Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Dropping players because they suck is not the same as someone being allowed to walk out of a contract.

All accounts seem to say a “deal” was worked out or that Ronny “convinced” nycfc. So it’s not like nycfc said ok you don’t have to come in on Monday to work.

again this is not regular business and coaching changes happen a lot. Not just in this sport but others.
It sucks big time we lose him but sudden changes are part of this business

Pure conjecture on my part, but I suspect that he wouldn't be making this somewhat lateral move if we had a stadium and a better home environment like Portland or some others.

I'm not sure what SL has going on, but I suspect it's better than our hodgepodge of sparsely filled stadiums.
I mean apparently they’re being bought by a private equity so I wouldn’t assume that

Reactions: Kjbert
A lot of this falls on MLS playing a different calendar than most leagues around Europe. Just so happens that every player and coach wants to be in Europe. This likely means he wanted to leave at the end of last season or this season if an opportunity opened up. With our season ending during the middle of European season nothing opened up so he had to wait till now.
This is also why I can’t be that upset about our players or coaches leaving during the middle of a season. They can’t do anything about our calendar.

Regarding the rumors on Ronny’s pay at the new job. If it is really that much more, there’s no blaming him and the decision becomes a lot more clear.

In addition, I have long wondered whether the departures of Dome & his staff and then Claudio had something to do with CFG wanting to cut costs at the Club. There were reports of Dome & his staff drawing very high salaries, and I would imagine the same was probably true of Claudio.

If so, it makes sense that this could be in part about compensation.

Regarding the rumors on Ronny’s pay at the new job. If it is really that much more, there’s no blaming him and the decision becomes a lot more clear.

In addition, I have long wondered whether the departures of Dome & his staff and then Claudio had something to do with CFG wanting to cut costs at the Club. There were reports of Dome & his staff drawing very high salaries, and I would imagine the same was probably true of Claudio.

If so, it makes sense that this could be in part about compensation.
How much are we talking? I saw on Twitter it was $5k more a year.

David Lee making significantly less than Claudio. But claudio was not let go. He wanted to take on a new challenge and the timing was right. It’s the longest they’ve ever lived in the same place

Reactions: Gotham Gator
A lot of this falls on MLS playing a different calendar than most leagues around Europe. Just so happens that every player and coach wants to be in Europe. This likely means he wanted to leave at the end of last season or this season if an opportunity opened up. With our season ending during the middle of European season nothing opened up so he had to wait till now.
This is also why I can’t be that upset about our players or coaches leaving during the middle of a season. They can’t do anything about our calendar.
But that’s known when they sign the contract.

What a bummer- but if he has aspirations of making it to the big 4-5 leagues, he probably has to get out of MLS sooner rather than later. I can’t blame him for that.

Reactions: Kjbert and Higgs1
I think the team was expecting this would happen back when Ronny was appointed, which is why we also brought in Medhi and Cushing.
And it's clear to i think all of us that Cushing is going to take over and Medhi probably becoming chief assistant.

And I also have a weird feeling that Cushing is being groomed for the Man City post in the future, so if he does become head coach, it might be for a few years until Pep leaves.

Dear City Members,

I hope you all are doing well. I wanted you to hear directly from us at the Club – and before we make the official announcement this morning to the press and general public – that Head Coach Ronny Deila is leaving NYCFC to join Belgian side Standard Liège. Assistant Coach Nick Cushing will assume the role of Interim Head Coach effective immediately.

It goes without saying that we are all extremely grateful to Ronny for his hard work and dedication – and helping us bring home our first-ever MLS Cup. We are also extremely confident in Nick who will step up to lead the squad alongside our other fantastic coaches, Rob Vartughian and Mehdi Ballouchy. I’m delighted to share that all three have signed new long-term contract extensions with the Club. Nick has a track record of success everywhere he has been. In addition to his key role in last year’s MLS Cup, he also brought home an impressive six trophies during his time as Manchester City Women’s Head Coach. Our ambition to win more trophies for our fans is unchanged. We have four more opportunities this year to win silverware – MLS Cup, Supporters Shield, US Open Cup & Campeones Cup – and we absolutely expect to compete for each of them.

Below is the press release with all the details, but we wanted you to be the first to receive this news.

I hope to see you at Yankee Stadium on Sunday for our match against Colorado at 5pm ET!

Cheers,
Brad​
Ronny Deila joins Standard Liège and Nick Cushing is named Interim Head Coach

Nick Cushing, Rob Vartughian and Mehdi Ballouchy agree to long-term extensions with the Club​
New York, N.Y., June 13, 2022 – New York City Football Club (NYCFC) today announced that Head Coach Ronny Deila is leaving the Club to join Belgian side Standard Liège, effective immediately. The Club has named Assistant Coach Nick Cushing as the Interim Head Coach.

The Norwegian coach departs after two and a half years in charge having led the Club to its first MLS Cup and delivering the first professional sports championship to New York City in over a decade. Also departing the Club and joining Ronny at Standard Liège is Assistant Coach Efraín Juárez. Nick Cushing, Rob Vartughian and Mehdi Ballouchy have all signed new long-term contracts with the Club.

David Lee, NYCFC Sporting Director, said: “Everyone at the Club would like to thank Ronny for the fantastic job he has done here. With Ronny at the helm, we have developed an even stronger culture of winning and togetherness and have accomplished our number-one goal of bringing silverware to this Club, to this City, and to our fans.

“We know this was not a decision Ronny took lightly, but we understand his desire to return to Europe and be closer to home. He has been a true leader since joining the Club and we wish him well for the next challenge in his career.”

Cushing won an impressive six trophies during his time as Manchester City Women’s Head Coach, including the 2016 Super League title and was named the FA WSL Manager of the Year in 2016.

Lee, continued: “While it is never ideal to have a change of Head Coach mid-season, we are excited for Nick Cushing to have this opportunity and have the utmost confidence in him given his previous experience as one of the most decorated coaches in the women’s game.

"After playing a vital role in winning MLS Cup and having been with the Club many years, we’re extremely pleased that Nick, Rob, and Mehdi have signed new contracts and will remain with the Club for the foreseeable future. This move ensures consistency in our culture and philosophy and that the same high standards will be upheld. The Club and First Team remain in an extremely strong position with a top-tier coaching staff providing consistency during this transition period."

"We are currently top of the Eastern Conference and are looking forward to competing for more trophies in all remaining competitions this season including U.S. Open Cup and the Campeones Cup. Our aim to once again be MLS Cup Champions has not changed.”

Cushing, said: ‘’We have an incredible team here at NYCFC and it’s a great group of players to work with. We remain as focused as ever as we prepare for a busy period of games beginning this weekend at home against Colorado. This is an exciting opportunity for me and I’m ready to continue the great work we have been undertaking as a coaching group over these past few years together.”

Since his arrival on January 6, 2020, Ronny oversaw an impressive 46-29-15 record across all competitions and delivered the Club’s first silverware in December 2021 following an unforgettable run to the MLS Cup title.

Deila said: “This was certainly not an easy decision for me and my family. However, I feel this is the right time to take on this new challenge and return to Europe.

“I would like to thank New York City Football Club and City Football Group. This is an incredible organization with extremely talented players, an amazing Sporting department and fantastic leadership across the Club including Ferran Soriano, Marty Edelman, David Lee and Brad Sims. Thank you to the fans, the passion you have for the Club has fueled us on the field, and we couldn’t have accomplished what we did last season without you.

The Club would like to congratulate Nick Cushing on his new role and sincerely thank Ronny and Efraín for their hard work and commitment and wish them every success in their future coaching endeavors.

I'm surprised at the "interim."

I am not. Smart clubs and teams won't rush to name coaches that are not known commodities. I do believe Cushing will succeed, but maintaining the interim tag is smart as it retains flexibility. It is essentially a pre-nuptial agreement.

Perhaps it is the glow of a Cup winning season, but I am actually fine with this manager change and less frustrated than I was when Vieira left. Vieira had instituted a new system and his departure derailed the learning curve. Also, he (from the outside) seemed instrumental in tactics and planning.

With Ronny, as someone noted earlier in this thread, his strength was culture. Much has been made of Vartughian's efforts on corner kicks, and Cushing has been with the team and long as Ronny and appears to be instrumental in strategy and planning. With the culture in place, and the team focused on a veteran + young South American roster build, losing the culture creator but retaining set play and game day tacticians may not be the worst thing.

I could be miserably wrong. However, I suspect that this transition will be smoother than either after Vieira or after Dome.

(I also wouldn't be shocked to see Chanot as player/assistant or full time assistant sooner rather than later)