Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Regardless of Ronny In/Ronny Out, are they stirring the pot again like with the Van Brockhorst rumors when Dome was the coach?
Great! I mean, ugh. I mean, I don't know.

Obviously if you have a chance to have Guardiola coach, especially in a league like MLS, you take it. No question about that. But, I don't like making Ronny a lame duck. And the transition will be tricky. Ronny had a 3 year deal thru 2022. Pep is at Man City thru early summer 2023. You can offer Ronny a 1 year extension thru 2023 with the pre-set agreement that then it's over and Pep starts pre-season 2024. You can't ask Ronny to stay another half season then leave. But maybe Ronny won't sign a 1 year add-on deal. You could go with a caretaker for early 2023. Cushing is an obvious candidate. But is that something he wants? Why would he? And is that good for the team? It took Dome about 25 games to get the team playing his way when he started midseason. I don't want a designed midseason transition.

Short version: I want Pep but I don't see how to make a smooth transition from Ronny to him.

ETA: Like ZYanksRule ZYanksRule said. I'll believe Pep will coach without a monstrous budget when I see it.

100% chance to me that Pep ends up in NYCFC. Just a matter of when

If he comes here, I think it would be more on the technical director side. He will come here live in the city somewhat anonymously. He will start to make in roads with the USMNT and try to get that next open coaching position. CFG is not going to pay him $20M to coach here, or more accurately Hal/Yankees is not going to put in his $4M of that $20M salary. It would be great don't get me wrong, but I just don't see him dealing with the MLS rules, schedules and nomad stadium issues.

If he comes here, I think it would be more on the technical director side. He will come here live in the city somewhat anonymously. He will start to make in roads with the USMNT and try to get that next open coaching position. CFG is not going to pay him $20M to coach here, or more accurately Hal/Yankees is not going to put in his $4M of that $20M salary. It would be great don't get me wrong, but I just don't see him dealing with the MLS rules, schedules and nomad stadium issues.

Do we really think the Yankees provide any funding?

Reactions: gbservis
Dealing with MLS rules, salary limits, schedule congestion, traveling, etc., could be attractive to him. It would be the ultimate test for an elite coach that has passed all the other tests.

And... there is no way he's coming here.

Reactions: Majik and LionNYC
This article was probably some Philadelphia Union counter-intelligence to distract NYCFC from the match on Sunday

Reactions: mgarbowski
He and his family liked living in New York. For whatever that's worth.

Reactions: Kjbert
This article was probably some Philadelphia Union counter-intelligence to distract NYCFC from the match on Sunday

tbf there are also rumors going around that cincy wants to buy out Jim Curtin out of philly. offering more resources than philly.

Reactions: mgarbowski
The team will stumble into the playoffs. Maybe not 7th but lower than they should. Then they will win 2 playoff games. That’s more than they’ve ever managed, but still not winning the league or even the conference. Ronny supporters will point to having gone farther in the playoffs than any other NYCFC team or manager; detractors will point to 2 seasons of meh results and say the playoffs were just two games.
We will have the least amount of clarity possible. That’s my prediction.
What's this now?

you know, whatever he did as a coach that wasn’t the best or good or right or unsuccessful choice or whatever and had people calling for his head, he made more good or right choices to make that collection of dudes into a special team. The man did something to turn that team into Champions from the Gudi kick in Atlanta to Callens PK kick in Providence Park in Portland. Kudos BIG time to Rony and his staff. Unbelievable.

you know, whatever he did as a coach that wasn’t the best or good or right or unsuccessful choice or whatever and had people calling for his head, he made more good or right choices to make that collection of dudes into a special team. The man did something to turn that team into Champions from the Gudi kick in Atlanta to Callens PK kick in Providence Park in Portland. Kudos BIG time to Rony and his staff. Unbelievable.
Something I realized, or at least came to believe, only after 20-30 years of sports fanning, is that a coach or manager’s primary effect is on minds, culture, and the locker room. Not when to bunt, or call timeout, or run or pass, or setting formations and making subs. Those do matter, but it’s the stuff we don’t see and can’t talk about with any certainty that really matters most.

by the way, LOTS of congratulatory tweets from Celtic fans this morning

Last edited:
Something I realized, or at least came to believe, only after 20-30 years of sports fanning, is that a coach or manager’s primary effect is on minds, culture, and the locker room. Not when to bunt, or call timeout, or run or pass, or setting formations and making subs. Those do matter, but it’s the stuff we don’t see and can’t talk about with any certainty that really matters most.

by the way, LOTS of congratulatory tweets from Celtic fans this morning
I guess our roster has a kink for seeing a barely naked Norwegian man