Orlando Postmatch

Two things:

1. I slept through most of the first half.

2. No way he’s less postionally aware than RJ Allen and Ethan White. Literally, not possible. He’s both more talented and more experienced and just way the fuck better than either.

And bonus:
I clearly have said Tinny is better. That’s not an argument. But SAS Woukd be the best RB we’ve ever seen suit up if it weren’t that he joined with Tinny.

Re: point 1

Well then you missed it

Re point 2: not supported by data. He has more MLS appearances than RJ but their top flight experience is about the same at 63-64 appearances. White has way more MLS experience — 100 apps. But that’s not really my point. I’m not arguing talent level. He is inarguably more talented than either of those guys, but those guys both had to get by on positional awareness to offset their physical limitations and get into the 11. I have three years of watching our RBs up close. The only thing RJ had going for him was positional awareness. White was clueless in 16 but improved notably in 17. And Struna was better in this respect than both of them. Thankfully we have gotten past that but SAS has some work to do there.

Re: point 1

Well then you missed it

Re point 2: not supported by data. He has more MLS appearances than RJ but their top flight experience is about the same at 63-64 appearances. White has way more MLS experience — 100 apps. But that’s not really my point. I’m not arguing talent level. He is inarguably more talented than either of those guys, but those guys both had to get by on positional awareness to offset their physical limitations and get into the 11. I have three years of watching our RBs up close. The only thing RJ had going for him was positional awareness. White was clueless in 16 but improved notably in 17. And Struna was better in this respect than both of them. Thankfully we have gotten past that but SAS has some work to do there.
I can’t read that until it’s formatted.

Cheers, Geoff.

We really haven't talked about our defensive effort much, but we've allowed one goal in three games this season.

And frankly, in all three games, the opponents barely even threatened. Today, aside from that chance in the 87th minute, I never felt like Orlando even came close to scoring. As good as our offense is, the defense is what's going to carry this club. Our defense let us down the last two years in the playoffs, and it certainly doesn't feel like it's going to let us down this year.

On other notes: Medina continues to be the truth. Maxi looks so much better than last year, and I think Ring is the most important player on the squad. He might be the best defensive midfielder in MLS, Callens might be the best CB in MLS, and Chanot is right behind him.

This is such a good team, a professional team, and a team that knows exactly what's needed to get wins. Well done to Vieira, to the scouts, to Reyna for putting this squad together. We really have something special this year.

Love that this is our victory song. I wish we stuck around to sing it after they throw/kick the mini balls. I tweeted about it last week. It's just such a good feeling song after a W.

It's funny. I think last year it was our losing song and Back in the New York Groove was our winning song.

Love that this is our victory song. I wish we stuck around to sing it after they throw/kick the mini balls. I tweeted about it last week. It's just such a good feeling song after a W.
I, of course, hate it. It's dated and awful and not even good in its time. Makes me sad every time that THAT is what they came up with .

Reactions: hatt91
I, of course, hate it. It's dated and awful and not even good in its time. Makes me sad every time that THAT is what they came up with .

LOL it's way before my time and I enjoy that its so different.

It's funny. I think last year it was our losing song and Back in the New York Groove was our winning song.

I think they play them both no matter what... They play Back in the New York Groove during the ball toss and general euphoria right after the game and as the stadium has cleared I hear "You're no tramp, but you're no ladyyyyyy"

I'd like to know why it took that. Some of us have known for a long time. Not naming names or anything. Just some of us .

Do you remember what meram has done to us coming in from the left? Look at what he's even done this year .I think you're selling SAS short for what he did defensively .

He's no Tinny going forward, but he's very, very good defending. I'd consider him as wide CB in a 3 .He has the height and loads of pace. He was better than I remembered him, and I was already happy we picked him up .

Laughable that Vermes chose an old and terrible Zusi over him .

Just to bring the Sweat - SAS - Vermes discussion all the way around, our winning goal against SKC came when Sweat flew by Zusi like Graham was just standing still fixing his ponytail. I mean he burned him like a supernova. Highly doubtful that goal happens if SAS were guarding that side instead of Zusi.

anyone have a link to a video the Mata injury? I didn't watch the game, and missed what happened. Contact/ No contact?

Reactions: Kjbert
“Unfortunately for me, I think that’s three matches where I just feel like we’re giving things away,” Kreis said. “In the first match, we give away a goal off defending a throw-in in our own end and we end up with an ejection that was a poor decision. The second game, it was the same thing with giving away a cheap goal, and this game we smash the ball at our goalkeeper and give away the first goal.”

This is all too familiar. Can't see him lasting long there / anywhere, really. He's the most negative coach I know, and does nothing but blame players. I almost feel bad for Orlando fans.

Not sure if this dead horse has been beaten enough yet, but at what point does Isi get a chance ahead of Wallace?

::runs and hides::

Reactions: Schwallacus
Great game and outstanding second half by the players but can we stop and talk about the pathetic attendance? 18.5k for a Saturday mid-afternoon game with nice weather? I understand that it's St Patrick's Day but that shouldn't keep that many people away. I'm really disappointed in the front office and how they're marketing this team to the metro NYC area.

Or Ibeagha.....
Tactics and personnel can’t be separated though. What PV did is the same thing as your spouse asking you to buy a meat to make for a family dinner later in the week on the weekend. You decide not to buy the steak, because one guest is allergic, and instead go with the chicken that everybody likes. But instead of going with the organic free range, you choose the cheaper one that expires tomorrow. You may have bought he correct meat, but it’s gonna spoil before being cooked. Now nobody is happy.

If you were wondering about the footedness of our midfielders, when Kwame Awuah subbed in for Maxi, Awuah got the left side and Yangel moved to the right. Same thing happened last week with Ofori.

I guess the silver lining for us if Mata goes out is that we have two left footed players in Awuah and Ofori that could play left back.

Last edited:
As ZYanksRule ZYanksRule was saying we might have the best defense in the league this year. Ring and Herrera in front of the back line are the best defensive pairing I have seen and we have speed skill and size in the back line. The top 3 teams last year were SKC (who have allowed 7 goals in 3 games), Toronto -- who looked really vulnerable to being beaten by pace over the top or through the middle with Moor in the middle of the back 3 their first game and Seattle who we cant judge until Alonso is healthy. Maybe the Crew will step it up even more, but I haven't seen anyone else who is on our level.

Maxi is finally receiving the ball higher up the field and trusting Ring and Herrera -- that is making a huge difference in our attack and his effectiveness.

When we started the season I thought we were legitimately 2 deep in every position. We haven't seen Berget, but after 270 minutes and a game without a healthy striker I believe it.

With a win against a Revs team that is a talented train wreck we will be 12 points up on Toronto before they play a tough RSL the following week -- that's a massive margin.