NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

"So can Orlando or NYCFC make a playoff breakthrough this year? Both teams will clearly be better, but any conversation about the postseason also involves teams that fall off, and that is difficult to picture at the moment. All five of last year's Eastern Conference playoff teams have improved to varying degrees. It's not like climbing Everest, but it will be difficult nonetheless."

I didn't know the Eastern Conference only had 5 playoff teams last year. And as many have mentioned here before, I would definitely argue that DCU and NER have declined. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see both us and Orlando in the playoffs.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
The Guardian ranks us at #13 pre-season.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/02/mls-pre-season-power-rankings-portland-nycfc

Conclusion

"But it’s at the back where NYCFC really suffered last year, so a lot will be expected of the incoming Frederic Brillant in shoring up the heart of their defense. Once again, NYC’s playoff chances will not be determined by how many they score, but how many they concede, especially late on.
Last season: Eighth in Eastern Conference
Key player: Frederic Brillant
The new season in one word: Leaky"

This article covers spots 8-14. Spots 15-20 is here: http://www.theguardian.com/football...season-power-rankings-nos-15-20-the-also-rans
I don't think 1-7 has been posted.
Looking at the East, they have DC behind us at 14, then Philly and Chicago at 19 and 20 (spots 15-18 are all in the West), which means they project us to miss the playoffs again. They list Orlando 1 ahead of us at 12, presumably taking the 6 spot in the East. New England is 11 and Montreal is 9. That leaves Columbus, Red Bulls, and Toronto as their top-ranked Eastern teams.

Overall, their team-by-team analysis might be better than what MLS put together.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
The Guardian ranks us at #13 pre-season.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/02/mls-pre-season-power-rankings-portland-nycfc

Conclusion

"But it’s at the back where NYCFC really suffered last year, so a lot will be expected of the incoming Frederic Brillant in shoring up the heart of their defense. Once again, NYC’s playoff chances will not be determined by how many they score, but how many they concede, especially late on.
Last season: Eighth in Eastern Conference
Key player: Frederic Brillant
The new season in one word: Leaky"

This article covers spots 8-14. Spots 15-20 is here: http://www.theguardian.com/football...season-power-rankings-nos-15-20-the-also-rans
I don't think 1-7 has been posted.
Looking at the East, they have DC behind us at 14, then Philly and Chicago at 19 and 20 (spots 15-18 are all in the West), which means they project us to miss the playoffs again. They list Orlando 1 ahead of us at 12, presumably taking the 6 spot in the East. New England is 11 and Montreal is 9. That leaves Columbus, Red Bulls, and Toronto as their top-ranked Eastern teams.

Overall, their team-by-team analysis might be better than what MLS put together.
I have an incredibly hard time believing RB can maintain their high press all year like they did in 2015. Every player is a year older and for some of those guys in the front it's going to be tough chasing and pressuring; there are definitely aerobic fitness losses from one year to the next - not saying they can't do it, but it will likely become less effective as the season wears on. Plus the loss of Miazga is going to be bigger than they realize - young energetic & tough kid is hard to replace.

I always wonder if a team that is really bad one year, then the opposite the next (without wholesale changes), is truly the good or the bad version - which is the outlier???

Reactions: Ulrich
I have an incredibly hard time believing RB can maintain their high press all year like they did in 2015. Every player is a year older and for some of those guys in the front it's going to be tough chasing and pressuring; there are definitely aerobic fitness losses from one year to the next - not saying they can't do it, but it will likely become less effective as the season wears on. Plus the loss of Miazga is going to be bigger than they realize - young energetic & tough kid is hard to replace.

I always wonder if a team that is really bad one year, then the opposite the next (without wholesale changes), is truly the good or the bad version - which is the outlier???
The Guardian has now published the 1-7 rankings and they do have the RB at Number 1.
http://www.theguardian.com/football...-season-power-rankings-nos-1-7-the-contenders

Like you, I expect them to drop, but they could lose 10 points over last year and still finish around 4th place. And I agree Miazga could be a big loss.
Rounding out the East, the Guardian has the Crew ranked 3rd overall (behind #2 F Dallas) and Toronto ranked 6th overall.

Reactions: Ulrich
The Guardian has now published the 1-7 rankings and they do have the RB at Number 1.
http://www.theguardian.com/football...-season-power-rankings-nos-1-7-the-contenders

Like you, I expect them to drop, but they could lose 10 points over last year and still finish around 4th place. And I agree Miazga could be a big loss.
Rounding out the East, the Guardian has the Crew ranked 3rd overall (behind #2 F Dallas) and Toronto ranked 6th overall.
That Guardian preview is well done. Its much more than the 1.5 sentence blurbs the other sites are providing and shows they have paid attention to the whole offseason of each team. I really enjoyed reading through all of them as it helps sum up the offseasons each team has had. Great way to get ready for this Sunday.

DC that high? do they know hamid is out for a few months and that will affect them at least in the early run? also based on how they played so far against queretaro still feel they can drop more.

also montreal not having drogba for a month can affect montreals early going.
Not that I'm here to defend the Guardian, but the Drogba news didn't drop until after they published their preview. At the end of the season, I think Drogba will have been a net positive for Montreal, but not by a lot. I expect him to flip between infuriating and exciting. I do think the Impact are a playoff contender; they did pretty well before he even showed up last season, but they should drop somewhat in their point total. I can imagine us catching them this year if things break right.

That Guardian preview is well done. Its much more than the 1.5 sentence blurbs the other sites are providing and shows they have paid attention to the whole offseason of each team. I really enjoyed reading through all of them as it helps sum up the offseasons each team has had. Great way to get ready for this Sunday.
I really like the Guardian soccer/football coverage and I'm glad to see them bringing their attention to MLS.

Not that I'm here to defend the Guardian, but the Drogba news didn't drop until after they published their preview. At the end of the season, I think Drogba will have been a net positive for Montreal, but not by a lot. I expect him to flip between infuriating and exciting. I do think the Impact are a playoff contender; they did pretty well before he even showed up last season, but they should drop somewhat in their point total. I can imagine us catching them this year if things break right.

ill give you that...but i was quoting the MLS GB article you put...i still feel DC may suffer till hamid comes back...he is a difference maker IMO for them.

Reactions: Konrad and Ulrich

Don't forget that a ten point loss for them means other teams are gaining the points so it would be a bigger swing than as first described.

Reactions: Konrad