Running Streaming Movies/TV Thread

I always thought I was the only one who thought rogue one was the best Star Wars movie. Glad I’m not the only one! It helps that I like Felicity Jones and Diego Luna a lot lol

I thought Rogue was good too. It had a different feel to it vs the other star wars movies, which was nice.

plus the last 30 seconds of the movie is EPIC

Reactions: JCMore
I always thought I was the only one who thought rogue one was the best Star Wars movie.
It's a pretty common opinion (which I also share).

As to Seth Seth's review, it's the second one that made the same point after three episodes about solid long-form storytelling. I've only seen the first episode. It's a bit slow to develop with a lot of talky exposition but I expect when I get to the third episode I'll see it the same way.

I thought Rogue was good too. It had a different feel to it vs the other star wars movies, which was nice.

plus the last 30 seconds of the movie is EPIC
100% agree. Reminded me of Miracle Mile, which I only went to because Tangerine Dream did the music and I knew nothing about the movie.

I like all the Star Wars movies and shows, some more than others of course, but Rogue One wasn't just a good Star Wars movie and part of the story, it was a good movie, period. If the prequels weren't Star Wars nobody would have ever gone to see them, but Rogue One was just a good movie, regardless of the Star Wars connection. And that's the difference.

Reactions: JCMore and moogoo
New Star Wars series on Amazon called Andor. Loved it. Three episodes out so far, with the next one coming on Wednesday, IMDB claims 12 this season and 12 the next.

It's sort of a prequel to Rogue One, so far telling the story of one of the Rogue One characters. First episode on its own was good, but if you sort of count the first three as one long intro it really got into gear. I've always felt Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie, and this has some of the same folks in charge. Really looking forward to more episodes.

I liked The Mandalorian, and also Obi-Wan, but while those were good and entertaining they're not near the level of storytelling that Andor has so far. Only three episodes, so we'll see, but looks good so far.

also wanted to clarify that Andor is on Disney+, not Amazon, in case anyone was interested in checking it out.

also wanted to clarify that Andor is on Disney+, not Amazon, in case anyone was interested in checking it out.
Ah, you're right, my fault. I watch all this stuff on an Apple TV so I sometimes lose track of where they came from. Which is why Netflix refuses to integrate fully and makes you go to their own app. Which as a user I hate, but as someone who's interested in both business and Apple I find fascinating.

So, in a further development, caught the end of one of the Bourne movies on my iPad towards the end of the work day today. Idly just watching the credits at the end and it said Screenplay by Tony Gilroy, and my ears perked up and I said, "wait a second, that sounds familiar, like I just saw that name the other day." And I remembered correctly because the same guy who wrote the screenplays for all the Bourne movies is the guy who did the screenplay for Rogue One and is the creator of Andor as well. And he wrote Michael Clayton too, just for fun.

At the moment, I am one episode behind on both House of Dragon (HBO) and Rings of Power (Amazon), but quick, non-spoiler reactions are House of Dragon is just meh so far, and Rings of Power kicks serious ass.

At the moment, I am one episode behind on both House of Dragon (HBO) and Rings of Power (Amazon), but quick, non-spoiler reactions are House of Dragon is just meh so far, and Rings of Power kicks serious ass.
Haven't seen House of Dragon so I can't comment on that, but have seen Rings of Power. I honestly haven't been blown away by it, it looks/feels too much like Narnia to me. I definitely want to see how the whole season goes before fully judging it, though the last episode (EP6) does give me some hope it was just a slow start setting the story and will now pickup.

I may eventually fall into the "LOTR Fan That Despises ROP" but I don't hate it so far, I just don't love it either. I think they spent too much time focusing on the CGI and having to explain everything directly, rather than using the actual beauty of New Zealand and letting the filming/actor's actions explain. I wish they'd let the viewer try to figure it out to see if it was something important or just a reference, instead of explaining what everything is.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Haven't seen House of Dragon so I can't comment on that, but have seen Rings of Power. I honestly haven't been blown away by it, it looks/feels too much like Narnia to me. I definitely want to see how the whole season goes before fully judging it, though the last episode (EP6) does give me some hope it was just a slow start setting the story and will now pickup.

I may eventually fall into the "LOTR Fan That Despises ROP" but I don't hate it so far, I just don't love it either. I think they spent too much time focusing on the CGI and having to explain everything directly, rather than using the actual beauty of New Zealand and letting the filming/actor's actions explain. I wish they'd let the viewer try to figure it out to see if it was something important or just a reference, instead of explaining what everything is.
Before I click on the spoiler you put here, does this spoiler include anything from the latest episode? Or am I safe to click it now without catching all the way up?

Reactions: Schwallacus
It's VERY high fantasy, which is probably why I'm not 100% on board yet but still sticking with it. I think you're right though, I loved the LOTR books growing up but couldn't get into the extended universe stuff. The storytelling itself has been fine, you just don't get hooked into it the same way.

This probably doesn't merit a spoiler tag but oh well.

Before I click on the spoiler you put here, does this spoiler include anything from the latest episode? Or am I safe to click it now without catching all the way up?
There's a reaction to the latest episode in their post but not any specific details

It's VERY high fantasy, which is probably why I'm not 100% on board yet but still sticking with it. I think you're right though, I loved the LOTR books growing up but couldn't get into the extended universe stuff. The storytelling itself has been fine, you just don't get hooked into it the same way.

This probably doesn't merit a spoiler tag but oh well.
Yeah, I've never really gotten into the extended universe stuff and perhaps that may be some of the reason I love this so much. I personally feel like it's a great tie-in to LOTR without going overboard on that end and it's building some good story and drama so far.

It definitely seems more in line with the LOTR movies than the Hobbit movies (which IMO, outside the first one, were atrocious) so I'm enjoying that.

Reactions: Schwallacus
New Star Wars series on Amazon called Andor. Loved it. Three episodes out so far, with the next one coming on Wednesday, IMDB claims 12 this season and 12 the next.

It's sort of a prequel to Rogue One, so far telling the story of one of the Rogue One characters. First episode on its own was good, but if you sort of count the first three as one long intro it really got into gear. I've always felt Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie, and this has some of the same folks in charge. Really looking forward to more episodes.

I liked The Mandalorian, and also Obi-Wan, but while those were good and entertaining they're not near the level of storytelling that Andor has so far. Only three episodes, so we'll see, but looks good so far.
That’s total Bantha crap. You been drinking Gammorean Ale? Empire is the best film. But Andor is definitely right up there. What also makes Andor special is it could be a complete stand alone film with no prior SW knowledge and it holds up great. Empire can’t even say that, but that’s not my only criteria to judge the best film. With that being said, the series Andor also carries itself well. And although I loved Mando & Obi, They do tend to drag out. What keeps you hanging on there is the expectation of fan service & Easter eggs (which you get in spades). Rogue One & Andor are more dystopian then the rest of the universe (besides maybe the Fallen Order game) and besides for Mon Mothma, Saw Gurera & Bail Organa, sticks to their own corner of the universe. And even those three characters I mentioned are used to highlight a more socio-economic/political angle than other SW films. (Yes I know that’s the whole plot of the prequels, but you don’t see gungans starving in the street or rioting due to lack of supplies from the trade Union blockade) Ok. Need to stop, but it’s a great show. Watch it.

Funny. I’m on the opposite spectrum. I read dance of dragons by GRRM, so HOD is that story fleshed out. And I’m enjoying it. ROP had way too much exposition. But it did start to take shape last episode. So I may flip flop by the time the two both end.

Funny. I’m on the opposite spectrum. I read dance of dragons by GRRM, so HOD is that story fleshed out. And I’m enjoying it. ROP had way too much exposition. But it did start to take shape last episode. So I may flip flop by the time the two both end.
And I haven't read any of the RR Martin books, while I have read Hobbit/LOTR, so definitely could have an impact on where I'm falling on the spectrum for both of them, haha.

Yeah, I've never really gotten into the extended universe stuff and perhaps that may be some of the reason I love this so much. I personally feel like it's a great tie-in to LOTR without going overboard on that end and it's building some good story and drama so far.

It definitely seems more in line with the LOTR movies than the Hobbit movies (which IMO, outside the first one, were atrocious) so I'm enjoying that.
Apologies for the lack of response, but yeah joe joe was right, no real spoilers, I just didn't want to influence anyone that hasn't yet seen the ROP series.

adam adam Seth Seth did you keep watching season 3 of For All Mankind?

Tell me if I'm crazy but, hoooooly shite did that get bad. Like, I've never seen a show where both the writing and the acting took such a nosedive. From really enjoyable in seasons 1 and 2 to laughably horrible in season 3. Of course, like an accident on the side of the road, wifey and I watched and watched to the bitter end. My god. Wow, was it bad.

adam adam Seth Seth did you keep watching season 3 of For All Mankind?

Tell me if I'm crazy but, hoooooly shite did that get bad. Like, I've never seen a show where both the writing and the acting took such a nosedive. From really enjoyable in seasons 1 and 2 to laughably horrible in season 3. Of course, like an accident on the side of the road, wifey and I watched and watched to the bitter end. My god. Wow, was it bad.
Ok, I hear you and agree. I think the writers faced 2 problems. #1 they really shouldn’t have kept the same cast for 3 seasons. What made this show great was it was a look into an era and how a group of astronauts (& staff/families) dealt with losing the space race, continuing it in a different direction. Once it got too far into the future, you need to re-cast. There’s needs to be a new generation of people dealing with the aftermath of the choices of the first generation. A couple of players in management positions and a some cameos would have been better than finding absurd reasons to drag the whole cast through history Forrest Gump style. #2 as they’ve now created their own branch of history, they are closing in on modern politics. Such as gay rights in the 90s and their own take on the Oklahoma bombing. That get’s a bit sketchy because it’s still relevant compared to the Cold War & Space Race, even Vietnam where there’s a consensus among 90% of the population about how to perceive those events. Season 4 will have to deal with terrorism and the war on terrorism at this rate. A transgender astronaut. It’s not sustainable. Honestly, I’m glad they got as far into history as they did, but they should have either wrapped it up in season 2 or totally re-cast (with 1-2 actors remaining) for season 3. IDK if it even go picked up for season 4, but you and your wife (& I) will all be enjoying the cringe some more if it does.

Ok, I hear you and agree. I think the writers faced 2 problems. #1 they really shouldn’t have kept the same cast for 3 seasons. What made this show great was it was a look into an era and how a group of astronauts (& staff/families) dealt with losing the space race, continuing it in a different direction. Once it got too far into the future, you need to re-cast. There’s needs to be a new generation of people dealing with the aftermath of the choices of the first generation. A couple of players in management positions and a some cameos would have been better than finding absurd reasons to drag the whole cast through history Forrest Gump style. #2 as they’ve now created their own branch of history, they are closing in on modern politics. Such as gay rights in the 90s and their own take on the Oklahoma bombing. That get’s a bit sketchy because it’s still relevant compared to the Cold War & Space Race, even Vietnam where there’s a consensus among 90% of the population about how to perceive those events. Season 4 will have to deal with terrorism and the war on terrorism at this rate. A transgender astronaut. It’s not sustainable. Honestly, I’m glad they got as far into history as they did, but they should have either wrapped it up in season 2 or totally re-cast (with 1-2 actors remaining) for season 3. IDK if it even go picked up for season 4, but you and your wife (& I) will all be enjoying the cringe some more if it does.
I kind of view as similar to Doctor Who. I’m not watching it for the Pulitzer prize winning literary quality but more because I’m enjoying it not only in spite of the cheesiness but sometimes because of it. And just like with Doctor Who, there’s the occasional great episode or moment. If you’re comparing it to The Expanse, say, it’s sorely lacking, but if you instead compare it to Flash Gordon maybe then it seems OK.

So bottom line, for me, is that I’m still enjoying it, even if I do roll my eyes at it on occasion.

Reactions: FootyLovin and adam