Home - 07/19 TFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Dax is staying

giphy.gif

I will take this as a sign that Chanot and Ring are about to go down. Because it's us.

Reactions: Kjbert
I will take this as a sign that Chanot and Ring are about to go down. Because it's us.

Ring sitting on 7 yellows. One more and he would miss the next match. So he has to play it very, very safe because the number 4 games are massive (TFC, CHI, TFC, RB). He can pick up the yellow vs. RB and miss at LA, since that's a guaranteed 3 points.

Ring sitting on 7 yellows. One more and he would miss the next match. So he has to play it very, very safe because the number 4 games are massive (TFC, CHI, TFC, RB). He can pick up the yellow vs. RB and miss at LA, since that's a guaranteed 3 points.
If he goes through that many without a card, doesn't one get erased?

So if I'm reading everything right, Toronto will be missing:

Bradley, Altidore, Morrow (USA Gold Cup)
Ricketts, Osorio (Canada Gold Cup)
Cooper (Panama Gold Cup)
Beitashour, Hagglund (Injury)

That's a total of 4-6 normal starters based on the previous four TFC lineups. Still Giovinco and Vazquez are dangerous.

Last edited:
If he goes through that many without a card, doesn't one get erased?
It's 5 clean games to rescind one.
It used to be 3, but they had to all come when the player was 1 game away. Now it's 5 at any time. There also used to be a limit of one erasure per season and now it is 3.

Ring managed to go 3 straight without a yellow only once this season. Odds are he will miss one of the next 4 games.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
It used to be 3, but they had to all come when the player was 1 game away. Now it's 5 at any time. There also used to be a limit of one erasure per season and now it is 3.

Ring managed to go 3 straight without a yellow only once this season. Odds are he will miss one of the next 4 games.
Enter the Sandman.....

If it has to happen I'd prefer he be available for the NJRB game.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Yeah, they're below the redline so that's the most important game.

Is it the most important game for standings, no not in the slightest. Is it the game I most desire the team to win, oh yes it is. I very much do not like our neighbors in NJ. But that irrational dislike is just part and parcel of sports fandom.

No referee assignment yet...

But an early weather report. The only good night of the week, which is odd because typically we played on the bad weather day with a better weather day the next day.

Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 75.

Is it the most important game for standings, no not in the slightest. Is it the game I most desire the team to win, oh yes it is. I very much do not like our neighbors in NJ. But that irrational dislike is just part and parcel of sports fandom.

It's just ridiculous to prioritize a rivalry game against an also-ran over a playoff positioning game.

But even granting that irrational fan priorities are just part of what makes rooting what it is, this choice doesn't make sense. We're 2-6-0 against RB all time (counting the Open Cup game). Win both remaining games this year and we're 4-6-0. You know what? That won't make them shut up about 7-0. There are 2 ways to make them shut up: win MLS cup or win almost every head to head game for 5-7 years in a row and hope they don't win a Cup before us. Winning MLS Cup is everything, even as concerns the Red Bulls. Improving playoff position to make that more likely has to be the priority even for RB banter purposes.

Cyle Larin has been called up to Canada for the knockout stages of the Gold Cup replacing Raheem Edwards who will be available for TFC on Wednesday.

Last edited:
It's just ridiculous to prioritize a rivalry game against an also-ran over a playoff positioning game.

But even granting that irrational fan priorities are just part of what makes rooting what it is, this choice doesn't make sense. We're 2-6-0 against RB all time (counting the Open Cup game). Win both remaining games this year and we're 4-6-0. You know what? That won't make them shut up about 7-0. There are 2 ways to make them shut up: win MLS cup or win almost every head to head game for 5-7 years in a row and hope they don't win a Cup before us. Winning MLS Cup is everything, even as concerns the Red Bulls. Improving playoff position to make that more likely has to be the priority even for RB banter purposes.

Everything you just said is entirely logical and consistent with my own analysis of the matter. However, that does not really do shit for my desire to have Ring available for the NJRB game over the other options. This is a desire stemming entirely and strongly from the irrational part of my brain. While I could expend the emotional energy to change my feelings to the more logical conclusion I don't deem the relitively large effort I would be required expend to be worth it.

I've accepted that hardcore sports fandom will introduce a fair measure of irrationality into my life that I am content to just leave be.

In effect, I concede that you are rationally correct, however the emotional energy required to change my desire isn't worth it so I'm going to continue to irrationally disagree with you on the matter because fuck the Red Bulls.

Everything you just said is entirely logical and consistent with my own analysis of the matter. However, that does not really do shit for my desire to have Ring available for the NJRB game over the other options. This is a desire stemming entirely and strongly from the irrational part of my brain. While I could expend the emotional energy to change my feelings to the more logical conclusion I don't deem the relitively large effort I would be required expend to be worth it.

I've accepted that hardcore sports fandom will introduce a fair measure of irrationality into my life that I am content to just leave be.

In effect, I concede that you are rationally correct, however the emotional energy required to change my desire isn't worth it so I'm going to continue to irrationally disagree with you on the matter because fuck the Red Bulls.

To summarize, he's a fan.

Reactions: JGarrettLieb
That won't make them shut up about 7-0. There are 2 ways to make them shut up: win MLS cup or win almost every head to head game for 5-7 years in a row and hope they don't win a Cup before us.

They will never ever shut up about anything regarding NYCFC. See JGL's comments about irrationality. We are everything they've ever hoped to be. That's why they cling on to "7-0 - you're all newbies - MLS loves you" stuff. Jealousy is a mofo.

They will never ever shut up about anything regarding NYCFC. See JGL's comments about irrationality. We are everything they've ever hoped to be. That's why they cling on to "7-0 - you're all newbies - MLS loves you" stuff. Jealousy is a mofo.
Trust me, as someone who hates trash talk and banter, if you have a big enough hammer you can make people shut up. That's my go to move when someone won't leave me alone. Escalate to DEFCON 5 throw all the nukes at once immediately and without mercy and if they whine remind them that you never asked to get involved so just shut up. I'm sure everyone hates that but IDGAF. But you need the ammo. If necessary, I'll even change the topic by switching teams and rivalries or even sports if I know the person well enough to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.