Orlando (Away) - Postmatch

The best part about today: only two more Univision games for us this season.

Holy cow are they bad. Announcers suck, replays constantly missing action ... Give me YES any day over Univision. Terribad.
I love how they didn't bother to give the English team a heads-up for the in-game promos. All of a suddenly the Champions League theme starts playimg in the background and the graphic goes on the screen and they talk right through it.

We also got some great commentary, like after Orland scored their first goal -- "Thats just what Orlando needed to get back in the game..."

We also got some great commentary, like after Orland scored their first goal -- "Thats just what Orlando needed to get back in the game..."
I enjoyed the extended 3-4 minute riff on how the season is 34 games long so it's OK to lose but it is still better to win. And that was as in-depth as it got.

Last edited:
So, do people think we are regularly going to play low possession, long balls from the keeper and countering, or was this a one-off because of Orlando?
My suspicion is that what we saw tonight was a first attempt at Domé's "away look" while we don't have a striker.
I think we're going to see a lot of wacky experimentation unless or until we sign a striker.

So, do people think we are regularly going to play low possession, long balls from the keeper and countering, or was this a one-off because of Orlando? Neither makes me happy, but the latter is less upsetting. To play this way regularly makes a mockery of the CFG way and any pretense that we have continuity among teams and interchangeability among coaches and players. It also makes the hire of Torrent seem preposterous from the outset, because it puts the lie to him being Pep Prime in anyway whatsoever.

To have done it just for this game, well, that's something that either works or it doesn't. It didn't work, so it was an objective failure. He already changed the way the team played last season, ruining the second half, in order to succeed more in the playoffs and that was an utter objective failure. If we're going to bomb out in the same round might as well get more than a point per game for the last 3 months.

But, at least, if this was a single game strategic deviation, then it's not a complete repudiation of everything the team built in the first 3.5 years. Hell, Kreis played more CFG and Pep-like than we saw today.

I hope it was a match specific strategy to counter something he saw in Ornaldo after the preseason match. Maybe also give them a different look than what they were expecting. This time last year we all complained there was no plan B from PV. I love the idea of game specific planing, but it needs to work or you’re being constantly out coached.

Also, if you’re so smart, then also coach the situation. As mentioned earlier, drop Ring back when you have a lead. If Lewis is tired, bring in another mid and change the shape. Instead, he sends out Medina to pick daisies on the wing.

Either be Vince Lombardi (or PV), Do one thing really well and challenge the other team to stop you. Or be Bill Belichek and have a new gameplan to exploit every team you play. But then also make the in-game adjustments to counter when things don’t work or the situation dictates. I believe Dome tries to do the later, but for some reason he can’t adjust the team’s shape and style mid match if his original plan is not working. I also think he may overthink everything and come out with bad plans from the get go.

Also, for those wondering why Rocha was brought in, replay showed Sweat pull up holding his hamstring while tracking a guy. That’s the only reason I can see the switch considering Rocha had zero positional/marking awareness.

Also, for those wondering why Rocha was brought in, replay showed Sweat pull up holding his hamstring while tracking a guy. That’s the only reason I can see the switch considering Rocha had zero positional/marking awareness.

I’m worried Rocha becomes this year’s Amagat. I’m praying he’s the only one who can play LB besides Sweat and Mata. But then slide the backline over, switch to a 3 man back. Sweat for Seba and Tin moves to the midfield. Anything but Rocha in a tight one.

Reactions: Kjbert
Dome is so fucking out of his element here. That was managerial malpractice.

You’re first sub is Medina. You’re second sub is TONY FUCKING ROCHA.

The set up was wrong from the outset. You’re two best returning players are lined up way out of position.

Maxi Moralez is a good #10. He’s probably best suited in a CM role paired with Ring and a guy like Parks or Sands right behind him in a double pivot.

Instead this fucking ass of a manager lines him as a #9. No, not a false 9 which also would have been dumb, but a #9. So let me get this straight Dome, let’s take our SLOWEST player and best distributor of the ball and make him a target man for your shaky goalkeeper? That’s your brilliant fucking plan? Our central midfield can’t retain any possession and you make no change? Instead, you have your players send the ball over the top to the slowest guy on the pitch?

Then, you take our captain and our team mvp and push him up TWO levels. Are you mad? Orlando carves up Ofori and Sands and you don’t think to make a change? You go up 2-0 and instead of bunkering after the first goal, your solution is Medina for Lewis instead of just pushing Ring back to protect your CBs?

I promised I would give Dome a chance this year. This was his chance. From 1) the tactical mismanagement to start (wrong formation for that lineup or wrong lineup for that formation) to 2) not making a change at halftime up 2-0 to 3) not making the required change at 2-1 to 4) sticking with the formation and not bringing on your most explosive bench option in Tajour-Shradi and then 5) when the game is finally tied you bring in Keaton Parks and tell him to play target man? What an imbecile.

Our $8 million man is out there on the left waving his hands for someone to pass it to him
But because you’re too fucking dumb to set your midfield up correctly, Dome’s fat ass May as well have been playing LW.

That’s it. That was Dome’s chance. Unless he recognizes that this result is squarely on his lack of tactical awareness and/or stubbornness, he’s not redeemable as a manager. That’s a disgrace of a result after being up 2-0. He’s a fucking disaster.

And if you disagree, don’t at me. Save yourself the effort. Because I’m right and this manager is in over his head. He’s nothing but Pep’s buddy and if he wasn’t lucky enough to meet Pep later in life he’d bring serving Sangria at a beachside bar in Barcelona.

I can't really disagree with any of this. But I'm going to give him one more game, the home opener, to give me some sort of sign that he can do this. I need to see a team with a plan--even if the execution is not quite there yet, a plan-- and some in-game managing (subs, formation tweaks, etc.). And 3 points. If not, I'm all in on #DomeOut. For real, that was not fun to watch today.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
This is how I imagine Dome’s mind working after all his over thinking.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I’m worried Rocha becomes this year’s Amagat. I’m praying he’s the only one who can play LB besides Sweat and Mata. But then slide the backline over, switch to a 3 man back. Sweat for Seba and Tin moves to the midfield. Anything but Rocha in a tight one.

The move for Sweat was Parks. Ofori was your backup LB last year and your wing back multiple times. He slides to LB.

Rocha is indefensible there.

Reactions: adam
I can't really disagree with any of this. But I'm going to give him one more game, the home opener, to give me some sort of sign that he can do this. I need to see a team with a plan--even if the execution is not quite there yet, a plan-- and some in-game managing (subs, formation tweaks, etc.). And 3 points. If not, I'm all in on #DomeOut. For real, that was not fun to watch today.

I said this in a different thread.

Today was his mulligan. If Maxi and Ring are played out of position next weekend, we’ll know all we need to know.

I love how they didn't bother to give the English team a heads-up for the in-game promos. All of a suddenly the Champions League theme starts playimg in the background and the graphic goes on the screen and they talk right through it.

Literally the worst commentating in sports.

I said this in a different thread.

Today was his mulligan. If Maxi and Ring are played out of position next weekend, we’ll know all we need to know.

Does he get that benefit of the doubt? These things were being done last year, too. He played Ring as the 10 a couple times. I don't remember if Maxi was getting moved around, but at the very least he's seen Ring in the advanced role and should already know he's better as the D-mid.

Dome is going to get the entire season, and you get the sense he's going to infuriate us all the way until October.

Does he get that benefit of the doubt? These things were being done last year, too. He played Ring as the 10 a couple times. I don't remember if Maxi was getting moved around, but at the very least he's seen Ring in the advanced role and should already know he's better as the D-mid.

Dome is going to get the entire season, and you get the sense he's going to infuriate us all the way until October.

I’m giving him this mulligan because some people on here who shall remain nameless still think this guy knows what he’s doing. I’m giving him the mulligan because I want to be nice to the others who haven’t figured it out yet.

This is like when your 7 year old goes to play rec soccer and someone thinks it’s smart to ask the dad with the English accent to be the coach. Little did you know he grew up playing Cricket in Kensington and doesn’t know a soccer ball from a volleyball.

I’m giving him this mulligan because some people on here who shall remain nameless still think this guy knows what he’s doing. I’m giving him the mulligan because I want to be nice to the others who haven’t figured it out yet.

This is like when your 7 year old goes to play rec soccer and someone thinks it’s smart to ask the dad with the English accent to be the coach. Little did you know he grew up playing Cricket in Kensington and doesn’t know a soccer ball from a volleyball.

The cricket Oval is in Kennington, not Kensington. Shit town, but I used to live there.

Reactions: Kjbert

I want to like Dome, I really do. I want to think he's a good coach, that he's got what it takes. Because, frankly, it doesn't make sense for him to be this bad a coach considering everything he's accomplished in world soccer. But between his selection, his tactics, and his media management, he just seems completely overwhelmed here. Some guys are just meant to be assistant coaches.

I want to like Dome, I really do. I want to think he's a good coach, that he's got what it takes. Because, frankly, it doesn't make sense for him to be this bad a coach considering everything he's accomplished in world soccer. But between his selection, his tactics, and his media management, he just seems completely overwhelmed here. Some guys are just meant to be assistant coaches.

What has HE accomplished?