thread.
Smithsonian channel will be airing a docuseries about the emergence of the Premier League as the commercial soccer juggernaut of the world.
Looks interesting, set my DVR. Whether I get around to watching it will probably depend on what people here say about it.

Edit: just googled it. Apparently it aired on BBC last year. So it must be the us debut.

pep agreed to a 1 year extension at man city. not long enough to see him transitioning to NYC at stadium opening time.

I wake up this morning, and what do you know... there is a Man City vs. Liverpool game at 3pm. Who knew???

It's Carabao Cup*, and according to Gotham, Jr., Man City only had 11 senior players in training on Tuesday, so this one should be interesting.

---
* - Technically, I guess this shouldn't be in this EPL thread, but we don't have a Carabao Cup thread, and I don't believe anybody wants one.