Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

Someone help me. The fact that Pirlo only signed a 1.5 year contract seems to be catching on online again. Last I checked, we had an option on him for 2017. What is the truth?

Reactions: Kjbert
Someone help me. The fact that Pirlo only signed a 1.5 year contract seems to be catching on online again. Last I checked, we had an option on him for 2017. What is the truth?

I'm not sure if it was ever announced. Certainly the website's news story doesn't state anything about the length of the contract. A lot of the talk before he signed suggested that the club wanted to have an option to renew clause in the deal and he didn't want to agree to it, but it's anyone's guess as to which side gave in to the other AFAIK.

"Pirlo, who confirmed Wednesday that he signed a 2½-year contract with NYCFC earlier this month as the team’s third designated player..." (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/love-big-apple-led-andrea-pirlo-nycfc-article-1.2301246)

I hate hate hate how secretive MLS contracts are.
In addition, given the state of soccer journalism, I would say there is a substantial chance that the sentence you quoted really should have read "Pirlo, who confirmed Wednesday that he signed a [ ] contract with NYCFC earlier this month as the team’s third designated player which I am calling 2.5 years because that's been widely mentioned without any sourcing but that's good enough for me."

In addition, given the state of soccer journalism, I would say there is a substantial chance that the sentence you quoted really should have read "Pirlo, who confirmed Wednesday that he signed a [ ] contract with NYCFC earlier this month as the team’s third designated player which I am calling 2.5 years because that's been widely mentioned without any sourcing but that's good enough for me."

You mean you don't consider (1) the Daily News (2) paraphrasing (3) something said through a translator to be a rock solid fact?

Villa expires at the end of 2017
Pirlo expires at the end of 2017
Lampard expires at the end of 2016?

If this is Lampard's last season, don't give him a storybook sendoff with fanfare. Let him quietly retire, just a press conference at the end of the season after the final game.

If this is Lampard's last season, don't give him a storybook sendoff with fanfare. Let him quietly retire, just a press conference at the end of the season after the final game.

I think Villa is confirmed thru 2017 and Lampard is confirmed through 2016 only. Pirlo is a question mark it seems.

As for having no fanfare. I want to agree, but I think the club should take every opportunity to get our name in the papers.

A commemorative subway token would be thoughtful.

How can you say that about a guy that's going to score 10+ goals this season?

Any chance of Wingert, Balouchy, Mena and Hernandez being somehow moved out of the team? And what about the new centreback we swapped for a superdraft pick, what quality is he and would he be good enough for the bench?

Looks like we are chasing down a young defender from PSG, Presnel Kimpembe, although it looks like it would be a summer deal.

http://nycfcwatch.sportsblog.com/posts/10516337/nycfc-eyeing-psg-defender-presnel-kimpembe.html
A great defender!!! He's My favourite (or at least one of the most favourite) french prospect!! Remember watching him live in a Youth League (u19 european champions league) match I attended back in 2014 and he was solid. He also made some amazing clearences, including a couple of from the goalline, and made some great tackles. I was very happy when he started appearing with PSG's first team the following season and signed a pro contract till 2018 a year ago.

mmvEpYw0NNE.jpg

Still, their head coach has said recently that Kimpembe is not likely to leave this winter unless it suites a lot all the sides [as a loan obviously].

Last edited:
Any chance of Wingert, Balouchy, Mena and Hernandez being somehow moved out of the team? And what about the new centreback we swapped for a superdraft pick, what quality is he and would he be good enough for the bench?
Sure, if another team wants to trade for them. White will make the team as likely the 4th CB.

Sure, if another team wants to trade for them. White will make the team as likely the 4th CB.
He he he, that's too obvious) I meant if there was a possobility or any hints or gossips about these players like, the X manager has already worked with Y and would like to see Y on his team again in the Z franchise. Or that some MLS team needs to strengh certain positions so the following players might fit in their teams (no idea how these players can do it though)

He he he, that's too obvious) I meant if there was a possobility or any hints or gossips about these players like, the X manager has already worked with Y and would like to see Y on his team again in the Z franchise. Or that some MLS team needs to strengh certain positions so the following players might fit in their teams (no idea how these players can do it though)
I only have coffee and pastries with PV each morning on the way to the office, and he hasn't told me jack since the cronut fiasco, so unless somebody else is tight with the other coaches no teams are going to be leaking rumors with the draft approaching unless a trade is already underway. But if Kreis is hired somewhere, you can bet that Wingert will be traded for.

Reactions: Majik and Kjbert