New Nycfc Stadium Site Study - Long Island City / Sunnyside Yards

Most typical Queens residents are not offended by calling Manhattan the City. Most of us do it regularly. Not everything has to be a politicized. Just let people live their damn lives in peace.

Words have meanings. This habit of speech (which is dying out, thankfully) reflects something in our subconscious. Shining a light on this is a good thing.

I am a resident of Queens, and have been since I was a year old. I like Queens for the most part; but I definitely don't identify with it. I identify only as a New Yorker. It is this identity that NYCFC is explicitly appealing to.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Words have meanings. This habit of speech (which is dying out, thankfully) reflects something in our subconscious. Shining a light on this is a good thing.

I am a resident of Queens, and have been since I was a year old. I like Queens for the most part; but I definitely don't identify with it. I identify only as a New Yorker. It is this identity that NYCFC is explicitly appealing to.

My dad is from The Bronx. He calls Manhattan downtown, like it was a part of The Bronx, but would never correct someone for calling it the city. Thats part of The Bronx superiority complex.
He never uses the terms Brooklyn or Queens and just refers to it as the island.

I don't want to share a stadium with the Jets. Like I don't want to be near the Mets either. Too many bad sports omens to haunt us.

I was at butt fumble.

Reactions: The Toe
Sorry, I used the wrong term there. Not so much sightlines, but you can't get nearly as close and intimate with the game.

The sidelines in the NFL give tons of room, so the seats start way back from the action. As opposed to SSS, the first row of seats are practically on top of it.

While in a way I completely agree I do have to say that's just the tiniest bit shortsighted. I don't own a car and take the subways everywhere but there are thousands of people who drive to matches. The easier it is to drive to and park at our stadium the more people will buy tickets and attend matches.

That's one of my issues with the Hudson Yards site, actually. Much as I love the location there's no parking and no highway access. That's semi OK for the Garden but for a stadium that's twice the size and used (usually) on the weekends you're going to need car access.
NYCFC is building a brand fit for city dwellers. Not suburb drivers

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano
NYCFC is building a brand fit for city dwellers. Not suburb drivers
Seriously? That's ridiculous. Next you're going to tell me that only people under 30 can be "true" fans. Or that women don't like soccer as much as men do.

Where someone lives or how they get to the stadium has nothing to do with how much they support the team.

Seriously? That's ridiculous. Next you're going to tell me that only people under 30 can be "true" fans. Or that women don't like soccer as much as men do.

Where someone lives or how they get to the stadium has nothing to do with how much they support the team.
Its not that holy shit. The NEW team is trying to build a brand. They build it by applying themselves to a certain demographics. Rn they are trying to stick to the 5 boroughs, no car demo. They sre trying to. Yes they still advertise in suburbs but thats not theur main demo

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano
Its not that holy shit. The NEW team is trying to build a brand. They build it by applying themselves to a certain demographics. Rn they are trying to stick to the 5 boroughs, no car demo. They sre trying to. Yes they still advertise in suburbs but thats not theur main demo

I would be willing to bet that more city dwellers are STH but that suburban STH have hold more seats.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
You may have been playing urban planner. But you certainly weren't channelling Robert Moses, who disastrously disdained transit. For example, he single-handedly scuttled plans to put a rail line down the centre of the L.I.E.

Also, Moses cared not a bit about sports stadia. When the Dodgers wanted to build, entirely at their own expense, a new ballpark at the intersection of Atlantic and Fourth Avenues (the eventual site of the Nets' arena), all that the team needed Moses to do was to help aggregate the multiple plots into one. But Moses, who held several City and State posts and was essentially accountable to no one, refused to do a thing in this regard.

Having been soundly rebuffed by the only authority in the City which could help him, the Dodgers' owner Walter O'Malley reluctantly looked elsewhere. And he found that municipal officials in Los Angeles, in contrast to New York, were very interested to talk with him.

By the time anyone else in New York City government got wind of the Dodgers' desire to build in Brooklyn, the team had already entered into agreements with Los Angeles city officials about acquiring land in Chavez Ravine for the team to build its (entirely privately financed) stadium. All the City could do at that point was to offer a site in Flushing Meadow Park (the later location of Shea Stadium), which was understandably unimpressive to the Dodgers.

Popular mythology holds that O'Malley abandoned Brooklyn. In fact, O'Malley was driven out of Brooklyn by Moses. In the grand scheme of things, the loss of the Dodgers is a small part of Moses's toxic legacy. The biggest errors of this megalomaniacal madman include the destruction of neighbourhoods by the placement of highways, and the overall promotion of driving in a transit-rich city.

So, if you're imagining creating a sports stadium situated in a spot that is well-served by public transportation, then Moses's name is the last one which you'd want to invoke.

(P.S. - Long Island City is not "close to the city". It's in the city. The archaic use of the term "the city" to refer only to Manhattan really rankles this proud New Yorker from Queens.)

I love this post. - Fellow New Yorker From Queens and Robert Moses hater.

Wasn't tailgating access (as in no big parking lots that Jets fans could set up huge grills and tailgate) part of the reason that the West Side stadium proposal got killed? I always thought that this was seen as a major part of the "culture" that Jets fans cried about needing.

So I wouldn't jump into the arms of the Jets to build a combined stadium.

You guys are forgetting one thing.

NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY!

Also, the stadium is in the wrong spot. Put it between 35th & 39th not 39th & 43rd. Put the parking lot on the other side of 35th and a pedestrian crossway over & under 35th, though they'll probably end up closing it to traffic anyway like they do in YS. This way there's more space and the transit options are better utilized, also including 33rd st as a stop for the people coming from the city, while those coming from flushing can get off at 40th.
I dunno if you mentioned it but you've also got stops on the Q101, Q32, Q60 (which run between queens and Manhattan), Q66, B24 (between hipsterland and Sunnyside), and I think the Q102 & Q103 (but I'm not 100% sure about those two.) All within walking distance. The Q104 too but it wouldn't really be relevant I think. The LIRR is a short cab ride or a couple stops on the 7 train in either direction, but I'd imagine they put a station in at the stadium since they're building on top of existing tracks it'd be stupid not to.

The LIE ain't far, there's exits on 48th & laurel hill, and 40th & laurel hill.
From the 59th st bridge you got queens Blvd off the upper level and northern off the lower. The BQE there too but I just realized I only know where to get on it not off it. The grand central is the one that is not nearby & a pita through local streets. Traffic and parking will be a nightmare, full stop.

But they are working on that east side access project so frankly I don't know exactly how feasible building on top of that spot is right now.

But most importantly, NIMBY!!! The gentrification hurts too much already. Don't make it worse.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I feel it would be a disservice if I didn't post this. I work for a major consulting firm in NYC and we are working on the Sunnyside Yard redevelopment in addition to another group within the company working on protecting Amtrack's interests. The two groups obviously cannot discuss both projects due to the conflict of interest. That being said, that area will not be where a stadium will ever reside. Try building foundations in an area underlain with a multitude of train tracks. Additionally, this area is the site of a major construction project known as East Side Access, which is no where near completion (6-7 more years).

In short, I don't think this is where the stadium will be - if anything is built here it will be housing due to the high value they will carry.