NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

He's stuck on the tactical decision of playing Pirlo as the 6. That is exactly what he did last year. He wants to be the last one back when he gets the ball. The difference this year is the spacing of the CBs, FBs and CMs that all compress the field once we turn it over. I think that tactic will be the difference this year in limiting counter attacks. Not to mention not allowing Saunders to kick it right to an opposing forward on restarts.
If his history of analysis is an indicator, he's also stuck not being very bright and myopic.

Reactions: Konrad and Kjbert
If his history of analysis is an indicator, he's also stuck not being very bright and myopic.

have you read his previous years "previews" i wanted to know how good he is in predicting.

i used to follow him on twitter but his graphs and analysis at times felt unnecessarily complicated. or just say things just to say it

Reactions: Konrad and Kjbert
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/04/armchair-analyst-2016-mls-season-preview-spectacular

MLS's Armchair Analyst with a full season review, and he thinks NYCFC is going to be a trainwreck, placing them far out of the playoff picture, basically saying they are going to be last. Take a wild guess why: Pirlo can't be a lone 6 and since MLS is a "counter-attacking league", you need an "energetic" D-mid like Dax McCarty. Sigh. Cue the necessary GIF of an instance where Pirlo didn't defend (its where he is yelling at Poku who tries to take on two players and coughs it up).

Maybe everyone is right and I am wrong, but I just don't see how having a full preseason and a coach that is putting a formation in place that plays to Pirlo's strengths - as he's played his whole career - is going to continue to create this trainwreck. NYCFC tried putting that "D-mid" next to him last year (Jacobson) and it didn't work because Pirlo wasn't good enough? Come on. It's almost as if Kreis said "ahh, eff it" and didn't think about how to use Pirlo's strength because he had to have Jacobson on the field all the time.
The league is changing as better quality players are coming in. It's moving away from the counter and heading towards traditional football. They can't see that NYCFC will be setting the tone.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
have you read his previous years "previews" i wanted to know how good he is in predicting.

i used to follow him on twitter but his graphs and analysis at times felt unnecessarily complicated. or just say things just to say it
Haven't read previous years preseason stuff, and I only read a bit last season until I realized I wasn't getting anything out of it. Any analyis from the MLS website has to be taken with an entire shaker of salt because it's an in-house shill source.

Reactions: adam
While this doesn't ALWAYS work, in soccer, sometimes overwhelming possession and lack of turnovers is as good as having that destroyer in the 6 role everyone always slobbers over.

I agree that we don't have a player like Dax McCarty in front of our backline. But RBNY doesn't have a creative player like Pirlo there.

What I've found with MLS is that two very good CBs allow the rest of the team to push up the field. Expecting huge things from Brillant this season.

On a non-related note, not thrilled at all with how Van Damme has played for LAG. I thought he looked awful the past two weeks.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
While this doesn't ALWAYS work, in soccer, sometimes overwhelming possession and lack of turnovers is as good as having that destroyer in the 6 role everyone always slobbers over.

I agree that we don't have a player like Dax McCarty in front of our backline. But RBNJ doesn't have a creative player like Pirlo there.

What I've found with MLS is that two very good CBs allow the rest of the team to push up the field. Expecting huge things from Brillant this season.

On a non-related note, not thrilled at all with how Van Damme has played for LAG. I thought he looked awful the past two weeks.

i only saw the concacaf games vs santos....but its like he was somehow involved in all four goals conceded......and he got beaten by martin bravo ( hes a liga mx journey man that was never known for being the fastest) that was bad

Reactions: Kjbert

I know he pretty much nailed the playoff teams last year from his preview. His stuff is usually good, but he does tend to overplay some narratives at times.

I just think it's lazy to not consider all the roster changes and just say:
-meh, their defense sucks (or is new which means it sucks)
-Pirlo can't play the 6
-foreign managers suck

Or any other narrative that is repeated over again.

I can't ever tell if people actually make intelligent predictions of our season or if they're saying we're going to be teh worstest team evar because they don't like us.

Reactions: Fantazma and Konrad
I can't ever tell if people actually make intelligent predictions of our season or if they're saying we're going to be teh worstest team evar because they don't like us.

It's always going to be the latter. This team was hated the day it was announced.

I want to win a title asap so then they actually have a reason to not like us

Not to mention we fired "the chosen one" after one season. Add more fuel to the fire for all of these legacy MLS guys. Can't wait to see Viera prove them wrong this year!

Kreis is the "chosen one"?......:confused:

I know he pretty much nailed the playoff teams last year from his preview. His stuff is usually good, but he does tend to overplay some narratives at times.

I just think it's lazy to not consider all the roster changes and just say:
-meh, their defense sucks (or is new which means it sucks)
-Pirlo can't play the 6
-foreign managers suck

Or any other narrative that is repeated over again.
Kreis is the "chosen one"?......:confused:
To the Trolls, he's the Chosen One.... To the enlightened few....er, blue.... he's just the Anti-Kreis....

Two articles in 3 days from the Post.......think I'm gonna pass out!

http://nypost.com/2016/03/06/nycfc-preview-will-new-coach-engineer-2nd-season-rebound/

Oh, btw, as long as I'm at it, allow me to once again start a beg-a-thon for people to take a few minutes to drop a short email (in this case Brian Lewis) and let him know we appreciate the coverage.

As I mentioned last year, I know there are writers who love the game and would like to give it more coverage in their papers, but it's a struggle. The only way editors will get the message that there are a ton of soccer fans out there is to provide feedback. It only takes a couple of minutes. Just do it (with apologies to Nike ;) )

Last edited:
Nice, but I'm more glad we made the sports page:
http://nypost.com/2016/03/06/nycfc-outlasts-fire-in-opening-match-goal-spree/

I also wish the game story was more obviously longer than the Page 6 item, but news is news I guess.

Daily News is running an AP story online.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/s...nning-start-nycfc-tops-fire-article-1.2554765
So does the Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/sports/soccer/mls-roundup.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Reactions: Paul, Gene and JayH