MLS Team Valuations - Forbes

The Top 5 sound pretty legit to me. I'm curious as to what makes Houston come in at #6.

NJRB came in at #11 if you click through the slideshow link they put at the bottom.

They also list 2015 revenue. NJRB came in at $23m in revenue whereas NYCFC came in at $36m in revenue.

Also interesting, the article notes that the value of the average MLS team is currently $185m which is 18% up from last year and 80% up from 2013.

The Top 5 sound pretty legit to me. I'm curious as to what makes Houston come in at #6.

NJRB came in at #11 if you click through the slideshow link they put at the bottom.

They also list 2015 revenue. NJRB came in at $23m in revenue whereas NYCFC came in at $36m in revenue.

Also interesting, the article notes that the value of the average MLS team is currently $185m which is 18% up from last year and 80% up from 2013.
Ha! and we don't have a stadium to boost our value yet - we're paying rent. once we build, our value should actually dwarf the other teams - with StubHub Center, LA is only $10M more than us???

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
FYI, this is based on nothing other than people at Forbes making it up. We are renting, but we have no idea about the parameters of the NYCFC - Yankee Stadium deal.

Reactions: Kjbert and NYCFCfan
When we have our new stadium in NYC, we'll be valued above $500M easily. Depending on the state of the league at that time, it may be closer to $1B than $500M. I also think LAFC is going to have a stellar valuation in 2019 when Forbes includes them on the dataset.

Reactions: Kjbert
I wonder what "revenue" covers (ticket, merch, sponsorships, etc)? and how does NYCFC trump NJRB after only 2 years in the league?
Good question. But remember that it is giving us 2015 revenue, so that would be after 1 year in the league and not 2.

I wonder what "revenue" covers (ticket, merch, sponsorships, etc)? and how does NYCFC trump NJRB after only 2 years in the league?
NYCFC had three top-bought jerseys (or was it four in 2015 with Mix included?). We also sell more tickets each game which leads to more concessions. Not sure how the Red Bull mothership pays for their jersey sponsorship, but Etihad definitely pays more. Also, because of the tix number NYCFC can charge sporsors more to end up on the sideboard video displays than RB can with theirs.

What I'm curious about is if the numbers are Net or Gross? There's a big difference if salaries still have to be deducted.

We would definitely be number one if those figures were converted to DanBucks.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
NYCFC had three top-bought jerseys (or was it four in 2015 with Mix included?). We also sell more tickets each game which leads to more concessions. Not sure how the Red Bull mothership pays for their jersey sponsorship, but Etihad definitely pays more. Also, because of the tix number NYCFC can charge sporsors more to end up on the sideboard video displays than RB can with theirs.

What I'm curious about is if the numbers are Net or Gross? There's a big difference if salaries still have to be deducted.
I would assume Gross. Revenue is usually associated with Gross whereas Income is Net.

What's kinda crazy about this is that the longer it takes Beckham to get his team going, the richer he'll end up being. His Option allows him to buy in at $20M, or some ridiculously low number like that based on the year he retired, and by the time he figures his shit out, new investors buying in will be paying $200M or more. And each year he doesn't have a team, he's not on the hook for operating expenses or league fees. It's like the Google custodian that was given a bunch of stock options when they started out and now he's fully vested and able to exercise them.

What's kinda crazy about this is that the longer it takes Beckham to get his team going, the richer he'll end up being. His Option allows him to buy in at $20M, or some ridiculously low number like that based on the year he retired, and by the time he figures his shit out, new investors buying in will be paying $200M or more. And each year he doesn't have a team, he's not on the hook for operating expenses or league fees. It's like the Google custodian that was given a bunch of stock options when they started out and now he's fully vested and able to exercise them.

Also why Garber is so desperate to get Miami in as #24 and not wait any longer. It's costing the league millions.

Also why Garber is so desperate to get Miami in as #24 and not wait any longer. It's costing the league millions.
Exactly! There really should have been a time limit attached so that the Option expires if no movement. Every new investor is going to find themselves technically on the hook for Beckham's Golden Parachute with the money they lose from not getting a split of a "new" investor's buy-in.

Beckham should just sell his option for $150M or the amount to make owners in his group a good profit. There isn't going to be a great MLS club in Miami based on the stadium situation/location that Beckham is pursing. MLS can get a better option solidified elsewhere.

What's the opportunity cost to the league for waiting on Beckham?

Beckham should just sell his option for $150M or the amount to make owners in his group a good profit. There isn't going to be a great MLS club in Miami based on the stadium situation/location that Beckham is pursing. MLS can get a better option solidified elsewhere.

I would guess there's a line-item clause in the contract that forbids Beckham from selling it. I find it impossible to believe MLS would have given him the ability to trade it as a commodity without creating any real infrastructure of a club.

do you think it's better for MLS to:

1. abandon Miami totally (and let another ownership group develop another team elsewhere)

OR

2. let another ownership group take over the Miami franchise

OR

3. wait for Beckham?

When I have a free moment (maybe post-season) I want to do what I did for our roster and see what each team in the league is actually paying in salaries vs their cap hit. I would guess we have the highest payroll in the league, but I would like to see how it actually stacks up to everyone else. We could then also measure payroll vs performance.

*I wish the MLS gave out their salary list in an excel friendly format, then it would be so much easier to plug in...

do you think it's better for MLS to:

1. abandon Miami totally (and let another ownership group develop another team elsewhere)

OR

2. let another ownership group take over the Miami franchise

OR

3. wait for Beckham?

I don't think there's a difference between 2/3. If Beckham and the people he brought into his ownership can't do it, nobody in Miami can, unless you're Tony Montana.

So I'd vote 1 then 2/3

When I have a free moment (maybe post-season) I want to do what I did for our roster and see what each team in the league is actually paying in salaries vs their cap hit. I would guess we have the highest payroll in the league, but I would like to see how it actually stacks up to everyone else. We could then also measure payroll vs performance.

*I wish the MLS gave out their salary list in an excel friendly format, then it would be so much easier to plug in...
I think Toronto may actually be higher but that's a fuzzy guess. Hard to say with Tam/Gam buying down salaries which technically comes from the league.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam