New Jersey - Postmatch

Never seen a worse reffed match. Never. Every call went RB’s way and Lawrence and Lade were candidates for reds. There was also a foul by Adams that was suspect. With Unkle Geiger and That third fcker Ref that always has it in for us, all doing this game, it was always going to be 90min of jaded calls one way and “fair” play the other.

Glad I made the snap decision to attend this one.

Hopefully it can serve as a rallying/turning point for the club. We sure need a kick in the pants.

I'm sure that's what the narrative will be going forward, but if we play better down the stretch it's more likely to be due to an easier schedule.

Reactions: Sabo and Fake Jew
Did Rodney Wallace have one single touch that wasn't garbage? He looks like some kid they picked up from a college football team to fill a spot but never played soccer before. Total garbage absolutely no justification to have him on the field again.

This mentality, I don't know man. Wallace missed a sitter, sure, but without him as an aerial outlet after Berget goes off, and without him tracking back like he did, we get absolutely fucking battered tonight. I know there's some people who wish we played Lewis, Poku and Mix up front every week, and I'm as disappointed by Wallace's finishing as the next guy, but how about you give some credit to how hard Wallace worked tonight, rather than bury him for not magically turning into a deadly #9 out of necessity. He was a third (fourth? fifth?) choice emergency striker ffs.

RIP, Eloi Amagat's NYCFC career. We hardly new ye.

Berget's cameo tonight was nothing short of phenomenal and we would have won the game handily had we stayed on.

Credit to Dome for getting a point out of a derby where almost everything that could have gone wrong did. Not quite sure why we kept pushing for a winner (even though it honestly looked like we'd get one!), but with that end-to-end stuff at the end, I enjoyed the most madcap derby yet.

Something that really bugged me tonight was our propensity to cross the ball on the ground in the box behind the players crashing the net. We typically never have more than one forward in the box, and tonight there were usually three running, and instead of low pinging crosses that they could run on to for the deflection shot, Tinny kept cutting the ball back behind the runners, repeatedly. Sweat did it at the end of the match. Just bang it in and hope for a ricochet if not a clean hit - that’s what Villa’s cross was, and if not for Wallace, it’s have been perfect.

My takeaways from this match:
1. While yes we got two red cards, one of them is completely unimportant for future games as we're likely to never see his face again anyway, and the other we're just gonna appeal to PRO and they're going to rescind it.
2. Rodney. Fucking. Wallace. What if he just plays defense, honestly? He makes great tackles, but he had two chances for a winner and fluffed them both.
3. Villa is a god no matter how old he gets, and the effort just shines through.
4. Dome is at fault tonight. He played a person who has NEVER played for us before, showed zero passion and was invisible for 40 minutes, and then got a red card. However,
5. For the first time since... idk even when, we played a real derby match. That was some intense shit. The players were going at each other, you could really feel the passion in some of the players.
6. Ofori looked awful in the first half. Second half started, he looked amazing, so Geiger told Unkel to send him off so he couldn't rip apart RB anymore.
7. Berget changed the game. Too bad he came off, because I think we could have won with him for 45'.
8. Even though we tied, that was by far one of, if not THE best NYCFC game I've been to yet.
9. Thank you RB for bringing us back to our pre-montreal look in the second half. We looked (at least imo) a lot closer to what we were playing during our hot streak.
10. Chanot is a brick wall. Amazing tonight. His first touches to bring the ball down were amazing, but Ibeagha HAS TO STOP THE HAND UP OFFSIDE STOP RUNNING THING. Pisses me off. Ethan white and Brillant used to do that, and other teams would beat the offside trap and run rings around Saudners.
11. I spotted someone in the section in front of me... (Sorry it's so blurry...)
adam adam
wfb1AVe.jpg

ETA

12. Because I'm dumb and forgot to add it...
Ted Unkel is the biggest joke this planet has ever seen. There has never been a worse referee in the history of this sport. He can go back to the farm and suck his big red bull's balls.

Analysis aside, that second half was fucking thrilling.

And David Villa knows how to curse in English. At the end of that extra quarter they tacked on he was screaming at the refs to blow the whistle “that’s fucking enough, it’s fucking over” or something like that. It was beautiful. I fucking love that guy.

While yes we got two red cards, one of them is completely unimportant for future games as we're likely to never see his face again anyway, and the other we're just gonna appeal to PRO and they're going to rescind it
This is not getting rescinded. He cleated his Achilles.

Unkel was terrible in many other ways, and there’s an argument that wasn’t bad enough for a second red, but it’s not getting overruled.

My takeaways from this match:
1. While yes we got two red cards, one of them is completely unimportant for future games as we're likely to never see his face again anyway, and the other we're just gonna appeal to PRO and they're going to rescind it.
2. Rodney. Fucking. Wallace. What if he just plays defense, honestly? He makes great tackles, but he had two chances for a winner and fluffed them both.
3. Villa is a god no matter how old he gets, and the effort just shines through.
4. Dome is at fault tonight. He played a person who has NEVER played for us before, showed zero passion and was invisible for 40 minutes, and then got a red card. However,
5. For the first time since... idk even when, we played a real derby match. That was some intense shit. The players were going at each other, you could really feel the passion in some of the players.
6. Ofori looked awful in the first half. Second half started, he looked amazing, so Geiger told Unkel to send him off so he couldn't rip apart RB anymore.
7. Berget changed the game. Too bad he came off, because I think we could have won with him for 45'.
8. Even though we tied, that was by far one of, if not THE best NYCFC game I've been to yet.
9. Thank you RB for bringing us back to our pre-montreal look in the second half. We looked (at least imo) a lot closer to what we were playing during our hot streak.
10. Chanot is a brick wall. Amazing tonight. His first touches to bring the ball down were amazing, but Ibeagha HAS TO STOP THE HAND UP OFFSIDE STOP RUNNING THING. Pisses me off. Ethan white and Brillant used to do that, and other teams would beat the offside trap and run rings around Saudners.
11. I spotted someone in the section in front of me... (Sorry it's so blurry...)

ETA

12. Because I'm dumb and forgot to add it...
Ted Unkel is the biggest joke this planet has ever seen. There has never been a worse referee in the history of this sport. He can go back to the farm and suck his big red bull's balls.
9C51C258-F4F5-4FF0-B213-6186E327229D.jpeg

This is not getting rescinded. He cleated his Achilles.

Unkel was terrible in many other ways, and there’s an argument that wasn’t bad enough for a second red, but it’s not getting overruled.
Ofori didn't tackle BWP. That's two men running for a ball and BWP hits it away and tries to slow himself but Ofori is still going forward and happens to hit is hoot down where BWP stuck his leg. Not a red card for me.
Was going to scream "Adam!" as you passed by me going out of your section (right where you exited the section I was standing right above you lol.) but I figured it'd be awkward at the timing of the game so I didn't.

What, based on the second half we should have won it. Wallace blew the winner and Villa almost beat Robles. We outplayed them in that half.

Yes, we could have won it. No we should not have won it. Not two men down. We shouldn’t even have drawn. A win would have been amazing. But I can’t complain about a draw under the circumstances.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan