Nycfc V Redbulls Postmatch

I think a lot of the problem is our supporters sit in literally the worst place for sound in the whole stadium.

And it's hard to shout or sing when you're praying you won't give up a goal all the time.
I could agree to an extent because when the RB started pushing and got the equalizer all I heard were red bulls fans and it had me wondering if I was at Red Bull Stadium and not YS also it doesn't matter if you're up 4-0 or down 3-1, NYCFC fans need that Liverpool mentality as in where we never shut the fuck up in pushing our team by singings chanting everything so they hear that we're behind them.

Reactions: Kubah
I'm sorry, but that's not at all the case.

It takes years to build a competent MLS squad. Look at Seattle. Look at the LA Galaxy. You think they built that overnight?

You can disagree all you want. Go for it. But it's a fucking expansion team, dude. You should have known what you signed up for. The first few years are about building a foundation in fan support and infrastructure. In MLS in particular, you need several drafts, waiver periods, and summer transfer windows to actually put together a team that is capable of winning at the top level.

I fully expect that this club is going to move the needle in MLS for big-time soccer. But that'll take a couple years. Not a single summer transfer window, and especially not when you're bringing in two old players here to sell tickets, more than win games.

You can't win titles simply by buying talent in MLS. Bob Kraft and his like have made sure of that. But you can funnel money into infrastructure that leads to winning soccer. We're playing a long game here, because you can't win in MLS any other way.

You can definitely buy a winning team in MLS, especially if you're doing it with some of the best talent in the world. MLS is structured so that even a mediocre team can make it all the way. Being an expansion team isn't an excuse. Sounders won the Open Cup and made the playoffs in their first season.

I don't think anyone expected them to honestly win the MLS cup the first season, but A LOT of us expected much better than this. We're one of the worst teams in the entire league. Also, no other team in the history of MLS has had players like Villa, Lampard and Pirlo in their first season. They are some of the best players to ever play the game, and on a level much higher than MLS.

Using the excuse that it's an expansion team after these three are all on the field for NYCFC is just ridiculous. If they can't muster a respectable second half of the season, then there are bigger issues than player talent.

You can definitely buy a winning team in MLS, especially if you're doing it with some of the best talent in the world. MLS is structured so that even a mediocre team can make it all the way. Being an expansion team isn't an excuse. Sounders won the Open Cup and made the playoffs in their first season.

I don't think anyone expected them to honestly win the MLS cup the first season, but A LOT of us expected much better than this. We're one of the worst teams in the entire league. Also, no other team in the history of MLS has had players like Villa, Lampard and Pirlo in their first season. They are some of the best players to ever play the game, and on a level much higher than MLS.

Using the excuse that it's an expansion team after these three are all on the field for NYCFC is just ridiculous. If they can't muster a respectable second half of the season, then there are bigger issues than player talent.
The Sounders made the jump from another league. They didn't build from scratch, like we've had to.

And you can put Ronaldo and Messi up top, but if they're not getting service or defense, that team's going to suck. I'm sorry, but we don't have the horses. There's talent in the first four spots on the team sheet, but the team totally lacks depth, has had issues with injuries, and is starting guys who would barely make the bench for most MLS clubs.

Reactions: Gene and PVieira21
CFG has all the money in the world, buy the Yankees for $10bn and buy the stadium from the city. Would solve all of our problems.

Reactions: FootyLovin
The Sounders made the jump from another league. They didn't build from scratch, like we've had to.

And you can put Ronaldo and Messi up top, but if they're not getting service or defense, that team's going to suck. I'm sorry, but we don't have the horses. There's talent in the first four spots on the team sheet, but the team totally lacks depth, has had issues with injuries, and is starting guys who would barely make the bench for most MLS clubs.

Agreed. Success doesn't come over night and people on the forums saying we can buy a winning team don't know what building a team means. Just because we're backed by billionaires doesn't mean they're going to build us a team we can win overnight. NYCFC was built in the image of not only competing in the MLS but at the same time youngsters from MCFC coming over and getting game time. At this point City will continue to send us some U21 elite youth players and tbh I won't mind one bit becasue those youngsters can unseat most of those "Starting 11 players" who wouldn't make the bench in most NASL teams much less MLS.

Last edited:

Well, I agree with most of this. Our team is filled with players who shouldn't be anywhere near an MLS bench, let alone a starting 11. But a few things:

- I know the team was limited to a small pool of players, most of which weren't any good. BUT, could it be that bad decisions were made in those draft? I don't know. Maybe a better group of players could have been had. Maybe Reyna and Kreis just aren't any good. Maybe it is true that Kreis picked his boys from RSL. To me, it seems like Villa, Lampard and Pirlo deals were brokered by CFG, not NYCFC. Have we heard anything from Reyna lately? Not a peep. And Kreis has shown that he's just clueless when it comes to game strategy.

- This is NYC, and expectations are MUCH higher than in any other market, especially if the Yanks are backing you.

- Sure, the Sounders existed before MLS, but that doesn't mean much. They still had to adjust to a higher level of play, and most of those players were on that team because they weren't good enough for MLS.

- Adding Lampard, Pirlo, Iraola and Angelino makes this a completely different team than what is there now. It's a drastic change. A change that on paper should compete with anyone in the league. They SHOULD win more games. A playoff birth, I don't know, but you can't with a straight face use the expansion excuse with this new team. You just can't. It's no longer a valid argument at that point.

I know the team was limited to a small pool of players, most of which weren't any good. BUT, could it be that bad decisions were made in those draft? I don't know. Maybe a better group of players could have been had.
So I was thinking "Where did we go wrong?" also. I looked up the expansion draft results which is the real "foundation"of our squad.

Here is who was available
Here are the selections

Out of 10 picks, 8 are with the team and 6 play regularly. I just looked at the Orlando roster for tonight. Only 1 pick is starting and 2 are on the bench. We suck because we play guys that other teams won't. Of course it'll get better when the midseason signings come in, but we are definitely behind every other team in MLS.

Did we miss on any players? Well Fagundez was supposedly untouchable due to a trade for allocation money. Some good players went abroad. Alan Gordon would have been awesome instead of Nemec. Does DC's Davy Arnaud get anyone excited? Other than that most of the available players are on some bench or out of the league.

Check out those lists... I think we could have done a lot worse to be honest.

You guys wont believe it, but I was driving to work and saw the red bulls bus pulled over to the side.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BxLio91
Does anyone know how long it takes to get to RBA from the 14 street Path station?

"We are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us."

Psssshhh thats a lie. No way I wait for 20 min for the train and then on the way to the next station they bust out the train traffic nonsense. I know theres no train, or id be ON the train.

7vf51.jpg

Reactions: mgarbowski