NYCFC Sign Maxime Chanot

This is surely unsustainable.

We've got to the point where we're even suggesting that we're signing centre-backs based on the fact they speak French. I mean, that's a ridiculous theory, but it speaks volumes.

After seeing the video clips, I'm hoping we're signing him because he's a CB with an eye for through-balls that will make Pirlo blush. We've needed someone to play out of the back, and I just watched this guy skip the entire midfield with one pass over and over for like 10 minutes. Put Harrison and Villa on the end of those passes, and we're going to cause problems for any team. I'm just hoping that is the case and the language thing is just an added benefit.

I also noticed it's his movement with the ball that opens up the space for those passes. I've watched Hernandez or Brillant (forget about Mena) just walk the ball straight forward, look for an opening, not see one, and go back to Saunders so many times. This guy constantly makes diagonal runs with the ball before the pressure comes, which drags that pressure to one side, and opens up a lane. I know those videos only show the good, but if you can do it against Italy, you can do it against Chicago.

After seeing the video clips, I'm hoping we're signing him because he's a CB with an eye for through-balls that will make Pirlo blush. We've needed someone to play out of the back, and I just watched this guy skip the entire midfield with one pass over and over for like 10 minutes. Put Harrison and Villa on the end of those passes, and we're going to cause problems for any team. I'm just hoping that is the case and the language thing is just an added benefit.
yea his highlight reel looked to be all through balls. reminds me of the pass rj allen gave two times this season to spring villa. I'd like more of that. Though his through balls alot of times go to the pirlo/lampard positions and tend to get bottled up quick by pressure on their backs. For a possession orientated team what are we going to get? Pass to pirlo, pass back to matta pass back to chanot pass to pirlo again? Through balls are great but the final third is where they get the most bang for the buck. hopefully this isn't the guys only trick because we need a marshal in the CB position and i didn't see that in his highlight reel, just a bunch of passes. And one time he gets himself in the box by continuing his run. That is not what I want my CB to be doing.

edit:
i use through ball liberally there. his passes aren't really through balls in the midfield in so much as it gets through the forwards and advanced midfielders, but they aren't leading passes to be run on too.

I do see value in these passes as a way to beat a very hard press, that teams try to employ on our back line. I just hope he has some defensive prowess too. my 2 cents.

Reactions: Kjbert and ktdNYCFC
I appreciate the way CFG has gone about things, all things considered. It's not easy to just come into this league and compete, and 1.5 years into it, we're sitting atop the Eastern Conference. We really didn't have much of a choice with filling out our roster; it's great to get all of these US guys, but in order to hit the ground running, we were going to need to fill things out with the best available talent, and it just so happened the easiest way of going about that was with international spots. Once we have US guys, etc., those INT spots will be valuable and we can slowly start selling them while developing our academy and picking smartly in the draft.

yea his highlight reel looked to be all through balls. reminds me of the pass rj allen gave two times this season to spring villa. I'd like more of that. Though his through balls alot of times go to the pirlo/lampard positions and tend to get bottled up quick by pressure on their backs. For a possession orientated team what are we going to get? Pass to pirlo, pass back to matta pass back to chanot pass to pirlo again? Through balls are great but the final third is where they get the most bang for the buck. hopefully this isn't the guys only trick because we need a marshal in the CB position and i didn't see that in his highlight reel, just a bunch of passes. And one time he gets himself in the box by continuing his run. That is not what I want my CB to be doing.

edit:
i use through ball liberally there. his passes aren't really through balls in the midfield in so much as it gets through the forwards and advanced midfielders, but they aren't leading passes to be run on too.

I do see value in these passes as a way to beat a very hard press, that teams try to employ on our back line. I just hope he has some defensive prowess too. my 2 cents.

Totally agree. I think the highlight reel was just highlighting his passes for the most part. And that run into the box was hilarious - if anything, he will be exciting. You'll never in a million years see Brillant make a run like that. I'm also thinking he could be a really good fit in Iraola's spot, cleaning up in front of the 2 CBs, and getting the ball out to Pirlo to Villa. Who knows. All aboard the hype train.

Reactions: MumonA
I appreciate the way CFG has gone about things, all things considered. It's not easy to just come into this league and compete, and 1.5 years into it, we're sitting atop the Eastern Conference. We really didn't have much of a choice with filling out our roster; it's great to get all of these US guys, but in order to hit the ground running, we were going to need to fill things out with the best available talent, and it just so happened the easiest way of going about that was with international spots. Once we have US guys, etc., those INT spots will be valuable and we can slowly start selling them while developing our academy and picking smartly in the draft.

Also to CFGs credit, their third "major" purchase was a USMNT player. It's just unfortunate it didn't work out and Mix seems one foot out the door. If Mix had worked out brilliantly, this line of argument would be completely dead.

I'm sure it's not their last attempt to roster a USMNT player. Or better yet, produce them.

So has it occurred to anybody else that the other 99.9% of his passes that didn't make the highlight real all ended up in the 25th row?

I kid I kid....

Alright, by all accounts it's a done deal. I assume NYCFC is waiting on acquiring (or freeing up) an international roster spot before making it official, or they might even do it at the same time.

Maybe tomorrow when the team has an open practice we'll see if he's there. But there you have it. It's 99.9% complete. I won't say it's done, especially after what happened with Teixeira, but I'd put good money on seeing him with a NYCFC jersey pretty soon.

Here's hoping and praying!

My God, to see the heads of all those internet poseurs explode should NYCFC win some sort of hardware this year would be priceless.

Don't you know that NYCFC is Man City Lite and the next Chivas USA? Don't you know that a foreign coach couldn't possibly understand how soccer works here? Er, I mean football. Forza Red Bulls lads! I only watch games for the potential of seeing Pirlo die of old age on the field. Let's go call someone in a blue shirt a "puto" and throw down!

Alright, by all accounts it's a done deal. I assume NYCFC is waiting on acquiring (or freeing up) an international roster spot before making it official, or they might even do it at the same time.

Maybe tomorrow when the team has an open practice we'll see if he's there. But there you have it. It's 99.9% complete. I won't say it's done, especially after what happened with Teixeira, but I'd put good money on seeing him with a NYCFC jersey pretty soon.

This seems a bit further along than Teixiera was.

Thanks for staying on this. I'm surprised theres little fanfare over this, I've been waiting weeks for summer transfer news and think we nailed basically our biggest need with our first transfer.

and the bloggers want you to stop?...lol no man you keep getting them details and bits like you do.