NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2019

Grant Wahl had Don Garber on this week.

Lots of excuses on no stadium in nyc or Boston. Grant didn’t even mention us when discussing the ambitious teams.

Reactions: adam
Well Doyle and Warshaw don't think NYCFC will make the playoffs. I'm not a Dome fan, but I'd rather he prove them wrong and win Coach of the Year.
I’d be fine eating crow with your outcome, because fun wins are easier to keep my wife happy at matches and not annoyed from attending, but I haven’t seen any reason I shouldn’t expect to be eating sushi delivery instead.

Well Doyle and Warshaw don't think NYCFC will make the playoffs. I'm not a Dome fan, but I'd rather he prove them wrong and win Coach of the Year.
Can we keep this thread focused responses to the listed predictions? It will make it easier to scan everyone's answers later. If you like, I can change this to "2019 Prediction Quiz" or some such and you can start a general purpose prediction thread separately.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Done and done.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert

Yeah I mean their questions are fair ones. Is Dome a good coach? If he is, this roster might be the 2nd-best roster in the league behind Atlanta. If he's not, then they're probably right.

Yeah I mean their questions are fair ones. Is Dome a good coach? If he is, this roster might be the 2nd-best roster in the league behind Atlanta. If he's not, then they're probably right.

A good coach would have made a quick tactical change tonight when it was apparent NSC chested to our left.

Outside of a handball and one spectacular moment of brilliance from Mitrita, does anyone think we looked any different than the end of last season? I certainly don’t.

Reactions: Ulrich
A good coach would have made a quick tactical change tonight when it was apparent NSC chested to our left.

Outside of a handball and one spectacular moment of brilliance from Mitrita, does anyone think we looked any different than the end of last season? I certainly don’t.

It was pouring rain and the last game of preseason. The only thing I cared about was that everyone got minutes and they all got through it without injury. I thought we dominated that game, especially defensively. 0 SOG for Nashville all night.

Also, the game pretty much ended after 60 minutes. At that point it became a stroll in the park. Did we look great? No. Does it matter? No. I'll wait until Orlando to see how they look.

It was pouring rain and the last game of preseason. The only thing I cared about was that everyone got minutes and they all got through it without injury. I thought we dominated that game, especially defensively. 0 SOG for Nashville all night.

Also, the game pretty much ended after 60 minutes. At that point it became a stroll in the park. Did we look great? No. Does it matter? No. I'll wait until Orlando to see how they look.

I’ll give it next weekend then

Reactions: JayH

I think Dome's out of his depth, but there are as many reasons not to make a tactical change in a pre-season as there is to make it. As my son's soccer coach says to often frustrating frequency, sometimes you need to see if the boys can figure it out themselves.

I think Dome's out of his depth, but there are as many reasons not to make a tactical change in a pre-season as there is to make it. As my son's soccer coach says to often frustrating frequency, sometimes you need to see if the boys can figure it out themselves.

Which raises another question. Are some of these guys as good as we think they are? Ring isn’t a great passer but we love him. Maxi can’t finish a run and refuses to drive at defenders, but we love him. Tinnerholm is a mediocre defender, but we love him.

You get the idea.

Which raises another question. Are some of these guys as good as we think they are? Ring isn’t a great passer but we love him. Maxi can’t finish a run and refuses to drive at defenders, but we love him. Tinnerholm is a mediocre defender, but we love him.

You get the idea.
And MLS is a sub-tier soccer league and we love it.

Last year this roster - including everyone named in KB's post, had more than 2 PPG through 21 games and was sitting second in the entire league, and that included 7 games with no Villa, 3 more he didn't start because of injuries, and another he left after 28 minutes. It also included 8 games without Herrera, and another he left after 14 minutes.
You can argue Dome pulled the team down or that the team isn't very good, but it's hard to argue both given the record.

Last year this roster - including everyone named in KB's post, had more than 2 PPG through 21 games and was sitting second in the entire league, and that included 7 games with no Villa, 3 more he didn't start because of injuries, and another he left after 28 minutes. It also included 8 games without Herrera, and another he left after 14 minutes.
You can argue Dome pulled the team down or that the team isn't very good, but it's hard to argue both given the record.

Exactly. Either the players aren’t as good or the manager isn’t.

Maybe he’s the Catalan Mark Hughes

Reactions: Ulrich
You just proved K Kjbert point, and one I’ve been pushing for longer than just about anybody.... it’s one or the other, and signs don’t point to the group of players. Dome is barely mediocre and he cannot run these guys out with the same success that PV achieved with them.

I'll maintain that I think this season we have one of the best rosters in MLS. Depth for days up front and in the midfield, the best CB pairing in the league, and a top-5 MLS goalie.

I guess what I'm saying is, if they struggle I don't think it's the players.

I'll maintain that I think this season we have one of the best rosters in MLS. Depth for days up front and in the midfield, the best CB pairing in the league, and a top-5 MLS goalie.

I guess what I'm saying is, if they struggle I don't think it's the players.
This is exactly where I come out. By MLS standards, this roster is stacked, and we are deeper than ever. If this season spirals, it's substantially on Dome. I am probably more optimistic than most by believing that he's got better than a coin flip's chance at being an effective manager. I give him a clean slate and a handful or two of games to prove that his tactics and acumen click. Tails.