Running Streaming Movies/TV Thread

Ok, I hear you and agree. I think the writers faced 2 problems. #1 they really shouldn’t have kept the same cast for 3 seasons. What made this show great was it was a look into an era and how a group of astronauts (& staff/families) dealt with losing the space race, continuing it in a different direction. Once it got too far into the future, you need to re-cast. There’s needs to be a new generation of people dealing with the aftermath of the choices of the first generation. A couple of players in management positions and a some cameos would have been better than finding absurd reasons to drag the whole cast through history Forrest Gump style. #2 as they’ve now created their own branch of history, they are closing in on modern politics. Such as gay rights in the 90s and their own take on the Oklahoma bombing. That get’s a bit sketchy because it’s still relevant compared to the Cold War & Space Race, even Vietnam where there’s a consensus among 90% of the population about how to perceive those events. Season 4 will have to deal with terrorism and the war on terrorism at this rate. A transgender astronaut. It’s not sustainable. Honestly, I’m glad they got as far into history as they did, but they should have either wrapped it up in season 2 or totally re-cast (with 1-2 actors remaining) for season 3. IDK if it even go picked up for season 4, but you and your wife (& I) will all be enjoying the cringe some more if it does.
The recasting is a good idea that would probably have gone a long way. Some of the worst acting seemed to be from the actors being "aged" the most - Ed, Margo, special nod to Danny for youth award in this category. The writing issues I had weren't with the handling of modern issues but the just horribly unbelievable stuff. I'm all for suspension of disbelief, like I had no problem with Korean guy. But everyone on Mars knows Danny is a junkie yet Ed continues to assign him mission critical stuff? And then mechanical dog guy leaves him to monitor the thing that could kill everyone? So that what? He can cross the room to work on a laptop that could have been moved to the mission critical desk? I understand when writers want to move a story along. But c'mon!! Anyway, yes, it has been picked up for a 4th season. Inexplicably season 3 got the best ratings of any season for the show. Whadyagonedo?

Reactions: adam
adam adam M moogoo Just finished Wrexham season 1. OMG, loved that! They did such a fantastic job capturing the emotions of the sport.

Now I have to decide whether to follow the team (knowing that will give spoilers for this season) or wait for the documentary. Wifey and I are already discussing finding a long weekend where we could fly to Manchester and catch a Man City and a Wrexham match in one weekend.

adam adam M moogoo Just finished Wrexham season 1. OMG, loved that! They did such a fantastic job capturing the emotions of the sport.

Now I have to decide whether to follow the team (knowing that will give spoilers for this season) or wait for the documentary. Wifey and I are already discussing finding a long weekend where we could fly to Manchester and catch a Man City and a Wrexham match in one weekend.

i couldn't help myself while i was watching and looked up the team and of course google showed their current league and standing. so i already knew how the docuseries was gonna end, but it was still very enjoyable to watch.

Reactions: adam
i couldn't help myself while i was watching and looked up the team and of course google showed their current league and standing. so i already knew how the docuseries was gonna end, but it was still very enjoyable to watch.
Oh man. How could you? That's like checking the score before watching the big match you DVRed. Though that does give me hope that in future years I could still enjoy the series even if I learn about the season ahead. Anyway, seriously fun watch.

Reactions: moogoo
Oh man. How could you? That's like checking the score before watching the big match you DVRed. Though that does give me hope that in future years I could still enjoy the series even if I learn about the season ahead. Anyway, seriously fun watch.
I’ve been following them in the standing now and checking out matches aired on ESPN+. So next season is spoiled from that perspective. But I’m still looking forward to the insights on the team and personalities. It’s like hard knocks but so much better and more humorous & involves the community too.

I’ve been following them in the standing now and checking out matches aired on ESPN+. So next season is spoiled from that perspective. But I’m still looking forward to the insights on the team and personalities. It’s like hard knocks but so much better and more humorous & involves the community too.
I'll have to see. For now I'm keeping my blinders on until the next season drops. But I'm definitely tempted to follow in real time. And I'll have to find out if I can get over there for a match.

Maybe if we get an announcement we can make a new thread for wrexam 😂
1667998369300.png

Reactions: Schwallacus
Severance.

Just finished the first season.

Oh damn. I mean, daaaaamnnnn!

This has the makings of being the next big show that by season 3 or 4 everyone is watching.

As they say in the sporting world, it is theirs to lose.

The Bear.

I resisted this show for a long time. Don't know exactly why. Just had sort of a "meh" feeling about how it would be. Man was I wrong!

Fantastic.

Prequels.

Rings of Power (LOTR). Meh. Couldn't even make it thru the full season. Just couldn't bring myself to care enough about any of the characters.
House of Dragon. Good enough to watch but not great.
Andor. Fucking awesome. Can't wait for season 2.

Andor. Fucking awesome. Can't wait for season 2.
Andor is the best Star Wars anything ever and it’s not even close.* it’s also among the best spy/political thriller/subterfuge/heist/prison stories ever regardless of Star Wars, and Stellan Skarsgård absolutely rules.

Also, you dropped the second enthusiastic The Bear recommendation into my universal timeline this weekend and previously I never heard of it. I still have no idea what it’s about and might try to keep it that way until I watch it.

* at least among movies and live TV series because that’s all the Star Wars I intake

Last edited:
Just finished season 1. We need to get a beer sometime so you can explain this show to me. But very entertaining. :)
Well I'm all for that! LOL

Might be worth reading the book, perhaps. And there's a follow-up book too, as well as a third coming out at some point. The Peripheral, Agency, Jackpot. Not sure how reading the book after the show would feel as I read the book first a few years ago. And to be honest it was utterly inscrutable until about a third of the way through until you figured out things were happening in two timelines as it's not at all explained in the books and you're just thrown right in. Which was great fun! In a way the point of the book was the slow dawning of what's going, same for the reader as it was for the characters.

Well I'm all for that! LOL

Might be worth reading the book, perhaps. And there's a follow-up book too, as well as a third coming out at some point. The Peripheral, Agency, Jackpot. Not sure how reading the book after the show would feel as I read the book first a few years ago. And to be honest it was utterly inscrutable until about a third of the way through until you figured out things were happening in two timelines as it's not at all explained in the books and you're just thrown right in. Which was great fun! In a way the point of the book was the slow dawning of what's going, same for the reader as it was for the characters.
Some sci-fi is good enough in various ways that I just give up on understanding certain things. This may be one of those. Tho I'm still willing to try at this point. We'll discuss at a home match someday soon.

Reactions: Seth