NYCFC v Revolution Postmatch

Like I said in pre match chat, not having Mix and Mata hurts. Both have been pretty good.

Team overall doesn't know how to finish.

I didn't think Saunders was horrible today. He made it all the way up to mediocre in my book.

Securitas tool threatening to eject me from the stadium an hour before the game because I wanted to meet my Forums friends, awful. Attendance, disappointing. Missing the only goal while at the head, consistent. Punting another 2 points, dreadful. Celebrating what looked like a goal in the final seconds, painful. Poku was a mixed bag. Mendoza is all shake no shine. The team is playing very tight and tentatively. Frustration seems already to be tarnishing their play. It's early and I'm still hopeful for better days, but this was a rough one.

I was one of the first people making the Poku bandwagon last year. There was a point in the season where we weren't going anywhere so we should give him playing time. Sure he's not perfect but he's a project and the only way you get a project to work is by working on it and giving it time.

I'm one of the first people behind the Start Johansen SuperPAC #Lurch. I was even saying Johansen should have played the final few games last year when we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. GET HIM IN THE FUCKING GAME. Sure Saunders holds a small child during the national anthem, and high fives all the fans, and is beloved by "supporters". I don't give a shit about any of that. I want someone who gives us the best chance on the field. As long as your not a convicted criminal, I don't care if you never sign an autograph for a small child. We're not doing anything right by letting Saunders stay as our starting goalkeeper. His distribution is trash, he isn't good on the ball, and he isn't the right fit for the Vieira system. How about we use the guy that knew Vieira back in Manchester. I'm not saying we would not have dropped points over the past three games if Johansen was the goalkeeper. But we've changed formations and players and substitutions and we're still not clicking. Maybe it's time to change the thing that has remained constant over these two years.

The referees were shit today and couldn't manage the game. I don't think they know what they're doing out there.

Optimistically I thought we should have 15 points after the Chicago home game in two weeks. That wasn't too ridiculously to think we could beat Chicago on the road and then Toronto, Orlando, New England, and Chicago at home. We have 5 points through 4 games and that's fucking garbage for what we want to accomplish. 5 POINTS! FUCK!

Last edited:
I'm going to apologize right now because I must have a poor understanding of the most important skills required to play the goalkeeper position. Yes Saunders is poor playing the ball with his feet (we've known that for a long time) but he made plenty of good plays that kept us in that game as well as some nice throws down the flanks that jumped started the offense on a couple of occasions. You guys can bitch and moan all you want about Saunders but he's not tasked with scoring goals and that's why we aren't winning right now. I'm not sold on Johannson because he's never played a first division team and the last time we saw him he allowed 2 very soft goals at the end of a preseason match against an inferior team (Reykjavik or FC Cincinnati) when we had our better players on the pitch. Yes against Orlando last week Saunders allowed a soft goal which was poorly defended as well. Today NE's only goal wasn't his fault and he made good saves in both games that kept us in it with a chance. The real problem is the inability to score goals and that's really concerning at home. Ok go ahead and crucify me now because supporting Saunders isn't the cool thing on these forums and acting like Johannson, a complete unknown, is Gigi Buffon is en vogue. Send your letters to Patrick Vieira. He's the one picking the squad and for some reason he seems to trust Saunders more the Johansson.

23 and a half thousand isn't that disappointing. It's better than Seattle last year.

I'd liked the third-rail joining in the Spanish chants and the "New York is Blue and White" chants in section 205 (thanks to the guy in in the gray shirt).

Villa on the left-wing though? What was going through PV's head?

I'm going to apologize right now because I must have a poor understanding of the most important skills required to play the goalkeeper position. Yes Saunders is poor playing the ball with his feet (we've known that for a long time) but he made plenty of good plays that kept us in that game as well as some nice throws down the flanks that jumped started the offense on a couple of occasions. You guys can bitch and moan all you want about Saunders but he's not tasked with scoring goals and that's why we aren't winning right now. I'm not sold on Johannson because he's never played a first division team and the last time we saw him he allowed 2 very soft goals at the end of a preseason match against an inferior team (Reykjavik or FC Cincinnati) when we had our better players on the pitch. Yes against Orlando last week Saunders allowed a soft goal which was poorly defended as well. Today NE's only goal wasn't his fault and he made good saves in both games that kept us in it with a chance. The real problem is the inability to score goals and that's really concerning at home. Ok go ahead and crucify me now because supporting Saunders isn't the cool thing on these forums and acting like Johannson, a complete unknown, is Gigi Buffon is en vogue. Send your letters to Patrick Vieira. He's the one picking the squad and for some reason he seems to trust Saunders more the Johansson.

Saunders isn't supposed to score goals but in Vieira system he is the starting point to build up the offense by playing out of the back. Sure that may be that defenders fault as well, but Saunders isn't do his part either and 70% of his kicks were received easily by New England today. He's also four inches taller so that helps in extending his body on deflections.

Last edited:
Villa = Carmelo. The offense too frequently boils down to a Villa iso and he still thinks he can abuse MLS defenders with his one on one SKILLZ, but it rarely works. I hope our DP second try is a lot better than the first.

Reactions: BxLio91 and Ulrich
Like I said in pre match chat, not having Mix and Mata hurts. Both have been pretty good.

Team overall doesn't know how to finish.

I didn't think Saunders was horrible today. He made it all the way up to mediocre in my book.
If u think being a gk in present day soccer is only about stopping the ball then yes Saunders was ok today. But overall he sucks and needs to be replaced ASAP. His distribution is laughable for a pro keeper.

Reactions: Ulrich
As stated above. To be considers a good gk in today's game you need to have command of the back line, have great communication with ur back line especially when the offense is attacking the flanks, and most important you need to be able to distribute out of danger with both legs. Saunders fails at everything but the ability to stop the ball. And even this he is well below average. Oh and yes I did send a tweet to PV asking him to please replace Saunders with EJ. I did my part.

ha
If u think being a gk in present day soccer is only about stopping the ball then yes Saunders was ok today. But overall he sucks and needs to be replaced ASAP. His distribution is laughable for a pro keeper.

Most of his great saves wouldn't have been necessary if he was in the right position in the first place.

I think Jay Heaps, the New England coach, will be fined by MLS. He wore a Nike sweatshirt today and that was visible on tv.

Woof. That game was like one long whoopie cushion fart being let out slowly. Martinez freezes on the ball and really had a tough time getting the ball flowing from the back, but did okay defensively. Hernandez had a great game, he's saved a goal or two on sliding challenges this year and has looked spry. We were forced outside way, way too often. I know that's one of the better ways we've played recently, but it was like a magnet was pushing the ball outside every time we pushed forward. Poku looked a bit winded in the second half and kept us from driving the ball down the gullet, it was a bit disappointing.

You could tell Pirlo was frustrated. That Yellow he got was a pure "f you" moment. Makes you realize how much we're going to need someone centrally who can go forward (Mix) and how lacking we are when relying on Iraola to be the only WB willing to press. Mullins' header should have been in, but at least he got the ball down. And Mac's final shot made everyone on the far side shart. I can't wait for it to be 70 for one of these games.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Spotted Viewfrom226 Viewfrom226 on the big screen at half time too!

And if you saw a bearded guy on the big screen getting excited that was my mate knocking my beer everywhere...

Good eye! Hope we did the forum proud by nailing that RJ Allen question! Did also get to meet Ulrich Ulrich by the concessions at halftime, which was fun.

Leah's wish for the season in our very first show was to get on the Jumbotron. Mine was a home playoff game. As the world stands today, at least we know one of us will get what we wanted. While there are positives from each of the last three matches (though not too many today), two points from three home matches isn'g going to get it done. More specific thoughts to follow after I finish being cranky.

Middle of the day on a Saturday of Easter weekend = low attendance?

he (Saunders) isn't the right fit for the Vieira system. How about we use the guy that knew Vieira back in Manchester.

How about we trust Vieira to make the decision on which keeper better fits his system? If there comes a time when Johannson is in goal for this club then we will all support him, but right now, for better or worse,Vieira has selected Saunders so either criticize Vieira as much as you do Saunders or support both coach and player.

Edit: Look, I think Johannson is better with his distribution, but I trust Vieira enough at this stage to set his own lineups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seth and SteveV