Nycfc V Cosmos Postgame & Motm

doctorhoosier doctorhoosier and I agree. Kreis is going to look terrible because they players he has are terrible. And the players he has are terrible because we are an expansion side who filled out the corners of our roster drafting from a pool of terrible players.

Kreis has made mistakes this year, yes. But they're magnified x100 because of our roster limitations.

I can't roll my eyes any harder at this post.
I can't roll my eyes any harder at your excuse making. Kreis shit the bed tonight. You want to say he's the best we can do? Fine. But that doesn't absolve him from doing the absolute most mouth breathing dumbfuck substitutions imaginable.

Bullshit. You're just wrong here, dude.

Within context, each of Kreis' moves tonight were ones that I was totally comfortable with. You don't plan for penalties up 2-1 in the 86th because you trust your damn players to win you the game. You guys would be torching him for leaving on Poku, too, if he had left him on for the equalizer, anyway.

If you were actually watching the game, you'd have noticed Poku was worn out at the end of the game. In the off-chance that the game *did* go to extra time, Poku wouldn't have any legs left. So taking him off rather than Mullins was the right move, as Mullins is far more fit than Poku is at this stage in his career.

And dear god - if you can't see Poku's stamina concerns, you're blind. He was shot by the 75th.

I didn't love bringing Grabavoy on due to size limitations, but we don't have another midfielder he could have brought on with defensive discipline. It was either Grabavoy or Tommy Mcnamara - that's about all that was on the bench. It totally made sense to shut it down in the 86th - it's done so often because it usually works.

Taking Hernandez off made sense as well - due to his lack of size, he struggles with crosses, and that was the Cosmos entire gameplan in the second half. Allen continued to get skinned, so you try to put pressure on the ball with Wingert at outside back. Unfortunately, though, that means you have to bring on Kwame, who, well, blows fucking goats.

This game flipped on a missed Alvarez penalty that was just mishit. If that shot's two inches lower, we're celebrating a huge win.

You're just wrong here, dude. A few calls backfired due to a lack of depth. If we have a normal roster (or just a little more luck), we're celebrating a big win in 90.

1) A coaches job should be to plan for the unexpected. Especially with a team like our's that has a history of conceding late equalizing goals. This is a cup game that he knew damn well would go to penalties with a tie. We didnt dominate the game, the cosmos pushed hard. Seeing a late equalizer with our team WAS VERY CONCEIVABLE. That said having some basic strategy for a PK scenario isnt a massive undertaking. A prepared coach would of had this covered.

2) Plenty of players on that pitch were just as beat as Poku. He was still making runs, good passes, maintaining possession, and moving the ball forward into the 80's. No one else was doing that. Grabavoy could do none of these things. Its no coincidence we conceded as soon as Poku was subbed off. In our case we have shit defense so we need to cover the gaps with our marginally better offense. We did the opposite. I saw more of Poku than anyone. All these 90 minute players we run with (Jacobson Im looking at you) are absolute ghosts.

3) Why was a barely played midfielder taking this critical PK? Has anyone answered that? Sure "if" this happened and "if" that happened, I and others would of felt different. But thats irrelevant. What's important is what DID happen. And we wasted our PK. Giving it to Alvarez was fucking stupid. We paid for it.

4) Hernandez is easily our best defender. Unless there was injury no sense to take him off. The crosses that he supposedly "struggled with" (We didnt concede a goal until AFTER hernandez was subbed off...so who was struggling??) were due to our full backs being shit, not our 2 CBs who did a good job and work well together (Facey and Hernandez)

So in conclusion im not wrong. You are and so is Kreis. This isnt rocket science. He made dumb moves and decisions as always but his fanclub will go to great lengths to find whatever excuse there is. Kreis is a lousy coach plain and simple.

Anyone who thinks completely gutting and rearranging your defense in the middle of a tight game away from home is a good strategy is fucking blind. Especially when the replacements are several notches lower in quality.

I appreciate you keeping it civil though.

Last edited:
I can't roll my eyes any harder at your excuse making. Kreis shit the bed tonight. You want to say he's the best we can do? Fine. But that doesn't absolve him from doing the absolute most mouth breathing dumbfuck substitutions imaginable.
Please tell me how you would have played that differently, Midas. I'd love to hear it. They were logical subs considering the context - it's only in hindsight that they're worthy of critique.

The fact that we were in that match at all was criminal. The Cosmos were the better team most of the night and are easily more talented than we are. I don't know what the hell you all expected.

People like to rest this on the manager, but it's just the reality of being an expansion side. Jason Kreis is the only thing keeping this trainwreck of a season from being the Hindenberg.

1) A coaches job should be to plan for the unexpected. Especially with a team like our's that has a history of conceding late equalizing goals. This is a cup game that he knew damn well would go to penalties with a tie. We didnt dominate the game, the cosmos pushed hard. Seeing a late equalizer with our team WAS VERY CONCEIVABLE. That said having some basic strategy for a PK scenario isnt a massive undertaking. A prepared coach would of had this covered.
If your players do the job that they're paid to do, you win that in regulation. No manager worth their salt is going to think "But I need him for penalties" up 2-1 in the 86th. Bruce Arena, Sigi Schmidt, Bob Bradley - none of them would think that. You play to win the game in regulation. Period. I'm sorry, but that's not really negotiable.

2) Plenty of players on that pitch were just as beat as Poku. He was still making runs, good passes, maintaining possession, and moving the ball forward into the 80's. No one else was doing that. Grabavoy could do none of these things. Its no coincidence we conceded as soon as Poku was subbed off. In our case we have shit defense so we need to cover the gaps with our marginally better offense. We did the opposite. I saw more of Poku than anyone. All these 90 minute players we run with (Jacobson Im looking at you) are absolute ghosts.
Agree to disagree. However, it absolutely is coincidence that we gave up a goal when Poku went off - while Poku tracks back in defense, his defensive positioning is the weakest part of his game right now. His sub had little to do with giving up the equalizer - it's not like he would have been back to defend on that chance anyway.

If you're arguing that the lack of offensive pressure is what prodded the goal scoring opportunity for the Cosmos, I also don't agree with that a bit. You're not playing open soccer up 2-1 in the 86th - you're trying to strangle the game. That's the dominant tactic because it's way easier to get burned on the counter in open play than it is defending like hell with numbers. If we had defenders worth a damn, that game was over in regulation. Poku had nothing to do with it, and the change was actually made in effort to shield our bad defenders. I can't criticize that.

3) Why was a barely played midfielder taking this critical PK? Has anyone answered that? Sure "if" this happened and "if" that happened, I and others would of felt different. But thats irrelevant. What's important is what DID happen. And we wasted our PK. Giving it to Alvarez was fucking stupid. We paid for it.
Alvarez is going to hit that shot 9 times out of 10. It was a freak accident - he sent the keeper the wrong way and just hit it too high. You're only second guessing that one in hind-sight. And the other thing to note is that we clearly don't have many great penalty takers on the roster, as PKs showed.

4) Hernandez is easily our best defender. Unless there was injury no sense to take him off. The crosses that he supposedly "struggled with" (We didnt concede a goal until AFTER hernandez was subbed off...so who was struggling??) were due to our full backs being shit, not our 2 CBs who did a good job and work well together (Facey and Hernandez)
Can't believe I'm saying this, but no. It's Shay Facey, and it's not particularly close. Hernandez is a fine player, but he's also very old and has played a lot of minutes. You're up 2-0, I get trying to save his legs for the weekend while putting in a taller, trusted defender.

So in conclusion im not wrong. You are and so is Kreis.
We're clearly not ever going to agree on this.

This isnt rocket science. He made dumb moves and decisions as always but his fanclub will go to great lengths to find whatever excuse there is. Kreis is a lousy coach plain and simple.
This is so wrong that I'm not going to justify it with a response.

Have a good evening.

Last edited:
the only logical thing to put watson siriboe in for, is to mark mads stokellien whos bigger than facey/hernandez. ok, i understand that. but watson siriboe ended up marking mkosana who is fast and decently strong and in turn put watson to sleep on the second goal...

grababavoy for "energy" late in the game? he looked like he played 120 before even coming on.

wingert, unfortunately had the worst game of his life. has been better but i mean, he sucked theres no other way to put it.

a coach is supposed to put players to pick up the pace/hold the team together late. these guys... just turned it all to shit.

why not play 5 in the back with 10 minutes left? i have no idea.

Also, Did anyone else even notice how we were getting run roughshod until Kreis finally woke the fuck up and moved Mix to the middle? The first 15-20 minutes (maybe more, it seemed like an hour), we couldn't get the ball out of our own half due to the absolutely inexcusable decision to play Mix on the left with Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dick in the center of the park (that's Ballouchy and Jacobson for those who don't speak righteous indignation).

Then, for some odd reason, Jacobsen yet again starts putting himself as the highest mid when we're trying to defend a lead. What a shit show.

Alvarez was shot at 30 minutes. No one in the supporter section wanted him to take that PK. He did exactly what you'd expect someone to do when their legs were gone.

You can't watch a coach make literally the worst sub possible in the situation(Wingert in at CB) and then say it's not his fault because he doesn't have enough good players. He had enough good players to win that given that Poku got us a two goal lead. He burned TWO SUBS GETTING HIS BOY WINGERT ON THE FIELD. The first for him and the second because it was obvious he was good for a goal per Cosmo' trip to the final third so long as he was at CB. He had to try to cover his ass at that point at bring in KWS - which was at least an improvement, but should have been the sub to begin with if you are dead set on subbing a CB (I would not have been, as their work was done. Park the fucking bus, hide the keys, murder the driver).

Honestly, he didn't rest our most important players, and he didn't get a win. Basically, he did everything possible to stick his dick into his own ass except commit a two footed tackle on Mix.

Adding this: there you go, D_RoyJenkins

Last edited:
the only logical thing to put watson siriboe in for, is to mark mads stokellien whos bigger than facey/hernandez. ok, i understand that. but watson siriboe ended up marking mkosana who is fast and decently strong and in turn put watson to sleep on the second goal...

grababavoy for "energy" late in the game? he looked like he played 120 before even coming on.

wingert, unfortunately had the worst game of his life. has been better but i mean, he sucked theres no other way to put it.

a coach is supposed to put players to pick up the pace/hold the team together late. these guys... just turned it all to shit.

why not play 5 in the back with 10 minutes left? i have no idea.
Haha. Nailed it on Grabavoy. I was thinking "he's going to freshen it up with a guy who hasn't been fresh since Justin Timberlake had a hit."

You can't watch a coach make literally the worst sub possible in the situation(Wingert in at CB) and then say it's not his fault because he doesn't have enough good players. He had enough good players to win that given that Poku got us a two goal lead. He burned TWO SUBS GETTING HIS BOY WINGERT ON THE FIELD. The first for him and the second because it was obvious he was good for a goal per Cosmo' trip to the final third so long as he was at CB. He had to try to cover his ass at that point at bring in KWS - which was at least an improvement, but should have been the sub to begin with if you are dead set on subbing a CB (I would not have been, as their work was done. Park the fucking bus, hide the keys, murder the driver).
Let's look at the sub options tonight that could have helped us up 2-0 trying to kill the game, shall we?

On the bench, we had Saunders, Wingert, Watson-Siriboe, Matt Dunn, Ned Grabavoy, Tommy McNamara, and David Villa (supposedly, but there was no chance he played tonight.)

Now keep in mind the context. You're up 2-0 and under all kinds of pressure with tired defenders. You're not pushing for another goal, because the Cosmos have come close to skinning you on the counter several times already.

Who do you bring on?
  • Dunn - No friggin' chance. He hasn't played at all for us this year, and he's not noted for his strength in defense, anyway.
  • McNamara - Played over the weekend, and is ideally a #10. So he doesn't help you in defense.
  • Villa - A striker, so he gives you nothing in defense. Unless you're pushing for another goal, which we can pretty much accept wasn't the case.
  • Saunders - You're not spending a sub on a keeper.

So that leaves:
  • Grabavoy
  • Wingert
  • KWS
You make the three subs partially to kill time and partially to bring fresh legs to combat the Cosmos' speed. You can't take them home with you. You guys would be killing him, too, if we gave up a late equalizer with subs in his pocket.

So your only other option, other than what happened, is to push for another goal. And if 2-0 with 30 minutes to go isn't a comfortable lead, we've got way, way bigger problems than just *coaching*.

So I'm sorry, Midas, but this is a personnel issue and absolutely not a coaching issue today. There weren't any subs that made sense offensively, and unfortunately, KWS sucks and Wingert just didn't have it today.

doctorhoosier doctorhoosier

1)Again we are a team that has tied more games than anything. We have a history of letting in late goals. This game cannot end in a tie. The ONE thing Kreis should of been preparing for was PKs. Arguing otherwise is plain stupid.

2)Facey and Hernandez are both good defenders. Trying to argue which one is better was not my point or worth arguing about as I feel they are both the best we have in our back line. With that said you completely ignoring my real point which was the substitution. Not Facey vs Hernandez. We had to waste 2 substitutions gutting the back line that was doing its job well up until that point.(no goals on us yet) We got a worse backline in the tradeoff, we tired out our offensive players (for this game and the next) and coudlnt bring in new legs to push things forward because we wasted our subs on moving everything around in the back 4.

3)Why couldnt someone like Mix take the PK? Mullins? Hell Ballouchy? They have all scored in this league and team very recently. All play a more forward role than Alvarez with more playing time on the team. Your still not answering WHY he took the PK. Who cares that statistically speaking he would make that most of the time. Again all your doing is arguing hypothetical.

4)Again we have notoriously weak defense. We dont improve on that by making it even worse with substitutions. We take advantage of our marginally better offense. Or at least move to a 5 man back line. Kreis did neither. He simply swapped our better defenders for worse defenders, and in doing so we ended up conceding 2 goals.

5)Stop saying your not going to justify things with a response or virtually rolling your eyes. Its getting old. Also cut all the hypothetical nonsense. "It would of gone in 9/10 times we have bad luck!!" nonsense. If your going to bring up Bruce Arena, Sigi Schmidt, and Bob Bradley then lets be fair and say none of them would talk about luck when they lose a game...or wind direction. (Kreis has done both)

Last edited:
Let's look at the sub options tonight that could have helped us up 2-0 trying to kill the game, shall we?

On the bench, we had Saunders, Wingert, Watson-Siriboe, Matt Dunn, Ned Grabavoy, Tommy McNamara, and David Villa (supposedly, but there was no chance he played tonight.)

Now keep in mind the context. You're up 2-0 and under all kinds of pressure with tired defenders. You're not pushing for another goal, because the Cosmos have come close to skinning you on the counter several times already.

Who do you bring on?
  • Dunn - No friggin' chance. He hasn't played at all for us this year, and he's not noted for his strength in defense, anyway.
  • McNamara - Played over the weekend, and is ideally a #10. So he doesn't help you in defense.
  • Villa - A striker, so he gives you nothing in defense. Unless you're pushing for another goal, which we can pretty much accept wasn't the case.
  • Saunders - You're not spending a sub on a keeper.

So that leaves:
  • Grabavoy
  • Wingert
  • KWS
You make the three subs partially to kill time and partially to bring fresh legs to combat the Cosmos' speed. You can't take them home with you. You guys would be killing him, too, if we gave up a late equalizer with subs in his pocket.

So your only other option, other than what happened, is to push for another goal. And if 2-0 with 30 minutes to go isn't a comfortable lead, we've got way, way bigger problems than just *coaching*.

So I'm sorry, Midas, but this is a personnel issue and absolutely not a coaching issue today. There weren't any subs that made sense offensively, and unfortunately, KWS sucks and Wingert just didn't have it today.

1) Dunn has played for us
2) Why did we need help in defense when our starting back 4 was preventing any goals up until the defensive subs? We conceded AFTER the subs. If anything we needed keep the pressure on and ensure our forward focused players (Mix, Poku, Mullins) got rest for Toronto.
3) Villa and MacNamara would of been much better subs.