Orlando (Away) - Postmatch

We had a lot of questions about Dome coming into the season, and I'm not sure he answered them today.

Why were two of our most influential players out of position?

Maxi has an MLS MVP-caliber year last year and he starts up top instead of the No. 10? Ring is one of the best D-mids in the league, so he starts in an advanced position? Did not like the team selection.

Getting outplayed by an Orlando team which started virtually none of its stars is not the way I was hoping to start the season. Orlando deserved that win, we stole a point even as we dropped two points.

Good news is that Mitrita is the real deal; guy is going to be a blast to watch all season. Thought Lewis and Sands were both ghosts, and Johnson needs to do better on that first goal.

EDIT: Maybe I'm being a bit hard on Lewis. He wasn't a ghost, but it wasn't his strongest game, and all things equal I'd rather see other guys get that starting role.

There are some positives, but let's not play Maxi and Ring out of position anymore. It didn't work last season and it won't work this year.

I totally agree. Maxi as a false 9 is a horrible idea. He's cannot win long balls, he's not a great finisher, and he's the only one who can organize the team and get it in rhythm. Same about Ring as an 8. He is the best 6 in MLS, and we have two or three other options for 8. In the end we had the same amount of shots and clear chances, so I don't think the result was unfair, but we played exactly the opposite of our usual style. No press, low block, counter? Felt like Portland without a 9.

I totally agree. Maxi as a false 9 is a horrible idea. He's cannot win long balls, he's not a great finisher, and he's the only one who can organize the team and get it in rhythm. Same about Ring as an 8. He is the best 6 in MLS, and we have two or three other options for 8. In the end we had the same amount of shots and clear chances, so I don't think the result was unfair, but we played exactly the opposite of our usual style. No press, low block, counter? Felt like Portland without a 9.

A midfield of Maxi, Parks, and Ring could work -- Maxi up top, Parks and Ring in front of the defense. Maybe have Sands in for Parks, that could work. But that midfield today was, to borrow a phrase from the manager, a puto disastre.

Why Dome doesn’t realize that his captain is the best #6 in the league and actually PLAY HIM THERE is mind blowing.

Ring was in the box trying to play striker. Great goal from him, but Dome can’t expect that his DMs are going to provide the scoring every game.

Going to be a long year.

It's like watching Kante playing forward on Chelsea -- sometimes you get a good result, but it's just wrong.

Even with all the mistakes Dome made today, all he had to do was slide Ring back in front of the CBs up 2-1 and we win that match.

Against a good team? We’re fucked. This manager is not qualified to manage this team.

If Chanot and Sands had not let Dwyer split them. They had plenty of time to do that. Medina wasn’t good today, but it that ball was arguably unreachable — you might as well blame mitrita for overhitting it — and blaming a goal on a goal kick at the other end is pretty harsh anyway.
Was hoping someone would make me feel better about that. And agree on the rest.

Props to the combination of Univision and my DVR for cutting this match short in the 87th minute. I guess I'll have to add at least five minutes to the stop time of matches on Univision.

We were bad and we drew. Our defense was bad. Our attack was rusty. Nice assists from Lewis and Mitri.

Was that a 5-4-1 out of possession? Okay... but I'm not psyched about Maxi being the 1. He has the ball skills (when match sharp) to be an out-ball, but you're forced to play it up the field to feet, which seems limiting.

Reactions: Ulrich
You miscreants criticizing Domè clearly don't know about soccer. The fact that we went from a cup contender when he came in to barely crawling into the playoffs was not his fault. He hasn't had time to put his system in place. He needs the entire season. We should wait until the team misses out on the playoffs before judging if he has a clue. Coming away with the idea that he's clueless after a half season an offseason a preseason and a transfer window means you clearly don't have Barça DNA. You couldn't have been Peps friend and assistant and doing Pep a favor wouldn't have been the main reason for your hire. That also wouldn't be the reason why the club wouldn't fire you if you ruined the team. The stats are wrong. The losses and points dropped don't count anyway if we had the higher possession percentages. Don't trust your eyes and facts. Trust Domè.

You miscreants criticizing Domè clearly don't know about soccer. The fact that we went from a cup contender when he came in to barely crawling into the playoffs was not his fault. He hasn't had time to put his system in place. He needs the entire season. We should wait until the team misses out on the playoffs before judging if he has a clue. Coming away with the idea that he's clueless after a half season an offseason a preseason and a transfer window means you clearly don't have Barça DNA. You couldn't have been Peps friend and assistant and doing Pep a favor wouldn't have been the main reason for your hire. That also wouldn't be the reason why the club wouldn't fire you if you ruined the team. The stats are wrong. The losses and points dropped don't count anyway if we had the higher possession percentages. Don't trust your eyes and facts. Trust Domè.
Tbf you have to have a very high IQ to understand Domè.

So, do people think we are regularly going to play low possession, long balls from the keeper and countering, or was this a one-off because of Orlando? Neither makes me happy, but the latter is less upsetting. To play this way regularly makes a mockery of the CFG way and any pretense that we have continuity among teams and interchangeability among coaches and players. It also makes the hire of Torrent seem preposterous from the outset, because it puts the lie to him being Pep Prime in anyway whatsoever.

To have done it just for this game, well, that's something that either works or it doesn't. It didn't work, so it was an objective failure. He already changed the way the team played last season, ruining the second half, in order to succeed more in the playoffs and that was an utter objective failure. If we're going to bomb out in the same round might as well get more than a point per game for the last 3 months.

But, at least, if this was a single game strategic deviation, then it's not a complete repudiation of everything the team built in the first 3.5 years. Hell, Kreis played more CFG and Pep-like than we saw today.

We are a total dogshit team. We looked like ass all game long save for three moments of brilliance, two of which were goals and the third was when Lewis undressed his marker and centered a perfect ball to Maxi at the top of the box who then blew the pass to Ring.

Anybody that was defending Dome-ball better admit to enjoying shit-ass disjointed play because that’s all we’re getting. The guy who supposedly sees things nobody else notices is outclassed by an Irish coach whose only experience is in the USL and a forgettable half season of MLS.