Running Streaming Movies/TV Thread

Mythic Quest, also on Apple TV.

I have only watched 2 things from Apple TV+, this and Ted Lasso. Nothing else really has grabbed my attention, though I'm sure there might be other good stuff. But these 2 series alone mean you should find a way to get Apple TV+, if even just for 1-2 months to binge both of these.

The first season of Mythic Quest, which is a 30 minute comedy about a company that produces a MMORPG, ran 9 episodes and was great. Not transcendent, but great. It stars and is showrunned by the same guy as Everything's Sunny in Philadelphia (of which I've never seen even one episode but might have to try).

Last May they produced a one-off extra episode - "Quarantine" - which I just watched last night (because I had just finished Season 1 the previous week), and they reached transcendence. It achieves a truly Ted Lasso level and mix of humor, heart, pathos, despair, and optimism. I have rarely felt so moved by art, and to have done it in a 30 minute sitcom format is astounding. I cannot recommend it more highly, but do not, DO NOT watch it without first watching the entire first season. Without that background the relationships, jokes and plot lines will not have enough meaning for you to get full value. They apparently produced it almost entirely from the actors' actual homes using specially modified iPhones, yet the entire production shows no real signs of second tier production values, and the incorporation of video conferencing is completely organic and not gimmicky.

I believe both Ted Lasso and this show have second seasons coming in a few months.

giphy.gif
Spent 3 episodes feeling, "meh. but trust mgar."

In fairness, it delivered after that, and as advertised, the bonus episode really was extra special.

However, one kvetch.

The best characters in the entire first season they built and dispensed with in a single episode, never to be seen again. It's like they brought in guest writers for the Bean and Doc episode. Why can't all of their writing and character development be that good?

Reactions: mgarbowski
Try For All Mankind. They jus finished releasing season 2. Might be the best thing on TV right now. Especially if you enjoy NASA history.
2 episodes in. It's already obvious that the writers want to have a lot of fun with how different our world/societies could have been. Really fun watch.

Reactions: ALBNYfan
Spent 3 episodes feeling, "meh. but trust mgar."

In fairness, it delivered after that, and as advertised, the bonus episode really was extra special.

However, one kvetch.

The best characters in the entire first season they built and dispensed with in a single episode, never to be seen again. It's like they brought in guest writers for the Bean and Doc episode. Why can't all of their writing and character development be that good?
The obvious difference about that episode is it was a one-off where they felt free to break the conventions the series established for itself. But I think there's also another issue.
That episode was set in the past -- not distant but far enough to be removed from the current cultural moment. MQ is a workplace comedy in an era when comedy is somewhat fraught. I think it handles it well, and one of its tools is making characters who are a rather artful combination of flat and broad, yet also somewhat complicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: FootyLovin
If you're looking for something before Ted Lasso season 3, there's this show called The F1rst Team from the BBC on Tubi. It's absolute shit.

The show revolves around three young footballers, one of whom was a transfer from Sporting Kansas City. He even says “the MLS”. That made me furious.

Ted Lasso
I did not like how they handled Nate this season. It's OK that they used him to generate conflict, and setting him up to be an adversary next season. But none of it seemed earned. We were shown that his parents don't show him respect, and he felt threatened when Roy became a coach (though Ted, Roy and Beard gave him no reason to feel that way). And that's not really enough to justify how different he was this season from Season 1. He started out Season 2 being a jerk to the replacement kitman. Why? No good reason. One of the few odd things he did this season that seemed in character was kissing Keeley. I could see this insecure guy who's experiencing some success doing that. Everything else was off.
By the way, the new kit guy is credited as Will Kitman.
OAT, I predict Trent Crimm, Independent, will become Trent Crimm, Director of Publicity, Richmond.
Apart from that, I thought it was a solid second season. A notch or half at most below an excellent S1, but I disagree with those who've been saying the quality fell off a cliff.

Last edited:
Ted Lasso
I did not like how they handled Nate this season. It's OK they used him to generate conflict, and setting him up to be an adversary next season. But none of it seemed earned. We were shown his parents don't show him respect, and he felt threatened when Roy became a coach (though Ted, Roy and Beard gave him no reason to feel that way). And that's not enough to justify how different he was this season from Season 1. He started out season 2 being a jerk to the replacement kitman. Why? No good reason. One of the few odd things he did this season that seemed in character was kissing Keeley. I could see this insecure guy who's experiencing some success doing that. Everything else was off.
By the way, the new kit guy is credited as Will Kitman.
OAT, I predict Trent Crimm, Independent, will become Trent Crimm, Director of Publicity, Richmond.
Apart from that, I thought it was a solid second season. A notch or half at most below an excellent S1, but I disagree with those who've been saying the quality fell off a cliff.
Agree, both with your summary and with your prediction, which was my immediate thought when they were talking in the parking lot.

When Rupert gave Rebecca the shares for Richmond and then spoke to Nate I figured out he was going to buy another team and make him the manager. Also, West Ham United fans thinking now...
giphy.gif

Reactions: mgarbowski
2 episodes in. It's already obvious that the writers want to have a lot of fun with how different our world/societies could have been. Really fun watch.
For All Mankind

Just finished season 2. Very enjoyable. Wasn't excited at first about watching an alternate history show. But it is well done.

Got apple tv trial so i could watch Ted Lasso. My god Apple TV's streaming service is awful! Is there a way to get to the next episode without having to go all the way back???

Got apple tv trial so i could watch Ted Lasso. My god Apple TV's streaming service is awful! Is there a way to get to the next episode without having to go all the way back???
I see a lot of people saying that but in both the app and on my actual Apple TV it opens up to the Watch Now tab, and the first row of thumbnails is Up Next. So all the next episodes are all right there, just one click. It could possibly be different with a trial account but for me all the shows I'm watching are right there, right up front.

IMG_28747FD22956-1.jpeg

Reactions: Gotham Gator