NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

Not that I'm here to defend the Guardian, but the Drogba news didn't drop until after they published their preview. At the end of the season, I think Drogba will have been a net positive for Montreal, but not by a lot. I expect him to flip between infuriating and exciting. I do think the Impact are a playoff contender; they did pretty well before he even showed up last season, but they should drop somewhat in their point total. I can imagine us catching them this year if things break right.
I think they are contenders IF Drogba has a solid season, like he did when he arrived last year. Without his clutch goals, in what amounted to every game needing a result, Montreal would not have made the playoffs (I'm factoring that for every point they would have lost, another team is gaining, and therefore a 2x re-jiggering of the table). Like I mentioned about RB having a fall-off with their high-press for an entire year, there's no way Drogba scores (12g/14 games w/ 2 of the games subbing on for only 30 min, so 12 games + 60 min) at the same rate this year and carries Montreal on his back like superman. I fully expect them to have a drop off, especially if he's going to rebuff games on turf.

Read through the Guardian coverage, well done - agree that this is much better than most of the outlets, which basically are saying two things:
-Uh, I think their defense is still going to suck, they conceded so many goals last year and I don't know if it is going to be better.
-Pirlo's going to play as a lone 6? THAT CAN'T WORK IN MLS!
And then they throw NYCFC back into the dregs of the league (one portly talking head said they are "much improved" but then puts them 9th in the East - lower than last year).

Now, anything can happen in MLS, but just by an eye test on the roster changes they look promising:
-Got rid of most of the expansion draft dead weight (you know who they are) and those who remain are now backups
-A number of players are going to be with the team the whole season and the general consensus is that for players new to MLS in the midseason they are better in yr2 (Pirlo, Iraola, Mena, Lamps, etc)
-Lot more young players coming in (Matarrita, Bravo, etc) and others maturing (Shelton, Taylor, etc)
-A more flexible tactical system (4-3-3, giving Pirlo shuttlers, Bravo as CDM dropping as CB, etc)

I can't see how they are projected to be worse or the same as last year.

I also don't see RBNY running away with the East for several reasons (no Miazga, some players like Grella had career years and should regress to the mean, greater tactical awareness around the league to high press, heavy reliance on BWP, etc). But they will still be a playoff team.

I think Montreal is still a very solid team even without Drogba. He really is a perfect fit for that team, but don't forget about how badly Piatti and Oduro raped us at home last August without him - and that was with all 3 of our DPs. Also, we can only hope Brillant is anywhere near as good as Ciman.

I think Montreal is still a very solid team even without Drogba. He really is a perfect fit for that team, but don't forget about how badly Piatti and Oduro raped us at home last August without him - and that was with all 3 of our DPs. Also, we can only hope Brillant is anywhere near as good as Ciman.

what i remember from that game was the two really bad mistakes from hernandez that cost us the game.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I sat there in my brand new season ticket seats and watched the season get flushed down the drain. That was when I knew we weren't making the playoffs. We had no business losing to those guys.

that game I took my parents for the first time to see a game....that didnt turn out well.

I sat there in my brand new season ticket seats and watched the season get flushed down the drain. That was when I knew we weren't making the playoffs. We had no business losing to those guys.
Probably the biggest let-down performance of the season. And really, no one saw it coming. We were rolling at that point in the season.

Montreal looked good because we had the audacity to play a totally shit midfield. There is no way Pirlo & TMac can do anything when they're flanked by Grabavoy, Calle, and Jacobson. This was a game where Kreis was sending one of his I-am-the-emperor messages by keeping Mix & Poku on the bench and Lamps got his first run-out for the last 20 minutes. Once those three came on (with 30min to go), we outscored Montreal 2-1 after spotting them a 2-0 lead via the imbeciles...

We won the first two games against Montreal 3-1 & 2-1.... If Drogba is out when we play, I won't be worrying about a loss - it could happen, but I won't be fretting prior to kick-off. With Drogba, at worst it's a toss-up.

Reactions: Konrad and Kjbert
Pirlo Party in this mornings NY Post!

http://nypost.com/2016/03/04/why-andrea-pirlo-is-so-sure-hell-be-better-for-nycfc/

andrea.jpg

Andrea Pirlo joined New York City FC last summer as one of soccer’s biggest stars, but struggled through the season as one of MLS’s biggest disappointments. With NYCFC opening its season Sunday in Chicago, the 36-year-old midfielder, who could be key to their campaign, insists 2016 will be better.

I listened to the MIB special edition MLS podcast featuring interviews with our Frankie, Jordan Morris and Caleb Porter.
The Lampard segment was a non-event. It's clear they like him, and that's probably why they had him on as one of three MLS guests. And he comes off as a very likable sort, but there was no news, insights, or anything different than what he has said or been asked in every interview for the last 15 months or so, and there was no particular reason to feature him, especially as he was on last year and said all the same things. Literally the biggest point of interest for me was when he said he liked how Americans say "good morning" when passing on a sidewalk, or in an elevator, etc. Apparently people in England don't do that and he finds it quite refreshing. It's just another cultural difference but one I had never heard of before.
The Morris interview was as expected. He said Klinsmann urged him not to commit to Seattle without visiting Werder Bremen, which he did, and that Klinsmann supported his decision otherwise.
The Caleb Porter interview intrigued me the most. Lots of good stuff but I most enjoyed the discussion of tactics. He has switched from favoring a possession based approach to -- favoring nothing. He has his team emphasize possession in some games, counter in others, press high, drop off, attack flanks, and go narrow. He has them ready for all these depending on the opponent and will switch as necessary. Obviously all coaches/managers switch to some extent, but many prefer to favor one style as much as possible. He says he was inspired to this approach by Chelsea under Mourinho, and thinks Bayern has signaled it wants to move this flexible/pragmatic direction with Ancelotti. He also said part of this requires being humble and recognizing when the other team is better than yours, you might have to adjust your style to them rather than imposing your will on the game. I found it quite unusual and somewhat refreshing to hear a coach speak this way. I was quite impressed with him based on this interview.

I listened to the Pod as well and really liked the Lampard interview. Sure, there were no major revelations, but Frank was articulate and funny and very likable - those who are still mad at him for showing up late last season should listen at their own risk. For the rest of us, I think the pod is a must. It was fun to hear his views on Viera, training, youngsters like Poku and Shelton, living in NYC and the Club generally.

Reactions: Kjbert
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/04/armchair-analyst-2016-mls-season-preview-spectacular

MLS's Armchair Analyst with a full season review, and he thinks NYCFC is going to be a trainwreck, placing them far out of the playoff picture, basically saying they are going to be last. Take a wild guess why: Pirlo can't be a lone 6 and since MLS is a "counter-attacking league", you need an "energetic" D-mid like Dax McCarty. Sigh. Cue the necessary GIF of an instance where Pirlo didn't defend (its where he is yelling at Poku who tries to take on two players and coughs it up).

Maybe everyone is right and I am wrong, but I just don't see how having a full preseason and a coach that is putting a formation in place that plays to Pirlo's strengths - as he's played his whole career - is going to continue to create this trainwreck. NYCFC tried putting that "D-mid" next to him last year (Jacobson) and it didn't work because Pirlo wasn't good enough? Come on. It's almost as if Kreis said "ahh, eff it" and didn't think about how to use Pirlo's strength because he had to have Jacobson on the field all the time.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/04/armchair-analyst-2016-mls-season-preview-spectacular

MLS's Armchair Analyst with a full season review, and he thinks NYCFC is going to be a trainwreck, placing them far out of the playoff picture, basically saying they are going to be last. Take a wild guess why: Pirlo can't be a lone 6 and since MLS is a "counter-attacking league", you need an "energetic" D-mid like Dax McCarty. Sigh. Cue the necessary GIF of an instance where Pirlo didn't defend (its where he is yelling at Poku who tries to take on two players and coughs it up).

Maybe everyone is right and I am wrong, but I just don't see how having a full preseason and a coach that is putting a formation in place that plays to Pirlo's strengths - as he's played his whole career - is going to continue to create this trainwreck. NYCFC tried putting that "D-mid" next to him last year (Jacobson) and it didn't work because Pirlo wasn't good enough? Come on. It's almost as if Kreis said "ahh, eff it" and didn't think about how to use Pirlo's strength because he had to have Jacobson on the field all the time.

so hes basically saying we will be alot worse than last year?

Reactions: Kjbert

He's stuck on the tactical decision of playing Pirlo as the 6. That is exactly what he did last year. He wants to be the last one back when he gets the ball. The difference this year is the spacing of the CBs, FBs and CMs that all compress the field once we turn it over. I think that tactic will be the difference this year in limiting counter attacks. Not to mention not allowing Saunders to kick it right to an opposing forward on restarts.