NYCFC Confirm Departure of PV. Nice Confirm Arrival of PV as Manager.

Getting compensated gets us $$$, and that’s better than nothing isn’t it? Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
We are owned by an oil sheik. Giving our club money that we can't spend to improve our roster does zero to improve the club's competitive advantage.

I think you are thinking too much in the here and now. If we are getting no compensation, he probably has a release clause that would trigger if he accepted a job from a club in a top 5 league. Would Vieria have even signed a contract to coach in MLS without a clause like that?

ok....what good does it do if we got cash ? we cant use it for GAM/TAM or what ever "AM" there may be. the cash is not really going to make a difference to CFG since it cannot be that much with only 6 months left and they got money anyway. i just dont see how this changes anything once he is gone. you really think people really buying tickets to see PV manage? id like to know what "anything" could be. we are not getting a player for him.

recruiting? Yes, but this was something that we would have to face at some point. now, end of 2018 or whenever he left. he was not going to stay here forever.
and who knows maybe there was clause for this type of situation to be facilitated, maybe both negotiated a way out ...we dont know what the contract states.

However limited the $$ may be, it could be used for operating expenses or to offset declining ticket revenue.

People may not pay to watch Vieira coach but if the team starts losing games as a result of the transition, people may not buy tickets. PV leaving can mean a worse product and that can mean less buyers.

If that’s not the case, then why would we care that PV leaves?

We don’t know what the contract states except if we receive nothing then we know the contract does not have a clause protecting our interests- cause if it did- we would get something.

I’d like to believe this wasn’t an oversight but I can’t.

Reactions: COLINMOUTH
However limited the $$ may be, it could be used for operating expenses or to offset declining ticket revenue.

People may not pay to watch Vieira coach but if the team starts losing games as a result of the transition, people may not buy tickets. PV leaving can mean a worse product and that can mean less buyers.

If that’s not the case, then why would we care that PV leaves?

We don’t know what the contract states except if we receive nothing then we know the contract does not have a clause protecting our interests- cause if it did- we would get something.

I’d like to believe this wasn’t an oversight but I can’t.

pretty sure there has been declining ticket revenue after year one since our ST have been going down. so the operating expenses are paid by CFG, they have the money to offset. we are not part of poor ownership group. the risk of having bad results can happen anytime even if PV was gone at end of 2018.....could of started with 1-5 record in 2019 ...same problem.

managers come and go....we can be sad if PV wants to leave to european league but no need angry. we have to focus on FO bringing someone capable of keeping of continuing the good trend of making playoffs top two in conference and try to go on to win the MLS cup. This is a first for the team and we have to see what they do with it mid season poaching of manager.

again, we dont know what contract states. perhaps at the start there was a clause saying that if european offer came in he would be let go - or else he didnt sign with nycfc

i think sampaoli had similar clause at sevilla that if Argentina NT came calling he would go and contract rescinded. now in this case we dont know due to track record of CFG being secret with a bunch of things- even injuries are secret.

just dont see compensation being a big part of this here.

pretty sure there has been declining ticket revenue after year one since our ST have been going down. so the operating expenses are paid by CFG, they have the money to offset. we are not part of poor ownership group. the risk of having bad results can happen anytime even if PV was gone at end of 2018.....could of started with 1-5 record in 2019 ...same problem.

managers come and go....we can be sad if PV wants to leave to european league but no need angry. we have to focus on FO bringing someone capable of keeping of continuing the good trend of making playoffs top two in conference and try to go on to win the MLS cup. This is a first for the team and we have to see what they do with it mid season poaching of manager.

again, we dont know what contract states. perhaps at the start there was a clause saying that if european offer came in he would be let go - or else he didnt sign with nycfc

i think sampaoli had similar clause at sevilla that if Argentina NT came calling he would go and contract rescinded. now in this case we dont know due to track record of CFG being secret with a bunch of things- even injuries are secret.

just dont see compensation being a big part of this here.

So because CFG has money, we shouldn’t care? I have to be honest- I don’t follow that.

I agree we shouldn’t be angry at PV for leaving and I am not.

Yes the contract may say something that lets PV walk for nothing- and that is exactly the problem. And maybe PV wouldn’t have signed with us without that clause. Good point- but i can’t give the club the benefit of the doubt cause they don’t deserve it.

I want this to be a friendly league for young foreign managers to test the waters and hopefully use it as a stepping stone to a bigger league. I don't want it to be like that forever, but for now it is good for the league and will further develop the league talent wise and also from an international reputation stand point. An unreasonable buyout clause or expecting to be overly compensated by these foreign teams would be a turnoff for future foreign managers. Again, I don't want it to be this way in MLS forever, but for now this is the best move. We need to keep attracting talent whether its players, FO staff, or coaches.

Now that said, on the discussion of foreign managers, for every PV let's hope there aren't many Ruud Gullits

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I want this to be a friendly league for young foreign managers to test the waters and hopefully use it as a stepping stone to a bigger league. I don't want it to be like that forever, but for now it is good for the league and will further develop the league talent wise and also from an international reputation stand point. An unreasonable buyout clause or expecting to be overly compensated by these foreign teams would be a turnoff for future foreign managers. Again, I don't want it to be this way in MLS forever, but for now this is the best move. We need to keep attracting talent whether its players, FO staff, or coaches.

Now that said, on the discussion of foreign managers, for every PV let's hope there aren't many Ruud Gullits

That’s a good point and if the league prevented us from having such a clause for this reason, different story.

Reactions: dannd23
So because CFG has money, we shouldn’t care? I have to be honest- I don’t follow that.

I agree we shouldn’t be angry at PV for leaving and I am not.

Yes the contract may say something that lets PV walk for nothing- and that is exactly the problem. And maybe PV wouldn’t have signed with us without that clause. Good point- but i can’t give the club the benefit of the doubt cause they don’t deserve it.

no we shouldnt .....what ever cash compensation we would of gotten to take care of "expenses" is a drop in the bucket for them. pretty sure team is still spending lots already on renting yankee stadium anyway. 6 month contract compensation is not the problem here.

if we were a piss poor team that can barely make ends meet then yes compensation payment is key

EDIT: True team will not get benefit of doubt but again we wont know

no we shouldnt .....what ever cash compensation we would of gotten to take care of "expenses" is a drop in the bucket for them. pretty sure team is still spending lots already on renting yankee stadium anyway. 6 month contract compensation is not the problem here.

if we were a piss poor team that can barely make ends meet then yes compensation payment is key

EDIT: True team will not get benefit of doubt but again we wont know

If they put your logic into practice- they will be a piss poor team that can barely make ends meet. Safe to say CFG and it’s holding company is flush because historically they have NOT operated that way.

Last edited:
If they put your logic into practice- they will be a piss poor team that can barely make ends meet. Safe to say CFG and it’s homding company is flush because historically they have NOT operated that way.

this is a manager not a player.....you are not getting millions from this. so yes its not going to make a difference.

this is a manager not a player.....you are not getting millions from this. so yes its not going to make a difference.

I’m Ok with that. I’d still like something which is better than nothing.

“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.”

I’m Ok with that. I’d still like something which is better than nothing.

“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.”

so then its more the principle that you are worried about? Fair.

just that i dont believe blocking him for 6 months reaming on contract when he has a chance to go and test himself. my perception is different for managers since they teams are not paying millions like players. he wants to go, then as long you both end on good terms then go on. agree to disagree then.

its part of the game, my true concern is the FO's next move. which is something they had to have had some plan already ...just that now it has to be used 6 months earlier

so then its more the principle that you are worried about? Fair.

just that i dont believe blocking him for 6 months reaming on contract when he has a chance to go and test himself. my perception is different for managers since they teams are not paying millions like players. he wants to go, then as long you both end on good terms then go on. agree to disagree then.

its part of the game, my true concern is the FO's next move. which is something they had to have had some plan already ...just that now it has to be used 6 months earlier

I don’t want to block him. I want to be compensated for him leaving. His leaving now has some value to them and to us.

Maybe that value isn’t millions but it is something worthwhile. If that weren’t true, then his new club can wait until this season is over.

No one is actually mad at PV for leaving right? Be realistic guys.
If anything I'm quite very pleased that this is moving along so quickly. I'd be much more upset if this dragged out over the entire summer, even if it did mean we got compensated in the end.

I don’t want to block him. I want to be compensated for him leaving. His leaving now has some value to them and to us.

Maybe that value isn’t millions but it is something worthwhile. If that weren’t true, then his new club can wait until this season is over.

if he already made up his mind and wants to go then he goes. if CFG stops it because Nice didnt want to pay compensation then PV will have sour relationship with FO. Maybe he will do weird lineups and try to get fired by losing. how does that help us?

Maybe CFG is cool this time to let him go since its only 6 months left in contract and wont persue compensation, maybe that is why St etienne deal didnt happen last year since maybe back then he still had 1 year plus left on contract and CFG did want something in return. again...too many questions to worry i think. the focus is on the next chapter and who comes in.

Have we heard anything yet about the manager transition plan? Which assistant is in line to take over? Any word on a hiring search?

I think the team has two options (or a combination of the two) to handle the remainder of the season.

1 - Elevate Lattanzio on an interim basis to maintain continuity (or maybe bring someone in from Manchester on the same theory).
2 - Take advantage of the summer and go find a long term solution from among the leagues that are on break.

I am going to guess we start with #1 and the Club tries to find #2 over the next couple of weeks.

I also think the Club is totally prepared for this, so things will move quickly and be as seamless as possible.