Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

The "Norwegian Jurgen Klopp," as he has been christened, embodies Celtic's overall strategic objectives.

He is young, has the potential to grow even more as a manager and already has experience operating in a somewhat restrictive transfer environment, relying on effective scouting rather than excessive spending.

On the pitch, Deila has a distinct philosophy: fast, attacking football.

Favouring a 4-3-3 system with offensive full-backs—ideal for current Celtic defenders Emilio Izaguirre, Adam Matthews and Mikael Lustig—Deila places considerable emphasis on youth and development to carry out his vision successfully,

Well, this article seems to describe a guy that makes a lot of sense for us. We'll see.

His record at Valerenga doesn't bother me. They spent most of 2014 near bankruptcy and without even a shirt sponsor. They've apparently stabilized, and have their own stadium for the first time ever., but I'm not sure whether they have the free cash to acquire players to challenge for the top. He has them treading water, and I just don't know if that's as good as can be expected or if he should have done better. And he did win in this league on a team that was not an annual winner.

I'd like learn more about why SPL fans are heavily down on him. I understand he won but not as easily as he should have. Was it training, tactics, adjustments, roster management? Player and locker room management?

His record at Valerenga doesn't bother me. They spent most of 2014 near bankruptcy and without even a shirt sponsor. They've apparently stabilized, and have their own stadium for the first time ever., but I'm not sure whether they have the free cash to acquire players to challenge for the top. He has them treading water, and I just don't know if that's as good as can be expected or if he should have done better. And he did win in this league on a team that was not an annual winner.

I'd like learn more about why SPL fans are heavily down on him. I understand he won but not as easily as he should have. Was it training, tactics, adjustments, roster management? Player and locker room management?

I got mixed reviews from celtic supporters on twitter this morning

- "Everyone I knew liked him. But everyone I knew doesn't do this "we need a Celtic man" in charge bullshit. The media did not like him. He dared to say Scottish football was full of unfit players Maybe job came too early from him but was very unfairly treated"

- "He also had a number of shocking results, had 2 opportunities at qualifying for the champions league in 1 season and lost both.
Lost the scottish cup semis to a championship rangers side. For contrast Rodgers dismantled that side the following season. He was good but not good enough"

- "His passion made him loved but in big games he fell short"

To me it sounds like he had a lot of passion for the club but wasn't the best manager. Had the best team by far in th league and he still struggled with what he had. They won they double and they still sacked him. Idk about you guys but I'm not too thrilled if this is what we've waited for....

And Celtic fans hated him too. Maybe let’s go with our academy coach instead?
To be fair, what fans of MLS teams currently like their head coach? And let's not include head coaches that just arrived? I would guess Seattle, LAFC, and possibly SKC may be the few.

San Jose and New England may also fit the bill.

And I say the above without being plugged into those fanbases to really get an idea. But we all know how much Dome and De Boer had a TON of dissenters though they were quite successful.

I got mixed reviews from celtic supporters on twitter this morning

- "Everyone I knew liked him. But everyone I knew doesn't do this "we need a Celtic man" in charge bullshit. The media did not like him. He dared to say Scottish football was full of unfit players Maybe job came too early from him but was very unfairly treated"

- "He also had a number of shocking results, had 2 opportunities at qualifying for the champions league in 1 season and lost both.
Lost the scottish cup semis to a championship rangers side. For contrast Rodgers dismantled that side the following season. He was good but not good enough"

- "His passion made him loved but in big games he fell short"

To me it sounds like he had a lot of passion for the club but wasn't the best manager. Had the best team by far in th league and he still struggled with what he had. They won they double and they still sacked him. Idk about you guys but I'm not too thrilled if this is what we've waited for....
hmmmmmmm... Semis here we go again :)

Reactions: Kjbert and Buckley
To be fair, what fans of MLS teams currently like their head coach? And let's not include head coaches that just arrived? I would guess Seattle, LAFC, and possibly SKC may be the few.

And I say the above without being plugged into those fanbases to really get an idea. But we all know how much Dome and De Boer had a TON of dissenters though they were quite successful.
I also think this generally transcends to other sports. Outside of legend-type coaches (i.e., Belichick, Coach K, etc.), there is usually a fairly sizable part of a fanbase that hates the coach.

Add Toronto.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but there was a big element that Celtic were unchallenged in the top league and really should have walked it and instead they struggled in some games. I think there were rumours of player discontent with a new training style (more modern, better diet - Scots like a game of shooty-in, followed by a beer) and not a lot of respect from the team.

I think also it was that he was not a big name taking over a "big club" so they had their backs up right away.

Having to overhaul an old squad was one of his biggest complaints and he definitely took a chance on a lot of players (took four exciting young prospects from Dundee United's best team in generations, so fuck him for that) but a lot of them flopped. Looking back maybe Armstrong, Denayer, Ryan Christie (eventually) and Craig Gordon were proper successes, so that's four out of more than 20....

I dunno, I heard of him as an "exciting young coach" who was supposed to be the next big thing, but he got pretty continually shit on at Celtic for the above reasons, so that tinted my view of him.

hey NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan, you ever end up calling the club back and ask about the big announcements around the corner or besides a coach and maybe a player announcement it's all bs

Reactions: Kjbert
FWIW:

If we really are looking at this guy, I also have to figure Lee at al. are taking input from GMS, and Tinnerholm, who knew him as a coach and an opposing coach respectively, and if they were negative that would have to put the brakes on it..

If we really are looking at this guy, I also have to figure Lee at al. are taking input from GMS, and Tinnerholm, who knew him as a coach and an opposing coach respectively, and if they were negative that would have to put the brakes on it..
That would be the smart thing to do. But the NYCFC thing to do... ?

That would be the smart thing to do. But the NYCFC thing to do... ?
I’m not sure how much clout GMS has, but appointing someone Tinnerholm doesn’t respect seems inconceivable. Though as adam adam always properly reminds me, that word doesn’t seem to mean what I think it means when it comes to this team.

I’m not sure how much clout GMS has, but appointing someone Tinnerholm doesn’t respect seems inconceivable. Though as adam adam always properly reminds me, that word doesn’t seem to mean what I think it means when it comes to this team.
I'm sure if they asked GMS or Tinny they'd listen. I'm just not sure they'd think to ask :)