Great Statement From Club Twitter

Character certainly is an important consideration but this is a football club with footballers not the United Nations. Its not that I'm essentially complaining myself but New York is a notoriously tough city (and I don't mean notorious in a bad sense) and people want to see "explosive personalities" to some extent. Does everybody want the whole squad to be filled with "goody two shoes" from top to bottom? Is that going to take things to the next level? People like Balotelli (and stars in certain US sports) draw a lot of headlines. Lampard and Villa will be very good signings in my view but revolutionary players are usually one of two things. Someone at the very top tier (I wouldn't put Lampard and Villa amongst the absolute elite though they are global stars) or a total maniac. Lampard certainly has proven leadership qualities.

I'm just looking at potential draws in the long term and often the biggest personalities are the biggest draws. In the case of MLS talent will go a long way as well. It could be a certain individual that takes things to the next level even moreso than any initial success. Not all big personalities are unlikable certainly people like Balotelli aren't. A little bit of danger and risk can be a good thing. It draws headlines.

Actually I think Las Vegas should use that as their "niche" if they get into MLS and go out of their way to sign controversial/outgoing personalities. Go way "over the top" in every sense but obviously I'm not suggesting that for NYCFC on the same scale just in moderation.

Last edited:
People like Balotelli (and stars in certain US sports) draw a lot of headlines. Lampard and Villa will be very good signings in my view but revolutionary players are usually one of two things. Someone at the very top tier (I wouldn't put Lampard and Villa amongst the absolute elite though they are global stars) or a total maniac.

When I think of all the beloved teams in the last 50 years of NY Sports history (Dynasty Yankees, '94 Rangers, '86 Mets, '77-'78 Yankees, '69 Mets, '69-'73 Knicks, '69 Jets), I don't see too many teams that line up with what you're talking about. The Bronx Zoo Yankees and maybe Joe Namath on the '69 Jets. All that matters is winning. There's no such thing as a boring winner.

When I think of all the beloved teams in the last 50 years of NY Sports history (Dynasty Yankees, '94 Rangers, '86 Mets, '77-'78 Yankees, '69 Mets, '69-'73 Knicks, '69 Jets), I don't see too many teams that line up with what you're talking about. The Bronx Zoo Yankees and maybe Joe Namath on the '69 Jets. All that matters is winning. There's no such thing as a boring winner.

Perhaps Arsenal should have bought a New York Club !! 1-0

The guys running the twitter account have always been quality. Good content, responsive and still a steady stream of promotional tweets without being annoying. We now have 115k followers on twitter! Pretty amazing considering that makes us 3rd amongst all MLS teams behind Sounders - 122K and Galaxy- 176K.

Definite possibility of us having the most followers in MLS before we even play a game. Now twitter followers isnt a perfect indication of how popular the club is getting but its pretty nice to see. Just shows that we have some quality people behind the scenes working for the club. From those in charge of social media and marketing all the way to our front office. Its a good indication of a quality organization that cares and success to come.

Not looking for Egos - looking for team mates. Or however you want to interpret it.

That is an awesome way to phrase it. Totally agree. Character is paramount. How one wins does actually matter. Proper quality play and dedication of purpose will always triumph over egoism. It is what inspires greatness. Similar in fact between building a company of meaningful significance that can create a paradigm shift, (think Apple, Amazon, Paypal...etc.), and a company only managing the numbers quarter to quarter, or month to month. Winning will take care of itself. New York will be there no matter what the outcome. That is one of the treasured qualities inherent to being a New York fan. Just my two cents.

Reactions: DannyBlueFC