Nycfc Seeks To Claim Jack Harrison As Homegrown

So Harrison signed GA? Is there an agreement where if he signs GA, he can only be drafted by the team he wants? Kinda sorta (?) Leo Stolz?

Reactions: Kjbert
I was not talking about loans.

The answer is still no. If MCFC wants to sell a player to NYCFC they agree on a fee and he plays for NYCFC. MLS can not assign a player to any team they want even though the contract is held in the league office.

Yeah, I don't know. But, for all of the other potential rules skirting that has been floated around this board utilizing ou relationship with Man City, this one actually doesn't seem to break any current MLS rules. I get your point that MLS probably won't be happy about it, but unless they make something up on the spot (which isn't out of the question), I'm not sure there is a whole lot they can do about it.

Now, to throw something else out there....and this is something that I'm unsure on in regards to rules and what not....what if JH really wants to play for NYCFC and only NYCFC? Could Man City sign him, then sell him to us (not loan)????

Any team could sign him and sell him to NYCFC. The fee would be so much that I don't think it would be worth it. Better off just drafting the kid.

The answer is still no. If MCFC wants to sell a player to NYCFC they agree on a fee and he plays for NYCFC. MLS can not assign a player to any team they want even though the contract is held in the league office.
That is not correct. If a team has a discovery claim on the player, they get first rights at him, then it comes down to the allocation order if no team has a claim. If a club is willing to buy a player, that does not supersede the MLS distribution rules. As stated earlier, they do have some loophole which allows MCFC to loan us a certain amount of players, but they can't sign and sell.

That is not correct. If a team has a discovery claim on the player, they get first rights at him, then it comes down to the allocation order if no team has a claim. If a club is willing to buy a player, that does not supersede the MLS distribution rules. As stated earlier, they do have some loophole which allows MCFC to loan us a certain amount of players, but they can't sign and sell.
Wrong - Allocation order is only for certain US National Team players and foreign players of high quality - there is a distinctive list that is published. Those not on the list are subject to the discovery process; allocation order does not govern a European college freshman.

edit: let me rephrase.... a European college freshman would not be important enough to warrant a spot on the allocation list. Even if the former top HS player.

Last edited:
Player is still has to be sold to MLS not NYCFC. Don Garber can tell NYCFC to gtfo and nix whatever shady transfer deal they are trying to do.

Player is still has to be sold to MLS not NYCFC. Don Garber can tell NYCFC to gtfo and nix whatever shady transfer deal they are trying to do.

That's a different argument. The contract may not be approved by the BOG (nothing is Don Garber's call) if they thought MCFC and NYCFC were trying to circumvent the rules but that's different than your contention that MLS can put the player on whatever team it wishes. It would never happen. He was a MCFC player - if the league ever decided to put a player either sold or loaned to a team that the foreign club didn't approve not only would the league lose credibility they would probably get sued.

To the original question: For MCFC to sign JH and sell him to NYCFC

1. JH would have to play/train at least 6 months (a period between transfer windows) at Man City.
2. Both parties would have to agree to the fee and the fee must be seen as fair (probably $400k to $700K to appease the BOG)
3. That transfer fee is applied to NYCFC's cap so NYCFC has to have room in the salary budget in July.

In my opinion, it's much easier to tell the kid to sign a Generation Deal and draft him.

Reactions: FootyLovin and Sabo
That's a different argument. The contract may not be approved by the BOG (nothing is Don Garber's call) if they thought MCFC and NYCFC were trying to circumvent the rules but that's different than your contention that MLS can put the player on whatever team it wishes. It would never happen. He was a MCFC player - if the league ever decided to put a player either sold or loaned to a team that the foreign club didn't approve not only would the league lose credibility they would probably get sued.

1. JH would have to play/train at least 6 months (a period between transfer windows) at Man City.
2. Both parties would have to agree to the fee and the fee must be seen as fair (probably $400k to $700K to appease the BOG)
3. That transfer fee is applied to NYCFC's cap so NYCFC has to have room in the salary budget in July.

In my opinion, it's much easier to tell the kid to sign a Generation Deal and draft him.
Maybe my words were imprecise but mls is the gatekeeper. If they want someone to go somewhere, they will go there. If they don't like a deal, they will squash it.

What's the difference between Generation Adidas and Homegrown Player when it comes to salary and roster regulations?

I'm a bit confused about your item #1 - as far as I can tell, there is no 6-month rule regarding the loaning of a player after initial signing. Tons of clubs sign and subsequently loan all the time.

Please point out the section in this document: Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players

What's the difference between Generation Adidas and Homegrown Player when it comes to salary and roster regulations?

Pretty sure(not positive) the league fronts the GA salaries whereas teams pay the HGP

Pretty sure(not positive) the league fronts the GA salaries whereas teams pay the HGP
HGP signings are signed to GA contracts. The difference is whether any team can draft the player but HGP and GA are the same for salary and roster regs.

Reactions: Paul and FootyLovin
I'm a bit confused about your item #1 - as far as I can tell, there is no 6-month rule regarding the loaning of a player after initial signing. Tons of clubs sign and subsequently loan all the time.

Please point out the section in this document: Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players
I think G Gazza_55 is discussing a sign and sell. You are quoting rules on a sign and loan. I suspect the rules differ.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I'm guessing that since SBI was wrong (what else is new) about when the GA class is being unveiled (Monday came and went), that MLS is having a rather difficult time getting these kids to agree to the contracts ??? Really hoping JH is giving them the finger and demanding that he lands with NYCFC.

This really should prove that MLS needs to revamp its path to young players entering the league. All its doing is hurting the league by not having these players play in the MLS.