General MLS Discussion

1719186998245.png

I think this is the wrong call. The attention of the country will be heavily on soccer at that time. The best bet for MLS is to play games, but time them so that they don't conflict with any World Cup matches. Let people enjoy the international games and then stick around to watch MLS later that night - or something along those lines.

Reactions: Vallos
This should be interesting... Break for world cup but still have leagues cup?

I hope the Leagues Cup eventually turns into being scheduled the way the FA Cup is scheduled. One week a month is Leagues Cup, then you play the rest of your schedule around it. I really hate an entire month of summer is taken by this so that we have 6 home games in March and April, and only one league home game in July and August.

I think this is the wrong call. The attention of the country will be heavily on soccer at that time. The best bet for MLS is to play games, but time them so that they don't conflict with any World Cup matches. Let people enjoy the international games and then stick around to watch MLS later that night - or something along those lines.

really depends. I think the hope is that MLS will have more players at the world cup, which means we have high quality players in the league. If that is the case, the quality of play will suffer w/o those players around and that isn't a good advertisement for the league. best to take a break. but to continue with leagues cup somehow...? that's just confirms how much of a money grab that is since they're willing to adjust the entire league schedule to accommodate for it.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I hope the Leagues Cup eventually turns into being scheduled the way the FA Cup is scheduled. One week a month is Leagues Cup, then you play the rest of your schedule around it. I really hate an entire month of summer is taken by this so that we have 6 home games in March and April, and only one league home game in July and August.

that will never happen because of the travel required for mexican teams. that's an even greater disadvantage if they have to travel for all the group games and then all the elimination rounds. the idea is good.. but there's no nice way to fit it into the schedule w/o pissing someone off.

The World Cup is scheduled for June 11-July 19, 2026. That's 6 weeks. Leagues Cup is 5 weeks, though the articles says they might modify it in 2026. With some overlap it's a 10-week hole as is. The 2024 MLS season runs 34 weeks from Feb 24 to October 19. There are 3 additional FIFA windows in 2026 during the MLS season and playoffs. So 10+3 = 13, leaving potentially as little as 21 weeks to play 34 MLS season games. Cut 2 weeks off Leagues Cup and you have maybe 23 weeks to play 34 games. Either extend the season start or end or play in FIFA windows to add more options.

No matter what it's a lot of double game weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: moogoo