Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

I only have coffee and pastries with PV each morning on the way to the office, and he hasn't told me jack since the cronut fiasco, so unless somebody else is tight with the other coaches no teams are going to be leaking rumors with the draft approaching unless a trade is already underway. But if Kreis is hired somewhere, you can bet that Wingert will be traded for.
You need to up your pastry game for the good of the forum.

Reactions: CCMore and Kjbert
You need to up your pastry game for the good of the forum.
It's really really really difficult to constantly impress a Frenchman with morning pastry options.... and you should hear him argue the merits of Franch roast beans versus Italian pretenders. Honestly, he can be more exhausting than my 9 month old, so I try to distract him and ask about the weather.

Reactions: mgarbowski
A great defender!!! He's My favourite (or at least one of the most favourite) french prospect!! Remember watching him live in a Youth League (u19 european champions league) match I attended back in 2014 and he was solid. He also made some amazing clearences, including a couple of from the goalline, and made some great tackles. I was very happy when he started appearing with PSG's first team the following season and signed a pro contract till 2018 a year ago.

mmvEpYw0NNE.jpg

Still, their head coach has said recently that Kimpembe is not likely to leave this winter unless it suites a lot all the sides [as a loan obviously].

Where does he typically play? CB?

Reactions: Kjbert
Was thinking this with a 4-3-3 and Matarrita and Teixeira hopefully signing on (or someone comparable).
Starters:
View attachment 3791

Backups:
View attachment 3792

Sad that most of those backups were starting last year..

I'm coming around on Poku as a winger. It's not ideal, but he could play inside as the top backup at all three midfield spots as well.

I think their enthusiasm for Harrison indicates that they aren't planning around my ideal 4-3-1-2 though. It's like a 4-3-3 without wingers, and puts Poku in a perfect central spot. But it seems like they wanted Harrison so bad because we want to play with wingers.

This is also feasible as Vieira has been playing mostly a 4-3-3 at EDS.
One thing for certain with that lineup, nobody is known for primarily playing the back pass, so that's a plus over last year.

Reactions: JayH
It seems like Vieira sees Poku as a midfielder long term, but wow does our lineup look good with him as a False 9 (and defensive additions):

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png
Someone explain to me why switching Lamps and Poku in that formation is not smart.

Someone explain to me why switching Lamps and Poku in that formation is not smart.
Poku's best position is probably as a second striker/cam. Lampard may not have the legs to do it every game for 90 minutes but his best position is as an attacking #8.

Been saying this for a while. Lampard doesn't have the legs for a full 90+ of defensive hustle but people tend to be stuck on past success. People also want poku in a false 9 which does make sense and I wouldn't disagree. It's just tough making sense of lampard in our lineup. I also wonder why people insist on Pirlo in front of the back four instead of Mix. It's very clear Pirlo is 1) an amazing offensive force when allowed to focus on that and 2) not able to run down defenders or break up plays in this physical, counter heavy league. Of course my theory largely depends on Mix stepping up for the 6 role.

Edit: also don't be surprised to see Harrison where lampard is right now. Playing style was described as somewhere between a left wing and center mid with more tendency to make plays rather than attack the net. Sounds perfect for our style of play with "wing backs" and no true wingers.

Once again signs point to where to put Lampard. Do we sacrifice player development/experience in Harrison/Poku/Mullins/Shelton to justify his cost? Or does he become a late impact player like he was on MCFC

Last edited:
Been saying this for a while. Lampard doesn't have the legs for a full 90+ of defensive hustle but people tend to be stuck on past success. People also want poku in a false 9 which does make sense and I wouldn't disagree. It's just tough making sense of lampard in our lineup. I also wonder why people insist on Pirlo in front of the back four instead of Mix. It's very clear Pirlo is 1) an amazing offensive force when allowed to focus on that and 2) not able to run down defenders or break up plays in this physical, counter heavy league. Of course my theory largely depends on Mix stepping up for the 6 role.

Edit: also don't be surprised to see Harrison where lampard is right now. Playing style was described as somewhere between a left wing and center mid with more tendency to make plays rather than attack the net. Sounds perfect for our style of play with "wing backs" and no true wingers.

Once again signs point to where to put Lampard. Do we sacrifice player development/experience in Harrison/Poku/Mullins/Shelton to justify his cost? Or does he become a late impact player like he was on MCFC

So Super Sub Frankie Lampard or 60' Super Frank?

So Super Sub Frankie Lampard or 60' Super Frank?
The way I see it, both Lampard and Shelton would start on the bench. When subbed in, Lampard would bring in an educated tactical effort and player-coach mentality from observing the game and Shelton would be the fresh speed to test the slow tired defenders. To start Shelton over Mullins is crazy in my opinion. Mullins is super underrated. Not just for his nose for the net but for that gritty effort and mentality that's been few and far between last season. I give all my credit to him for the turning of tides in our fight for playoffs by stepping up in that game where even Villa, our team captain was ready to wave the white flag. You can't teach a mentality like his