NYCFC Sign Maxime Chanot

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
I hope this means Hernandez is gone for good. Maxime is the perfect age to become our backline stalwart. In any case, he's bound to be an upgrade over Hernandez, who is too expensive for what he offers. I'd rather keep Mena, Brillant & White (as last resort option) to go along with MC.

Wouldn't Mena be the one to go? He's much more expensive than Hernandez and has an international spot

Mena is significantly more talented, 6-7 years younger, and his cap hit is only ~$20k more.

http://www.spotrac.com/mls/new-york-city-fc/

I don't know that you could objectively say he is more talented. For the better part of two seasons, he's been a back-up to Hernandez. He takes up an international spot. And he costs $20k more. If she was everything, Bravo would start over Iraola

Reactions: sbrylski
I don't know that you could objectively say he is more talented. For the better part of two seasons, he's been a back-up to Hernandez. He takes up an international spot. And he costs $20k more. If she was everything, Bravo would start over Iraola
First, I dispute your premise that JH starting more regularly is dispositive (would you think Lopez is more talented than Mix, for instance). But I'll give it to you because I don't think it changes the point.

He's no worse than Hernandez at this exact moment, as evidenced by the on-field results, and he's had to adjust to a new country, new league and limited run-out. He doesn't get abused for power and pace like Hernandez. Hernandez has played 11 years in this league. He is what he is at this point, and I don't think it's good enough. I think Mena has tools, and I would prefer to see us hang on to his raw ability.

Either one is over $200k cap hit for what is a squad defender. I'll take the one who has potential to be more than that rather than the one who is on the decline and not a very high level to begin with.

ETA TL;DR: I'll take a $20k option on a guy with potentially best 11 physical ability who hasn't had a whole lot of time yet. What else are we going to do with $20k? Give Slosh another raise?

Last edited:
No. You could say the results are different. Mena gives me a heart attack when he is anywhere near the ball. Much like Saunders. He also is what he is at this point.

But i will agree we could upgrade on both. I'll give you that. But Mena has had opportunities. He stinks

I could see holding on to Mena, especially if Vieira likes to go 5-3-2, with 3 center backs when we are trying to hold the lead.

(First time poster, long time follower of this forum, decided to break the ice! Hello everyone :))
For any other lurkers out there, this is the way to do it.

I don't like it when people create new threads just to say hi, they've joined the forum. Establish yourself with good posts like this. You will be welcomed. Then start whatever thread you want.

And with that, welcome Gotham Blues.

Thanks! I can see Chanot being our Euro version of Geoff Cameron from the you tube vids posted. Mendoza has seen significantly less playing time since Harrison's breakout, and Jack seems to always go the full 90. I can see Mendoza being the international spot we need amidst the recent rumors of him wanting an exit. Although I wish Mendoza would stay, he has much more skill on the ball than Shelton coming on to bring the counter attack balls to the corner late in the game.

For any other lurkers out there, this is the way to do it.

I don't like it when people create new threads just to say hi, they've joined the forum. Establish yourself with good posts like this. You will be welcomed. Then start whatever thread you want.

It also minimizes the temptation to haze for people like me. Or just me. Either way.

Even better, don't mention it's your first post, and don't post anything contentious until rack up a couple of hundred. Then, you'll be integrated before anyone notices you're new, at which point you're all set.

The more you know 'n shit.

Reactions: adam
No. You could say the results are different. Mena gives me a heart attack when he is anywhere near the ball. Much like Saunders. He also is what he is at this point.

But i will agree we could upgrade on both. I'll give you that. But Mena has had opportunities. He stinks
I actually don't feel the same about Mena. I think he's strong on the ball. It's his misplaced passes that lead to trouble. That's why I think it's not a terminal issue.

I actually don't feel the same about Mena. I think he's strong on the ball. It's his misplaced passes that lead to trouble. That's why I think it's not a terminal issue.
His misplaced passes are half because he misplaces them and half because nobody but Pirlo is trying to show for him.

Reactions: thesauerchise
I don't think we need to acquire an international spot. Here's why...

1) Steven Mendoza wants to leave NYCFC, so in the meantime while we're in negotiations to send him away...
2) We put him on the Disabled List (he's already "injured") so his international spot doesn't count against us...

If a player on a club’s Senior Roster is put on the Disabled List, the club may receive roster relief (i.e. an open roster slot). The club will not receive budget relief for that player and will be responsible for the injured player’s full salary budget charge. Only clubs that have or can create extra salary budget space will be able to temporarily replace players on the Disabled List. A club must have priority over any replacement player it adds (Discovery, Right of First Refusal, etc.)

An international player occupying an international slot who is added to the Disabled List may be replaced with an international player.

Does Hernandez not give you a heart attack on the ball?

I'm not saying Mena has been great on the ball, but Hernandez is god awful on it.

Reactions: Ulrich