Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

Been saying this for a while. Lampard doesn't have the legs for a full 90+ of defensive hustle but people tend to be stuck on past success. People also want poku in a false 9 which does make sense and I wouldn't disagree. It's just tough making sense of lampard in our lineup. I also wonder why people insist on Pirlo in front of the back four instead of Mix. It's very clear Pirlo is 1) an amazing offensive force when allowed to focus on that and 2) not able to run down defenders or break up plays in this physical, counter heavy league. Of course my theory largely depends on Mix stepping up for the 6 role.

Edit: also don't be surprised to see Harrison where lampard is right now. Playing style was described as somewhere between a left wing and center mid with more tendency to make plays rather than attack the net. Sounds perfect for our style of play with "wing backs" and no true wingers.

Once again signs point to where to put Lampard. Do we sacrifice player development/experience in Harrison/Poku/Mullins/Shelton to justify his cost? Or does he become a late impact player like he was on MCFC
Deep lying playmaker is the only position Pirlo can play...do you play him in a single or double pivot is another question.

Deep lying playmaker is the only position Pirlo can play...do you play him in a single or double pivot is another question.
Exactly what I was getting to. I obviously don't expect him to be some come straight at you bulldozer like Poku, but to see a large percentage of defensive responsibility off his shoulders would benefit our offense immensely. I'm leaning towards a rotation between single and double pivot of whatever the hell Pirlo wants to do. I trust his reading of the game. As long as Mix thoroughly understands his first priority is defense. Pirlo holds the key to our offense. I definitely trust that responsibility in a world class player like him.

In my opinion these are pokus strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths:
1. Amazing with the ball when dribbling at defenders
2. Great finisher
3. Great long ball, switch feild type passer
4. Great at finding the right pass in the box to set up a teammate (mix, tmac tap ins last season)

Weaknesses or skills he has not shown yet
1. Minimal effort on defense, is mostly an attacking player.
2. Has yet to show a lot of creative passing skills during build up play.
3. Has not shown a lot of back to tge goal hold up striker skills.

Based on these things I don't see why he cant excel on the wing in a 4-3-3. I also don't understand how at this point he can be a the cf or cam that the offense runs through unless every posession is poku dribbling at people or we think everything will be run from the back by pirlo (which is certainly possible).

The wing in a 433 might be good for him. Let him be out wide and just dribble at defenders.

I'm curious as to what the reasoning is behind the idea that poku must play centrally.

Strengths:
2. Great finisher
4. Great at finding the right pass in the box to set up a teammate (mix, tmac tap ins last season)

Based on these things I don't see why he cant excel on the wing in a 4-3-3. I also don't understand how at this point he can be a the cf or cam that the offense runs through unless every posession is poku dribbling at people or we think everything will be run from the back by pirlo (which is certainly possible).

The wing in a 433 might be good for him. Let him be out wide and just dribble at defenders.

I'm curious as to what the reasoning is behind the idea that poku must play centrally.

Good take. To try to answer your question, I think the preference to play him centrally is because he's more big than fast. He can take on center backs and play physical. On the outside, it's a bit more of a speed and finesse game.

Because he barrels towards goal like a freight train, and freight trains are hard to turn. So if he was on the outside I don't think he'd be able to make that turn towards the center before crashing into the stands behind the goal.

I'm confused by the pundits talking about Mix being the odd man out in this lineup JUST because we drafted Harrison. Sure he is a great young player, but at best he is a late bench depth. He isn't starting on day 1, or at least shouldn't. Mix is one of the stalwarts of this team. He is not going any where.

Also,

Can someone please explain the single vs. double pivot? To start what is a pivot?
80_824_325_z_8500p_corn_web_hero.jpg

Strengths:
2. Great finisher

Strength: his name is Poku! I mean seriously, how much more fun is it to drunken yell his name in the stands than any other player we have?

Strength: his name is Poku! I mean seriously, how much more fun is it to drunken yell his name in the stands than any other player we have?

Agreed, big miss on my part. I probably should have also added:

Strength: seems to be an outstanding person who overcame a lot to get here.

Possible Weakness: it appears that for some reason his right wrist needs to be held together with large amounts of tape at all times.

My understanding of the term "pivot", which I was first introduced to by closely following the Spanish national team that utilized a double pivot of Busquets and Xabi Alonso during their great run from appx. 2008 to 2012, is that a "pivot" is the deepest lying midfielder who occupies the space in front of the back 4 and behind the other midfielders -- the job/role of the "pivot" is to break up the opposition's attacks and transition (or pivot) to counterattacks or just to relieve pressure by distributing passes to his teammates (long outlet passes being ideal for counterattacks, of course).