Home - 07/19 TFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this just adds to the question what's up with Lewis? Kid had a very promising showing in his last sub appearance and then went back to being a fringe bench player. Is he hurt? Not showing well in practice? The fact that he can't sniff the field with all of our injuries and missing internationals seems like a bad sing for that money we splashed to move up and grab him. If Lewis is performing we don't even have this conversation he slots in at wing and our 1st choice mf stays in place.
Yeah, I chalk it up to the difference, particularly for attacking players, between coming on at the tail end of a game and running against tired legs and understanding the shape of the game already vs. having to find one's way from the beginning.

We've seen it with Shelton and Poku in seasons past, and we've seen a little bit of it with Camargo. I don't draw much from Lewis's promising sub appearance, so it's not super surprising to me that he's not slotting into that role as a starter even when we're covering for injuries and international duty.

Last edited:
When thinking about this game, remember that it will be after any changes are made to Gold Cup rosters. So, it is reasonable to expect that Johnson could be back and that Bradley and/or Jozy might be called up from Toronto.
Or Arena may have coached us out of the tourney by then.

Or Arena may have coached us out of the tourney by then.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert
When thinking about this game, remember that it will be after any changes are made to Gold Cup rosters. So, it is reasonable to expect that Johnson could be back and that Bradley and/or Jozy might be called up from Toronto.

Yeah, I'm biting my nails wondering if we will get Sean back. We have a great opportunity to gain on the top two teams in the East but both of them are more consistent than we are with and without key players. I'm REALLY hoping we get to come out of this brutal stretch knowing that our boys are up to the challenge; whatever the lineup may be.

The next two matches will either be really great exciting nail biting football. Or we will get blown out of the park in one or both. I don't see how we put a smack down in either match without our full squad present and healthy.

Reactions: JGarrettLieb
It's always possible that one or the other of the next two opponents are having a bad day. NYCFC can also play really well, when the pieces fall into right places. I think 2-4 points is a genuine possibility. I don't know why I'm feeling quite confident about especially the TFC game, perhaps it's because of NYCFC's inconsistency, and the previous game was a faceplant. So hopefully now it's again time for a good fighting performance.

With the exception of the Playoffs, we've been the better team when playing Toronto. I'd like to think that was an abnormally bad series. And unless he heals quickly, Toronto will be without a key cog that brutalized our lineup - here's hoping his kidney heals but not too quickly.

With the exception of the Playoffs, we've been the better team when playing Toronto. I'd like to think that was an abnormally bad series. And unless he heals quickly, Toronto will be without a key cog that brutalized our lineup - here's hoping his kidney heals but not too quickly.

We were able to disrupt Toronto by pestering Gio with Andrew Jacobson. We haven't let lose Ring and Herrera on him and Vazquez yet. Let's see how they hold up against the best* midfield trio in the league.

*Until Chicago adds Quintero. :(

We were able to disrupt Toronto by pestering Gio with Andrew Jacobson. We haven't let lose Ring and Herrera on him and Vazquez yet. Let's see how they hold up against the best* midfield trio in the league.

*Until Chicago adds Quintero. :(
That AND we've proven to be a much better team both playing out of the back & playing over the top when the press actually works. In the playoffs, it felt like Toronto's front 7 always had pressure on our ball carrier and we never got it to the forwards to attack their back three - hopefully will be a very different experience with Ring, Hererra, and Maxi navigating the pressure.

That AND we've proven to be a much better team both playing out of the back & playing over the top when the press actually works. In the playoffs, it felt like Toronto's front 7 always had pressure on our ball carrier and we never got it to the forwards to attack their back three - hopefully will be a very different experience with Ring, Hererra, and Maxi navigating the pressure.
In case anyone wondered why we lost the midfield vs TO in the playoffs i present:
upload_2017-7-11_12-39-2.png

Game 2 featured Iraola, Fat Frank and Il Retiree trying to stop Bradley from running the game by himself and failing. This team should not be compared, AT ALL, to that playoff debacle. I guarantee, ys you heard it here first! I GUARANTEE we will win the midfield in our games vs TO this year. The question will be can TO create on long balls with Giovinco (yes he can, but will they?), and can we turn the possession into goals.

I am really excited for our first game against a worthy opponent with our full midfield.

It's always possible that one or the other of the next two opponents are having a bad day. NYCFC can also play really well, when the pieces fall into right places. I think 2-4 points is a genuine possibility. I don't know why I'm feeling quite confident about especially the TFC game, perhaps it's because of NYCFC's inconsistency, and the previous game was a faceplant. So hopefully now it's again time for a good fighting performance.
It makes sense to feel confident, vieira has a great track record after a loss. Can't remember the last time we dropped 3 points consecutively.

Hopefully just being cautious. He's played a shitton of minutes since the start of the U20WC. Tough on a 19yo kid even with the physical traits of a grown-ass man

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.