General MLS Discussion

Let's play MLS alphabetization.
View attachment 13433
The drop down list starts off in reverse alphabetical order, but chaos quickly arrives with Kansas City between Toronto and Seattle. I was ready to write it off as typical "because MLS," until I realized that it makes sense if you assume the word "Sporting," which is still typical "because MLS" but at lest has some logic to it.
Keep going. San Jose above/after St. Louis works if you spell out "Saint." Salt Lake nicely fits in the same place whether you assume the "Real" or not.
But then you get Orlando between Portland and Philadelphia. Each team name has words after the city name and nothing before, so that's not the answer. Mistake? Even someone who cannot remember the order of letters (or who gets confused by reverse order) should know not to split two items that start with the same letter. Am I missing something?
New York is above New York City and LA is above LAFC, and both are wrong by the reverse order rule. But maybe once again you use the SKC rule and assume the "Red Bull" which alphabetizes after "City." Similarly for Los Angeles "Galaxy" and Los Angeles "FC." So we clearly have a hard, fast rule. Whew.
Fuck, Miami should be between DC and Houston if you assume "Inter." FC Dallas also would squeeze in there as well, and CF Montreal would go between Charlotte and Austin.

Look. I just want to look up stats. On a drop down list that includes only city names the order should be based on city names. As presented (looking at you St. Louis). Honestly I hate when they order by Inter not Miami, and FC not Dallas, but then they do that Sporting KC thing and this list is a pain in the butt. And go home, Orlando, you're drunk.
Only thing I can do is add confusion. The Galaxy are not "Los Angeles" but are officially "LA Galaxy"

Reactions: mgarbowski
A very me problem. Since the game starts at 8:30 NYC time that means we will be a little more than half way through when RSL kicks off. So I have to pick one to watch. My normal watch our game till finish and start the RSL game won’t work this time. :(
In the wise words of my favorite forum lawyer, “times zones suck.”

Last edited:
A very me problem. Since the game starts at 8:30 NYC time that means we will be a little more than half way through when RSL kicks off. So I have to pick one to watch. My normal watch our game till finish and start the RSL game won’t work this time. :(

The last time the Friday night game wasn't on very late due to being played in the Pacific or Mountain Time zones was July 8 in Orlando. The next one is not until September 9 in Kansas City, Western Conference but Central Time Zone. I really don't see why you would schedule the Friday night games that way to cut off East Coast viewers for 2 whole months.

CFG runs a worldwide soccer empire but is flustered by time zones.

MLS can revive it and avoid most of these issues, but the start time issue remains in a country with 4 time zones.

Canada has 0 10pm Eastern games. Mexica has 1, and they don’t even have an eastern time zone.

Also time zones suck. Everyone should just be on my time.

Time zones are why people want to believe in a flat earth. Because if the earth were flat we wouldn't need them.

On the other hand, time zones kept me from watching that snoozer last night, so I guess they're not all bad.

I paid no attention to the posted game time, forgot about time zones, and the need to start after or close to sunset due to heat, and just assumed the game was starting about an hour from now. Just finally noticed 9 pm. Damn.

The only thing I hate more than Leagues Cup is the existence of time zones.

Nations League.
Time Zones.
Tom Bogert.

This is at least my 10th forum post bitching about time zones.

I don't even know why Bogert caught my strays, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Shwafta and CCMore
And then there's Brazil v Uruguay at 9 pm

Ten of the twelve teams playing today are West conference. Has anyone else noticed that when there are games on back to back days it’s usually West-heavy on day 2? I can’t think why that would be. It doesn’t bother me. In fact I mostly like getting East results on the first day. But it’s weird.

Ten of the twelve teams playing today are West conference. Has anyone else noticed that when there are games on back to back days it’s usually West-heavy on day 2? I can’t think why that would be. It doesn’t bother me. In fact I mostly like getting East results on the first day. But it’s weird.

Timezones amirite? 😏

The FC Dallas player got a yellow. The SKC player got a red.

i think if you're a dumbass jumping and dancing around in front of a player trying to throw the ball in, you can't complain about getting the ball thrown at you. i don't think it should have been a yellow on arriola. definitely a red for the retaliation though. if i were the ref, i wouldn't have given the yellow. it's no different than standing in front of a free kick to try to stop the quick restart and a player kicks it as hard as they can into you. are you gonna retaliate because you chose to stand there? while I can understand and appreciate the ref giving the yellow to deter more players from doing the same in the future, i think it should be more of a lesson that you shouldn't just stand and dance in front of a throw-in. but i guess that's me. hah

i think if you're a dumbass jumping and dancing around in front of a player trying to throw the ball in, you can't complain about getting the ball thrown at you. i don't think it should have been a yellow on arriola. definitely a red for the retaliation though. if i were the ref, i wouldn't have given the yellow. it's no different than standing in front of a free kick to try to stop the quick restart and a player kicks it as hard as they can into you. are you gonna retaliate because you chose to stand there? while I can understand and appreciate the ref giving the yellow to deter more players from doing the same in the future, i think it should be more of a lesson that you shouldn't just stand and dance in front of a throw-in. but i guess that's me. hah
The Laws state that a player in Arriola's situation can throw the ball at the impeding player "but not in a careless or a reckless manner or using excessive force.." I doubt Arriola could have thrown it any harder, lol, so I think it was excessive and a yellow was fair.

Absent the body slam, I think Bassong still deserves a yellow for interference, and as he was already on a yellow, he still gets ejected.

Reactions: CCMore
The Laws state that a player in Arriola's situation can throw the ball at the impeding player "but not in a careless or a reckless manner or using excessive force.." I doubt Arriola could have thrown it any harder, lol, so I think it was excessive and a yellow was fair.

Absent the body slam, I think Bassong still deserves a yellow for interference, and as he was already on a yellow, he still gets ejected.
This raises an interesting question then. If Bassong gets a yellow for interfering before he body slams the player, should he then be receiving 2 yellows and 2 reds in one game? Can a player receive two reds in a game?

Doesn’t seem likely, but as a player who receives a red I have now received the highest level of punishment I can receive from a game (baring after match review) so what’s to stop me from continuing to lash out and delay? Thankfully that’s not something that happens in the modern game, but it seems like there is a potential vacuum of power based on lack of in the moment discipline.

This raises an interesting question then. If Bassong gets a yellow for interfering before he body slams the player, should he then be receiving 2 yellows and 2 reds in one game? Can a player receive two reds in a game?

Doesn’t seem likely, but as a player who receives a red I have now received the highest level of punishment I can receive from a game (baring after match review) so what’s to stop me from continuing to lash out and delay? Thankfully that’s not something that happens in the modern game, but it seems like there is a potential vacuum of power based on lack of in the moment discipline.
Good questions. I don't know. I don't believe Bassong received a second yellow though he could have. And then he theoretically has 2 reds in one game, worth I presume at least a 2 game subsequent suspension.

Another red oddity just happened in the Euros. Bertug Yildirum of Turkey was issued a red while on the bench at 90+6. He was sent off for the remaining moments of the match, but Turkey kept playing with 11 men. I understand why coach reds don't put you a player down, but it seems wrong that a player who gets red for dissent while playing means you play with 10, but a player on the bench who dissents means a lesser punishment for the team. I'm not scandalized by the disparity but it seems wrong.

Reactions: CCMore

the look on arriola's face though was still "worth it". if i saw a dumbass dancing in front of me like that, i'd be tempted to do the same thing.

This week it works cause Chicago is on Central and Portland is on west coast. But you’re damn funny if you think I can stay awake till game end at 12/12:30